Choose my next adventure

Nonspecific Sierra games or ones that do not have its own forum.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:52 pm
notbobsmith wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:52 pm So here is my ranking of the games I played:

1. Conquests of Camelot: The Search for the Grail
2. Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of Robin Hood
I really liked both of these games. They both had very good stories. Good work on designing the settings. Puzzles that were challenging without being frustrating. These were easily my favorites from my list. I’m placing Camelot a bit higher since I think it was more challenging-in-a-good-way. I also have to give it bonus points for having a smart text interface.
Christy Marx has a very extensive and impressive writing history - from animated cartoons, to TV shows, to video games, to comics!
I've seen a bunch of her stuff over the years. I do like that for her only live action film credit, she includes a link to badmovies.org. At least she's good-natured about it. :)
Tawmis wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:52 pm
notbobsmith wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:52 pm 8. The Dagger of Amon Ra
I think the addition of more puzzle solving versus The Colonel’s Bequest helped. It still has the problem where the evidence you gather doesn’t really solve the mystery. And there’s the issue of being trapped in a museum in the middle of New York. Break a window. At least a mansion in the middle of a bayou makes sense.

10. The Colonel’s Bequest
I really wanted to like this more than I did. The set up and mood are great, but it just doesn’t feel like a game to me. I could have just meandered around the house until the end and still ended up with the same conclusion.
Interesting, I prefer Colonel's Bequest over Dagger of Amon Ra.
I kept rearranging the middle ones on the list over and over. I liked Colonel's Bequest setting and tone. I thought that Dagger of Amon Ra improved the gameplay, but I had other issues with it. The attempts at humor were very hit or miss. And the tone wasn't always consistent. People would sometimes die in odd, "humerous" ways, like being impaled by a pterodactyl statue. Looking at exhibits in the museum would give you a realistic description, a joke description, or one which starts out sounding realistic but would turn into a joke. In the end I thought the improved gameplay overcame these flaws, although I think still think neither actually lets you solve a mystery.

For the most part, I think I can say that I really liked the Conquest Games and the only one I genuinely disliked was Willy Beamish.
BBP wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:56 am Nice list, thank you!

Interesting you're such a fan of the Conquest games. I only played Camelot of those and never got past the boar. Mind you, Camelot has the best Easter egg.

Although my list would look very different on the top end (Shivers being much higher and Freddy being much lower) I can agree with pretty much all your statements. Freddy was even painful to me since I so wanted to play that as a Larry fan, but without manual and no subtitles whatsoever I couldn't understand very much and the jokes I did get fell flat. Plus too much scatological humour. When I made the script though I laughed out loud quite a number of times!
I'm not a fan of scatological humor either, but it didn't quite cross the line for me. I did like how it upended a lot of the Western movie tropes. The Indian is from, well, India. A snail stampede. Freddy being more of a Dudley Do-Right than your typical western brooding loner protagonist.

Return to “Other Sierra Games”