New Acquisitions Thread (image heavy)

Where to Find Sierra classic games. Please note: Most of the Sierra games have areas on the forum designated for them! If you have an issue with one of the Sierra games, please post them in the correct forum!
Jules
Delta Babe

Re: New Acquisitions Thread (image heavy)

Post by Jules »

Does it look like this, only it says EGA at the bottom?
Attachments
sq72.jpg
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I wish that eBay would ban the use of "stock" images. The entry should either have a photo of the actual item or no image altogether. It is obvious when the seller is being deceptive when they use a "stock" image and at the very bottom of the page in small print say that it does not include the box.

Of course it it didn't identify that it did not include the box, demand that he makes it right. If it was noted it did not include the box, but he tried to obscure that fact, include the fact in his feedback.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rudy wrote: Awww :(. Did it say on the description that the box was not included?
No. But it was deceptive in the description. It had a picture of the box, which now I notice has the MobyGames.com logo - and then below it it says "Includes 3.5 Disks & Manual." I SHOULD have double checked. I was just too eager to see it at a reasonable price. I am currently bidding on another (that also has SQ3, which I don't need) - and seeing if I can nab that one.
Jules wrote:Does it look like this, only it says EGA at the bottom?
Nay, that's the VGA remake box.

This is the original: http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/atari ... /243-1.jpg
But they also released this: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/15 ... _large.jpg

It's the latter of the two that I was looking to get. The original is much more difficult. But when I first purchased SQ1EGA with my friend Shawn, it was the 2nd box we had, so that's the one I'd like to get. (Back then we used to go 50/50 on Sierra games, and ownership of the actual game swapped every game - so SQ1EGA was his).
Collector wrote:I wish that eBay would ban the use of "stock" images. The entry should either have a photo of the actual item or no image altogether. It is obvious when the seller is being deceptive when they use a "stock" image and at the very bottom of the page in small print say that it does not include the box.

Of course it it didn't identify that it did not include the box, demand that he makes it right. If it was noted it did not include the box, but he tried to obscure that fact, include the fact in his feedback.
Told the wife, her account, so I will let her deal with it.
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

Already have the Online Systems Apple II release and PC Jr re-release, and now also the SierraVision Atari 8-bit release, sealed.

Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rudy wrote:Already have the Online Systems Apple II release and PC Jr re-release, and now also the SierraVision Atari 8-bit release, sealed.

Nice. I never realized HOW extensive Sierra's gaming catalog was ...
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

The guy apparently has a few SQ1 EGA out of the box... he's selling the same exact thing...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Space-Quest-Sarien- ... 3cb041ad6c

Same guy. Same description.
Hedegaard
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Hedegaard »

Yes and there he writes: "WHAT YOU GET:
This auction is for the original media, and includes only the media"

Which is obscure, but still "legal", technically you got what you bid for :(
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Hedegaard wrote:Yes and there he writes: "WHAT YOU GET:

Yes. I admit, my fault. I was too quick to bid without double checking. I just saw the box and saw the "Includes floppy, manual." So I thought the box and the floppy and manual...

Clever bastard.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote:

Yes. I admit, my fault. I was too quick to bid without double checking. I just saw the box and saw the "Includes floppy, manual." So I thought the box and the floppy and manual...

Clever bastard.
Which is why I said to leave it in his feedback, since there is not much more that you can do.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:
Tawmis wrote:

Clever bastard.
Which is why I said to leave it in his feedback, since there is not much more that you can do.
Mentioned it to the wife. Since it's her account. I would not be as kind...
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

If the picture is clearly not a self-made picture of the item itself, always read the description in detail. In practice I don't even bother bidding on items which don't have a picture of the item that will be delivered. I don't trust such auctions, and usually for good reason. And even if the picture looks like the seller took it himself, I STILL read the description in detail. For example, I'm still looking for the Gabriel Knight Mysteries box, complete of course. Now check the picture below out.

Looks pretty darn cool eh? Self-made picture, includes the box, novel, jewelcase and he even throws in GK3 as a bonus. Buy-it-now for $54.99, what a deal!

Ok, now read the description. Still interested?

The seller you bought from, Tawmis, doesn't have any self-made pictures on his auctions it seems. My guess is because he doesn't have a cam. But he DOES say in the description what the buyer will receive. Sorry, but I can't blame the seller.
Attachments
GK_Myst.JPG
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rudy wrote: But he DOES say in the description what the buyer will receive. Sorry, but I can't blame the seller.
Didn't say I blamed him. Even said I was an idiot for not checking. But with the picture of the box, and then says "Includes blah blah" - I thought he was implying that the stuff is included in the box.

Sort of like showing an XBOX box or something and saying: "Item is for one controller."

You see the XBOX box and you think it's an XBOX with only one controller vs 2 controllers.

And turns out, all you're bidding on is the controller.

And really - who doesn't have a digital camera of some kind? Whether it's a web cam, digital camera, or their phone? Phones have been able to take pictures since oh - like 8 years or more?

Just saying. No cam is a lame excuse. :)

At least SPECIFY that it doesn't include the box if you're going to include an image of it.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote:No cam is a lame excuse. :)
Agreed. These days it is very unlikely that someone would not have some kind of camera. I would rather have a blurry image from a cell phone than one stolen from Moby. Some sellers will hide the fact that the item is lacking by only stating something that alludes to the fact in small print at the very end of the page. Some of the more honest sellers that do this will at least have "Stock Image" or some such on the image or will state the fact right off at the beginning of the description.

I find it not much different than if someone was selling a car with its doors missing and advertising it with an image of a perfect car of the same model from an auto show. I always look out for this, but I still find the practice deceptive.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:
Tawmis wrote:No cam is a lame excuse. :)
Agreed. These days it is very unlikely that someone would not have some kind of camera. I would rather have a blurry image from a cell phone than one stolen from Moby. Some sellers will hide the fact that the item is lacking by only stating something that alludes to the fact in small print at the very end of the page. Some of the more honest sellers that do this will at least have "Stock Image" or some such on the image or will state the fact right off at the beginning of the description.

I find it not much different than if someone was selling a car with its doors missing and advertising it with an image of a perfect car of the same model from an auto show. I always look out for this, but I still find the practice deceptive.
It is. In the end, I simply got too excited and didn't think clearly.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Whoo Hoo! Won another Space Quest 1 EGA (along with Space Quest 3, which I already had and will probably put on ebay with the Space Quest 1 EGA disks I got the first time) to try and lighten the load of how much I spent just to get one damn game!

Return to “This Old Game”