The Brainless Box (aka Television Shows)

Talk about anything you want here
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Re: The Brainless Box (aka Television Shows)

Post by therogue »

AndreaDraco wrote:
therogue wrote:I don't like Supernatural but lord that is a beautiful man.
I echo the sentiment!

Perhaps we should start a thread about beautiful men... and women also, for our heterosexual friends. They have rights too!
:lol: aw hell, I'd likely just post a lot of Timothy Olyphant pictures. Justified is a must see for me for many reasons. ;)
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

therogue wrote: :lol: aw hell, I'd likely just post a lot of Timothy Olyphant pictures. Justified is a must see for me for many reasons. ;)
I don't watch Justified. I usually avoid FX, whose shows are usually very different from what I like. However, I keep reading awesome stuff about this series. Maybe I'll try with the pilot and see how I like it.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

AndreaDraco wrote: I don't watch Justified. I usually avoid FX, whose shows are usually very different from what I like. However, I keep reading awesome stuff about this series. Maybe I'll try with the pilot and see how I like it.
I love Justified. Its in its second season and renewed for a third. I started watching as I was already a Deadwood fan and the prospect of Tim Olyphant back in the hat was enough for me. ;) Raylan Givens is a lot less buttoned up than Seth Bullock and I do enjoy Raylan's ability to be unfailingly polite and yet still manage to insult someone down to the bone.
Attachments
Justified_Timothy_Olyphant.jpg
Maxor127
Sierra Obsessed

The Movie Remake I'd PROTEST!

Post by Maxor127 »

What's a Titanic? (Supernatural joke)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: The Movie Remake I'd PROTEST!

Post by Tawmis »

Maxor127 wrote:What's a Titanic? (Supernatural joke)
That episode was EXCELLENT!
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Tawmis wrote:
Really? Did you like it? I thought was lame :cry:
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

So Game of Thrones. Considering the hype and that I do love fantasy I watched it despite knowing nothing about the books. I liked it, the cast is great, the production values are fantastic but I am so goddamn sick of the fantasy trope of women being treated as second class citizens at best but more like cattle usually.

Someone tell me that the women get some agency in the story because ugh, I hate this trope so so much.

Also, hooo boy, I do get why HBO decided to film these books. o_O
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco wrote:
Tawmis wrote:
Really? Did you like it? I thought was lame :cry:
I liked it because I didn't know what was going on at first (I avoid spoilers at all cost). So one of the things, I like, is trying to figure out what's happening when something seems... off.

Like Bobby being married to Ellen. When that happened, I was like, "Wait? What? What's going on? She died with Jo!"

Then when they said, "Ever heard of the Titanic? Yeah, me neither."

I realized that somehow fate had been changed around! But I hadn't figured out it was Fate causing people to die because they were supposed to.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

therogue wrote:
Someone tell me that the women get some agency in the story because ugh, I hate this trope so so much.
Here! Here!

Believe me, the women in Martin's books may start of as second-class citizens, as you put it, but they struggle, they fight, they rebel. And in the end many of them - Arya and Daenerys being the primary example - are perhaps the most strong-minded, courageous, noble and powerful characters of the novels.
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

Thats good to read because while I liked the episode well enough, especially events regarding the white haired lady (hell, don't expect me to remember names at this point) were angry making and I like my entertainment to contain less angry making things. Also, I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to laugh at that ending scene but I totally did. I know I'm a bad person :P The dude was just so: la! screwing my sister la! oh hello child. oh well *punts child out of window* ah! c'est la vie and I was like o_O
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

You are a bad person :D

Poor Bran... is my favorite character from the book, along with Daenerys (the white-haired lady ;) ) and Arya, the little girl that an helm on her at one moment
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

This thread began with me trying to encourage people to check out Human Target and now my wife has emailed the sad news that the dipsh!t management teams of FOX decided to axe it now...
F|_|ckheads @ FOX wrote:
Fox has cancelled FIVE series in one swift stroke, while picking up several others: Human Target was shot down for a third season, Christian Slater is now 0 for 3 as a TV series lead, The Chicago Code and Lie to Me was just taken out and Traffic Light was switched off.

The action drama Human Target is being axed after two rounds. Though the show was considerably revamped for this season, the series struggled to gain ground in the ratings. Target averaged 7.6 million viewers and a 2.2 rating this season, including DVR use, down from its first season average of 2.9. Lie to Me is also gone — it averaged exactly the same as Target, and dropped the same amount from last season.

Fox also axed Breaking In, the freshman comedy about a security team starring Slater. The show averaged a healthy 2.9 in the ratings due to a strong premiere, but more recent episodes fell off considerably despite following American Idol. Fellow post Idol straggler Traffic Light is also gone.

Freshman cop drama The Chicago Code is also cancelled. Creator Shawn Ryan retweeted the news and wrote: “Dammit.”

The axing comes right on the heels of Fox giving a series orders to Bones spin-off The Finder and to J.J. Abrams new prison mystery drama Alcatraz, and picking up two new comedies starring Zooey Deschanel and Jaime Pressly.
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

Damn, I'm dissapointed that The Chicago Code is gone. Jennifer Beals is great in it and shows led by strong female characters are pretty thin on the ground.
therogue
Sierra Veteran

Post by therogue »

talking about strong female characters; the season 2 finale of the Good Wife is hands down my favourite of the season so far.

Alicia, Kalinda and Diane are in my opinion some of the most well rounded and characterised female characters around.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

I love that show. It's nice to see one strong female character these days, let alone 3 in the same show.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”