Let's Play Sierra Games - Quest for Glory II

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Re: Let's Play Sierra Games - Quest for Glory II

Post by goatmeal »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:13 pm Just to get throwing up a little.
Bleeech!

goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:33 pm
Just wondering: if the beggar has 150 dinars, doesn't he stop being a beggar? That's more than you had when you started the game. (All right, I'm thinking real-world). ;)
Spoiler: That's what happened to Sam the Banker in QFG5 -- he was originally the beggar in the town of Spielburg in QFG1.

https://questforglory.fandom.com/wiki/Samuel
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

goatmeal wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:25 pm
Tawmis wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:13 pm Just to get throwing up a little.
Bleeech!
:lol:
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:33 pm
Tawmis wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:26 am What I ended up doing was testing a theory that NBS mentioned - that if you got something and ye didn't have enough Dinar to cover it - if it would dip into the Centime count. And it does.

So the beggar got like 150 dinar total (and I was down to 0 dinar and 2 centime... but money is so easy to get now...)

It was also great for my honor score.
Just wondering: if the beggar has 150 dinars, doesn't he stop being a beggar? That's more than you had when you started the game. (All right, I'm thinking real-world). ;)
This kind of reminds me of the Expert Pickpocket trainer in Skyrim. She's a homeless woman in Windhelm. So first of all, why is she homeless if she is apparently such a good pickpocket? Secondly, since I don't play as I thief, I just end up paying for training. Over the course of the game, I must have given her a small fortune for training.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

OK - I had to google an answer inside the Forbidden City - where it says to speak the name.

I would have assumed it was Iblis since that's the statue you're after - however, it's Suleiman. I don't recall hearing that name ever. Unless Ad Avis said it outside, and I wasn't paying attention. (Side note, if you say Iblis - there's a loud sound of rocks - then your game completely locks up. Can't do anything. Similar to if you feed/water the beast in the cage too many times, it locks up - experienced both).

So where is the name Suleiman mentioned? (I don't mind spoilers for this one since I had to look up the name)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Finished it. Defeating Ad Avis was lame. Took me a moment, and it was basically an accident - because I notice the hero went into "run" mode.
I was certain the mirror was the key (reflecting a spell back that knocks him out the window, not rushing into him).

Definitely felt like that was anti-climatic.

Admittedly, I fell for the statue right up the stairs the first time.

Converting them from the DOSBox captures to import into my editor and will be uploading. I will probably speed up the training montages I did. :lol:
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:20 pm
Collector wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:31 am
Tawmis wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:05 am But is there a way to change Centine to Dinar (the smaller coin to the larger?) I am carrying like 550 centine and like 60 dinar. Would love to convert the centine.

Went to the money changer but can't seem to figure it out if it is possible?
You could root around the source code to see.
I might after I am done. Wanna avoid rooting around source code to avoid being reminded what to do.

And wonder if it would be "programable" as a "patch" :D
I was thinking that Eric Oakford had decompiled QfG2, but it was only the demo. SCI Companion does have a decompiler, but the results usually require some effort to fix the result to recompile. Eric's archive also includes original system scripts instead of the decompiled ones. Even if you do not want to put in much effort, just a few decompiles should let you browse the code to find things.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

notbobsmith wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:17 pm This kind of reminds me of the Expert Pickpocket trainer in Skyrim. She's a homeless woman in Windhelm. So first of all, why is she homeless if she is apparently such a good pickpocket? Secondly, since I don't play as I thief, I just end up paying for training. Over the course of the game, I must have given her a small fortune for training.
She is homeless because, in Skyrim, you can't sell your stolen items to any merchant. You have to go to the Thieves' Guild, in Riften ... and to do that, you have to be able to afford transport on that wagon thing ... and then go through that rigmarole of going through those tunnels (and killing a few people, and undoing a few traps) ...

.................. which is kind of hard to do if you can't sell your stolen stuff to buy armour and weapons and such. ;)

Besides, how much would you get if you sold a few stolen apples? ;)
Tawmis wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:32 am OK - I had to google an answer inside the Forbidden City - where it says to speak the name.

I would have assumed it was Iblis since that's the statue you're after - however, it's Suleiman. I don't recall hearing that name ever. Unless Ad Avis said it outside, and I wasn't paying attention. (Side note, if you say Iblis - there's a loud sound of rocks - then your game completely locks up. Can't do anything. Similar to if you feed/water the beast in the cage too many times, it locks up - experienced both).

So where is the name Suleiman mentioned? (I don't mind spoilers for this one since I had to look up the name)
I think the name Suleiman appears in the FACS Manual, but I think it also appears in the game -- if you listen closely to the Poet Omar's poems, or if you ask Aziza about elementals and their history.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:32 pm
Tawmis wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:32 am OK - I had to google an answer inside the Forbidden City - where it says to speak the name.
I think the name Suleiman appears in the FACS Manual, but I think it also appears in the game -- if you listen closely to the Poet Omar's poems, or if you ask Aziza about elementals and their history.
Ah, the manual would make sense. I swear I wrote down everyone's name (except the merchants) if someone said something - so I could ask about it. And I know I asked about the Elementals (of both Aziza and the pill maker, Harik).

So - the total game time play is 13 hours...! :shock:

Which makes sense, as it's spanned over like 14+ days in game. 1 hour per day would make that average.

But I did some post editing (and it's such a pain lol) - but sped up the combat, and sped up some of the desert wandering...

Which brought it down to 11 hours. It will day about a day to render.

For commentary, I will probably splice that up into several sections. No way am I talking 11 hours straight. :lol:
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I wouldn't mind listening to you talk for 11 hours straight about QfG2. :lol: But I agree, splicing it into (say) 30-minute segments makes sense.

As for the elementals: you can also ask Abdulla Doo, Rakeesh, the astrologer and Keapon Laffin about them. They all have interesting (or in Keapon's case, amusing in a :roll: kind of way) things to say. ;) Even so, IIRC:

- Harik can give valuable clues about the fire elemental
- Keapon Laffin for the air one
- Rakeesh for the earth one
- Aziza for the water one.

It's been ages since I played QfG2 all the way through, but it seems like common sense to me. *nods*
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:33 am I wouldn't mind listening to you talk for 11 hours straight about QfG2. :lol: But I agree, splicing it into (say) 30-minute segments makes sense.

As for the elementals: you can also ask Abdulla Doo, Rakeesh, the astrologer and Keapon Laffin about them. They all have interesting (or in Keapon's case, amusing in a :roll: kind of way) things to say. ;) Even so, IIRC:

- Harik can give valuable clues about the fire elemental
- Keapon Laffin for the air one
- Rakeesh for the earth one
- Aziza for the water one.

It's been ages since I played QfG2 all the way through, but it seems like common sense to me. *nods*
Correct on the info given by those four.

Keapon is the worse. I couldn't even find him funny.

The annoyance level of Keapon is a thousandfold greater than Cedric.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Is it because of the puns? *raises eyebrow* Honestly, I didn't find Keapon annoying. English is my second language (and other than QfG, I wasn't exposed to puns or other wordplay until after secondary/high school), so maybe that's why. *shrug*

Nowadays I'd roll my eyes at most puns, but if a pun is well-constructed and thought out, I can still crack a smile at it. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:35 pm Is it because of the puns? *raises eyebrow* Honestly, I didn't find Keapon annoying. English is my second language (and other than QfG, I wasn't exposed to puns or other wordplay until after secondary/high school), so maybe that's why. *shrug*
Nowadays I'd roll my eyes at most puns, but if a pun is well-constructed and thought out, I can still crack a smile at it. :)
I love puns, when they make sense and are funny.
99% of Keapon is neither of those.

It's random gibberish that rhymes.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Side note, the 11 hour video is uploaded, but Youtube is still processing it... and considering it's length, it will probably take several hours...
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Here it is in all it's (Quest for) Glory!

Return to “The Quest for Glory Series”