Three Clues - Who Am I?

Just like the title says. Fun little forum related games and threads. Come in here and have some fun!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Three Clues - Who Am I?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Are you an inventory item? :)
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:45 am Are you an inventory item? :)
Yes
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

You are?! :shock: Hooray! At least I got one right! :D

I can see you are not a living thing, but were you alive once?
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:23 pm You are?! :shock: Hooray! At least I got one right! :D

I can see you are not a living thing, but were you alive once?
No
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:07 am Funny. I forgot about the intro. I remembered them floating near Valanice later in the game. I didn't think I was right since many of the clues didn't fit.

And here are my clues:

I'm used only once
Can be used for anything
Hidden in plain sight
Just figured it out - or pretty sure I did.

It's so damn stupid. If I remember correctly I had the worse time trying to figure out what it was.

Are you the duct tape?

notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:55 am
notbobsmith wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:07 am Funny. I forgot about the intro. I remembered them floating near Valanice later in the game. I didn't think I was right since many of the clues didn't fit.

And here are my clues:

I'm used only once
Can be used for anything
Hidden in plain sight
Just figured it out - or pretty sure I did.

It's so damn stupid. If I remember correctly I had the worse time trying to figure out what it was.

Are you the duct tape?
Yes, I am!

I'm used only once - It only gets used once in the game
Can be used for anything - Duct tape can be used for anything
Hidden in plain sight - Like you mentioned, it's really hard to find even though it's just sitting there on top of the fridge. During my playthrough, this is what finally broke me and I had to resort to a walkthrough.

Also:
Quack - A certain percentage of the population think it is called "duck" tape.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:08 am Hidden in plain sight - Like you mentioned, it's really hard to find even though it's just sitting there on top of the fridge. During
They clearly forgot to include any sort of description as to what it was.
It looks like a bowl, to me, in the game... which is logical on top of a fridge.
The duct tape on top of a fridge? Not so logical. Should have been on top of the counter, where the sugar and other stuff was...
And it's more logical that the sugar and other stuff, if anything, be the stuff on top of the fridge...
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Ok.

From a distance, I am complete
Come close, by using your feet
You will see
I am split in three.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:55 am It's so damn stupid. If I remember correctly I had the worst time trying to figure out what it was.
Have you tried "LOOK ON TOP OF FRIDGE" or "LOOK FRIDGE TOP" or "LOOK FRIDGE"? ;)
notbobsmith wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:08 am Quack - A certain percentage of the population think it is called "duck" tape.
That is also stupid. Duct tape makes sense; It was commonly used in construction, to wrap air ducts. Duck tape makes ... well ... very angry ducks. :P
Tawmis wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:51 pm Ok.

From a distance, I am complete
Come close, by using your feet
You will see
I am split in three.
All right. Are you a game with 'Quest' in the title? ;)
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:48 pm
notbobsmith wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:08 am Hidden in plain sight - Like you mentioned, it's really hard to find even though it's just sitting there on top of the fridge. During
They clearly forgot to include any sort of description as to what it was.
It looks like a bowl, to me, in the game... which is logical on top of a fridge.
The duct tape on top of a fridge? Not so logical. Should have been on top of the counter, where the sugar and other stuff was...
And it's more logical that the sugar and other stuff, if anything, be the stuff on top of the fridge...
At first I thought it was one of those older style fridges with the compressor on top. Not a good idea to make an important item gray like the fridge.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:41 pm
Tawmis wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:55 am It's so damn stupid. If I remember correctly I had the worst time trying to figure out what it was.
Have you tried "LOOK ON TOP OF FRIDGE" or "LOOK FRIDGE TOP" or "LOOK FRIDGE"? ;)
LOOK FRIDGE just describes the fridge and doesn't mention the tape. If you look at Tawmis' video, the game replies to "LOOK ON FRIDGE" with "You've left me responseless." "LOOK ON TOP OF ICEBOX" is what finally gets the game to mention the tape. This was the frustrating thing about Codename: Iceman. This isn't the only time where an item is not clearly shown and you are left hunting for the specific words to identify it. The game is unforgiving that way.
notbobsmith wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:08 am Quack - A certain percentage of the population think it is called "duck" tape.
That is also stupid. Duct tape makes sense; It was commonly used in construction, to wrap air ducts. Duck tape makes ... well ... very angry ducks. :P
I ended up looking it up on Wikipedia: "Duck tape" is recorded in the Oxford English Dictionary as having been in use since 1899 and "duct tape" (described as "perhaps an alteration of earlier duck tape") since 1965. I guess I had it backwards.

Anyway:

Does the game take place in a fantasy setting?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:41 pm All right. Are you a game with 'Quest' in the title? ;)
Yes.
notbobsmith wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:55 pm Does the game take place in a fantasy setting?
Yes.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

notbobsmith wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:55 pm
LOOK FRIDGE just describes the fridge and doesn't mention the tape. If you look at Tawmis' video, the game replies to "LOOK ON FRIDGE" with "You've left me responseless." "LOOK ON TOP OF ICEBOX" is what finally gets the game to mention the tape. This was the frustrating thing about Codename: Iceman. This isn't the only time where an item is not clearly shown and you are left hunting for the specific words to identify it. The game is unforgiving that way.
Unfortunately, C:I isn't the only game like that. There are parts of Leisure Suit Larry 2 (especially the ending!!!) where, if you don't phrase something in a very specific way, it's game over.

There's a reason they used to say "Save early, save often." :)
notbobsmith wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:55 pm
I ended up looking it up on Wikipedia: "Duck tape" is recorded in the Oxford English Dictionary as having been in use since 1899 and "duct tape" (described as "perhaps an alteration of earlier duck tape") since 1965. I guess I had it backwards.
Oh! I also had it backwards, apparently. It was called "duck tape" because of two things (from wikipedia, emphasis mine):

1. During World War II, Revolite (then a division of Johnson & Johnson) developed an adhesive tape made from a rubber-based adhesive applied to a durable duck cloth backing.
2. Duck cloth (also called "cotton duck", "duck canvas" or simply "duck") is a heavy, plain woven cotton fabric. Duck canvas is more tightly woven than plain canvas. (Source: Cotton duck).

The term "duck", by the way, comes from the Dutch word doek, which refers to a linen canvas once used for sailors' white trousers and outerwear.

Cotton duck is still used for lots of things from sneakers to painting canvas, tents, sandbags etc. If it's treated with wax, it can be made waterproof (see waxed cotton).

Sorry to go on about this. :) I just thought it was interesting.
Tawmis wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:12 am
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:41 pm All right. Are you a game with 'Quest' in the title? ;)
Yes.
notbobsmith wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:55 pm Does the game take place in a fantasy setting?
Yes.
Are you somewhere in Quest for Glory?
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Are you in a King's Quest game?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

No to QfG because, yes to KQ.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Well, darn it. :| NBS is in KQ8 ... and Tawm is in KQ. Umm...?

I know KQ, more or less, but of course I know more about QfG. ;)

Can anyone be in QfG? I don't know ... and of course I'm not banging on the table or demanding it. That would be childish. :P

So, let's see. Are you in an even-numbered KQ game (2, 4, 6 or 8)? :)

Return to “Community Games”