The D&D Corner (and other Pen & Paper - or virtual - RPGs!) <3

Just like the title says. Fun little forum related games and threads. Come in here and have some fun!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: The D&D Corner

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:40 pm :lol: 18 NPCs trying to win a date. Narrowing it down to 7, then 3. No wonder someone compared this to a dating game show. ;)
Three dates lined up? OK. Hopefully not all at the same time. (I also hope the three of them aren't backbiting at each other -- that's more the sort of thing they do on reality shows, like "Big Brother"). :roll:
Heh, with this game (Off Week), I adlib everything and really let the players help tell the story - rather than me really having too much planned.

Was fun - because Aros (Halfling Rogue Player) went up to the one who looked the richest (of the narrowed down 3) and said, "We're drawing names out of a hat to see who goes on the date first, then second, then third. For a few gold, I can put your name in there more." I had him roll a Persuasion, and he rolled really high - so the guy paid 30 gold (which is a lot in this town). So then after drawing the names (made the Rogue do Slight of Hand to make sure no one saw him put the NPC's name in more times, and then d100 - 65% chance (01 to 65 on a D100) to pull the name; and he did. So then he pulled out the name for Date 2 and Date 3 (01-50 NPC02 goes second, 51-100 NPC02 goes third). So once the third was established, the Rogue approached him and said, "I room with her. For some coin I can get you one of her private garments." :lol:

This is all stuff I would NEVER normally allow - because it's too silly - but the Off Week Game is all about RP and being silly.

So Date 3 (an Elf) paid 5 gold; not believing the Rogue (assuming the Rogue was gonna pocket the money). Aros did it - so later, when the party was talking to a wizard in town that was helping them, I had the Elf approach, just as Galiena was about to ask Aros for some help; and reveal Aros had stolen her bra, and that he didn't think Aros would really do it and profusely apologized. So now she was mad at Aros (not for real, but character wise) just before she was going to ask his help for something! Made for so many great RP moments. :lol:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

The Work Group Game - Session 48!
The Carnival Arrives!
http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... nturers-48
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

:lol: Dare I ask what Aros used - Sleight of Hand, I presume?

I can just imagine the Elf's apology. "You are a true master, my friend. Here are the 5 gold, as promised." Meanwhile, Galiena is glowering. "I HATE YOU BOTH!" :mad:

Why does Aros remind me of Zevran from "Dragon Age: Origins"? ;)

I wonder if that skill is useful for anything else. "You round the corner and espy an orc, asleep at the guard station."

"I use Sleight of Hand to steal his helmet/spear/chain-mail!" :P

Would that work? Maybe? ;)
========================
As for the Work Group Game ... I'm a little confused here.
...Ms Claws looks around excitedly.
Is this Salia from "Tashara’s Palace of the Sensual"? Salia Claws? Any relation to a certain overweight man with a red suit? ;)
...angry, bloodthirsty gnomes.
Uh-oh. Salia's "elves"? :P (Like Santa's, but not as nice?)
The old woman’s appearance is remarkably close to an old woman...
I should hope so!
Buppido quickly goes to the food first, and looks at all the grapes, breads, meats, and wonderful food like he’s never seen before, all around him; creating unbelievably mouth watering aromas.
I disbelieve the illusion! I disbelieve the illusion! ;)

*reads on* Oh, OK.

For the drinking contest, they need a dwarf. How about this guy?

Done reading! :D Intriguing. If they set all the monsters free, that wouldn't be good at all - a troll, a rust golem, a manticore - they would probably destroy the village. (Not to mention the Red Dragon) ;)

And yes, the Behir is a jerk. :P
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:14 am :lol: Dare I ask what Aros used - Sleight of Hand, I presume?
He stole it from her room. Galiena had changed into her "fancy dress" - so her adventurer clothes (leathers and such) were in her room.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:14 am I can just imagine the Elf's apology. "You are a true master, my friend. Here are the 5 gold, as promised." Meanwhile, Galiena is glowering. "I HATE YOU BOTH!" :mad:
Why does Aros remind me of Zevran from "Dragon Age: Origins"? ;)
I wonder if that skill is useful for anything else. "You round the corner and espy an orc, asleep at the guard station."
"I use Sleight of Hand to steal his helmet/spear/chain-mail!" :P
Would that work? Maybe? ;)
He is quite like Zevran. However, he steals to give to orphanages and such.
And in the town they're in (Felhorn), the orphanage is run by Annie Longstocking.

As the Innkeeper, Gergie Woodfire explains: "...there’s an orphanage – run by a halfling – much like yourself! Annie Longstocking – fiery temper that one, if you cross her! But it’s because… things happen… and she takes care of so many kids.” (DM Note – Yes, the name Annie and redhair is intentional as in Little Orphan Annie, and the surname is a reference to another young, redhead Pippy Longstocking)"

And yes, the Innkeeper's name is indeed a reference to The Black Cauldron's Gurgi.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:14 am As for the Work Group Game ... I'm a little confused here.
...Ms Claws looks around excitedly.
Is this Salia from "Tashara’s Palace of the Sensual"? Salia Claws? Any relation to a certain overweight man with a red suit? ;)
LOL! The Paladin's steed is a Raptor that he named Ms. Claws.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:14 am
...angry, bloodthirsty gnomes.
Uh-oh. Salia's "elves"? :P (Like Santa's, but not as nice?)
The Innkeeper is actually referencing a monster called "Redcaps" - but he doesn't know their proper name so he calls them bloodthirsty gnomes.
For your info:
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Redcap
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:14 am
The old woman’s appearance is remarkably close to an old woman...
I should hope so!
I wrote that too fast - so in context:
Bradbury explains, “Three years ago, fire streaked across the sky; an ill omen, as if felt evil and dark. Shortly after, an old woman appeared and promised the children a magnificent gift near the back of the caves; further back than anyone typically goes. The children, enthralled by the elderly woman ventured deep inside the cave; and it’s been days since their return. Several parents ventured forward, but claimed to be attacked by various dark, and evil monsters, the likes of which they’ve never seen before – including ‘angry, bloodthirsty gnomes.’
The old woman’s appearance is remarkably close to an old woman, about fifty years ago, when Redstone was first settled, who could not have children of her own.
Bradbury is saying the Elderly Woman who most recently appeared, appeared to look exactly the same as the old woman who appeared 50 years ago.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:14 am For the drinking contest, they need a dwarf. How about this guy?
Image doesn't appear for me, but I can see the name of the image, so I know it's Oghren from DA:O. :)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:14 am Done reading! :D Intriguing. If they set all the monsters free, that wouldn't be good at all - a troll, a rust golem, a manticore - they would probably destroy the village. (Not to mention the Red Dragon) ;)
And yes, the Behir is a jerk. :P
Hah! Yes. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

The image doesn't show up for you? =\ I'm confused. I can see it just fine. Can you please take another look?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:39 am The image doesn't show up for you? =\ I'm confused. I can see it just fine. Can you please take another look?
Yeah showing up now; before it was a gray box. Probably something on my end because I've been uploading stuff to Youtube so my end was probably dragging arse. :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

So, D&D Adventurers League, this weekend for San Diego Comic Con, done virtually.
First and foremost, they welcome people brand new to D&D – which I think is wonderful. I love introducing people to D&D and new folks exploring their creativity. So games were slow to start, but that wasn’t a problem for me. But I wanted to talk about some of the games I was in.

I made a Dragonborn (Blue), because I love Blue Dragons in D&D. I made it so he was once evil, but now seeking to redeem his past sins. This is what I wrote for my character:
Karillium (Ka-rill-e-um) is who I will be playing today! He's a Dragonborn of Blue Dragonkin. He began his career as a soldier for an army of evil, but as time passed, grew a conscious. Now he seeks to make amends for some of the horrors he's been a part of and set things right. He, however, still has his arrogant dragon bloodline that sometimes gets the best of him, especially when he's frustrated with those who don't recognize his power. (Shh! Don't tell him he's not all that powerful at Level 1!)

While he dislikes his past, he may bring it up from time to time, about how they were able to conquer enemies.
He understands that he's not immediately trusted, because of the Blue Dragon Blood the courses through his veins.

So I played a Friday evening game (7:30pm to 11pm) – and in that group was another Dragonborn (Gold) who was a Sorcerer – he and I got to talking about how our characters outwardly despise one another (Blue being evil, gold being good among dragons) – but that, deep down inside we actually respected one another. There was another guy in there who played an impetuous fighter (Darien?) who was hilarious and another person who played a cleric – and the DM (Dave) was great. Kept the story moving, let us RP, rewarded us with RP (like twice the Dragonborn Gold went down and I mentioned how my character became engaged – not Raged, since he’s not a barbarian – and both times, I managed to land like 19s and 20s when this happened, and one time killed the wolf that dropped the Gold Dragonborn, which the DM always did “How do you kill it” – and I always mentioned how I let the blood spill on the Dragonborn (Gold) – but was the first one to extend a hand to help him up. This session was an absolute blast.

Saturday, I only got to do a morning game, due to an evening engagement that was sprung on me two days before (was supposed to do the live D&D Session at Anita’s house, with Jessica… but… I won’t dwell on that…) The Saturday AM game was good. The DM, a very nice woman, was having all kinds of issues with Fantasy Ground Unity (tokens gets stuck, shared images not appearing). That aside, I do feel like the game might have been cursed over all; all the players, I feel like were like the cast of the Three Stooges, we were running around in circles, bonking each other in the head (not literally, but just couldn’t figure things out as to what we were doing for the adventure). And this was maybe because of the FG Unity issues, or we were just all scatter brained (I include myself). In this game, there was a UK woman (who I remembered from last year – very distinct voice) – and when I heard it, I was filled with dread. Last year, she’d been scolded by the DM to stop talking over people. She was one of those “I do everything” (so for example, if I found a map, she’d say, “I look at the map and follow it”). This year, she was remarkably better (still did it but was far more controlled). The problem was the other woman who played a male Warforged Bard that she called a “Sex Bot.” She insisted on making everything sexual (such as her rapier was between her legs). And even worse, she’d say, “Shall we engage in intercourse” (like a robot, slow between words). And when she did things like Vicious Mockery, they were all sexual references; which … might be fine, if she was good at it. But she was like, “I cast Vicious mockery and I say…” (30 seconds later) “My sword between my legs is bigger than your penis!”
I just shut her out and tried to enjoy the rest of the game. And that wasn’t even my worse game. The worse is yet to come.

My Sunday AM game, was with DM Dave (from Friday evening) – and it also had the Dragonborn (Gold) and the impetuous fighter and two other people. This session, just like Friday’s was an absolute blast. People got into me and the other Dragonborn’s “feud” with one another. And even the UK girl (who had been scolded last year and was in my Saturday game) was in this game – and when the Dragonborn (Gold) and I talked about “Mortals” I often scoffed (in character), so the UK girl said her character refuses to heal me because of how he talks (and she did it in character, she told me, she thinks it’s great what I was doing). So that was a lot of fun; and she stuck to it, even when I went down, she didn’t heal me (but we had a Twilight Cleric with us, so I was all good). Really enjoyed this session.

Because it was Sunday, there was no late session – just the 2:30 to 6:30.
But wait? I said before the worse was yet to come.
Here it is.
The DM’s name is Tom (you’d think I’d be happy with that) – and he sounded as if he might be from the UK. He had the most MONOTONE voice ever.
Adventure starts; we need to enter a cave, but it has two savings throws – a CON and CHR. Three of the six people try to enter and fail – and my character, who has a flaw about his arrogance and power decides to enter – and passes both saves.
Suddenly, it’s just me and the DM enacting this vision. At first, it’s fine. But it’s dragging on. Literally ten minutes of me and the DM and I am trying to bring down a white dragon by cutting its wings as quickly as I can because it’s getting awkward.
Here’s what two players said in Discord:
[3:24 PM] (Remove_Name) (UTC -7) (he/him): sorry to be critical, but this encounter is basically the DM plus 1 player playing D&D, and the other 4 players get to sit around and watch. not a great encounter, IMO.
[3:25 PM] (Remove_Name2): I'm not one to trash on creative design, but yeah...this isn't fun.
So I bring this up to the DM, because maybe he doesn’t see it and not picking up on how awkward it’s getting for me. But he keeps it going for about another 10 minutes; by this time, I already want to crawl out of this game.

Well, the rest of the campaign – I kid you not, there was zero combat. Which, OK – sometimes that works. I’ve done that both in my work game and my Off Week Work Game where there’s been zero combat – but that’s because the Roleplaying takes place of the combat. That wasn’t the case here. The DM led us, with his finger up our noses – pulling us along (rather than pulling us by our ears, I wanted to express a more uncomfortable feeling) – through the module, as if we’re characters in a story, rather than us interacting with the story. We make occasional skill rolls, come to an inhospitable town, and right about then it was 6pm (which I had a game with Anita) and said, “Hey, I got to drop for a previous engagement.”

This was one of the worse D&D games, in my memory, that I’d even been a part of. And it wasn’t because of offensive/dumb players. It was the DM who made this an absolute train wreck. He definitely missed social queues, because when we took a break, he said, “You guys having fun?” Not a single person said anything. Not yes or a no.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

:( Sorry the weekend was a bit of a bust for you, Tawm. At least you got one good game. :)

But yeah, someone making D&D all about sex is ... how shall I put this? I can't, so I'll just say this: :roll: . Life isn't all about sex, and neither is D&D. That's all.

As for the DM not engaging the party ... sigh. I don't know what was going on there!!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:56 am :( Sorry the weekend was a bit of a bust for you, Tawm. At least you got one good game. :)
But yeah, someone making D&D all about sex is ... how shall I put this? I can't, so I'll just say this: :roll: . Life isn't all about sex, and neither is D&D. That's all.
As for the DM not engaging the party ... sigh. I don't know what was going on there!!
The Warforged Bard/Sexbot might have been funny, if the person playing the character knew how to pull it off and make it funny.
The problem is - this woman, did not. At all. Zero charm.

For example, in one of my games, there was a human artificer who had the back story of he was a chef, got into some financial and legal trouble for making questionable stews and soup.
Needs to acquire vast amounts of money to cover his legal fees because of all the lawsuits.
So when we found weird components, he'd mutter (in character), how he could mix this with rabbit meat, and a sprinkle of shrieker mushrooms, etc...
And he sounded legit. Like I could have bought that this guy might have been a cook in real life.

The woman playing the Sexbot had ZERO charisma (as in her person), just making it more awkward than funny.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

:( Sounds like a horrible time was had by all. Sorry to hear that.

I didn't know anyone could play a robot in D&D. I thought D&D didn't allow sci-fi elements? ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:37 am :( Sounds like a horrible time was had by all. Sorry to hear that.
I didn't know anyone could play a robot in D&D. I thought D&D didn't allow sci-fi elements? ;)
The SciFi aspect of D&D - has been around since 2nd Edition, when they introduced flying spaceships that Illithid used. ;) (Seen in the latest Baulder's Gate game)
5th Edition D&D even has guns available (I don't have'em in my game - rule them out), which I believe is to capture the whole pirate (or Victorian) feel for a game, if you want to go that way.
Then Eberron saw the light of day - and really brought in the SciFi/Steampunk feel to D&D. Interesting piece is that Eberron was introduced with 3.5 due to the creator winning a contest. (From Wiki: Keith Baker's Dungeons & Dragons campaign setting of Eberron was chosen as the winner among the 11,000 submissions to the Wizards of the Coast Fantasy Setting Search in 2002. Baker won $100,000 for his contest submission.)
That's where Warforged came from (which are "robots with souls in a round about way"). From the Wiki ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eberron ) -
The warforged are a race of living, sentient constructs, superficially similar to golems. Warforged are composed of a blend of materials: predominantly stone, wood, and some type of metal. In Eberron, they were created by House Cannith in magical 'creation forges' to fight in the Last War. When the Last War ended, they were given their freedom at the Treaty of Thronehold. Though they have free will, whether they have a soul is not known with certainty; they can be resurrected by spells designed to restore human souls to life, but, unlike humans, never remember anything of their experience in the afterlife after such an event. While they have no biological sex, warforged may adopt a gender role as part of their individual personality. They do not age as the other races do, and it is not known what effects time will have on them. It is generally assumed that, like all living creatures, their bodies must experience degradation over time. Like other races, warforged may take levels in any character class.
It appeared in 5th Edition D&D as well, and the MMO is actually based on Eberron. (Not "Neverwinter" but the "D&D Online" - which I log into like once a year - more on that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_ ... ons_Online )
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmmm. Guns in 5th Ed D&D? I suppose it's plausible - it depends on the gun. 2nd Edition D&D had arquebuses as an optional weapon - an arquebus is a very early type of gun, 15th-century or so. They were very heavy (so heavy they had to be mounted on a long fork-like instrument), had a poor range and a poor rate of fire. But they were the first weapon that could penetrate plate mail. They reached Europe about 1475 AD.

If you're basing your campaign on Japan (which sounds like you are - at least one of them), you might be interested to know that arquebuses reached Japan in the mid-1500s, just in time for the "Sengoku," or "Country at War" (1467-1573) period. This was a century of decentralized power and almost endless warfare among competing feudal lords, Finally, a ruthless daimyo named Oda Nobunaga tried to unify all of Japan, but he was assassinated in 1582. His heirs, Toyotomi Hideoyoshi and Tokugawa Ieyasu, finally unified all of Japan by 1600. Their samurai used traditional weapons such as the katana, the yari (spear) and yumi (bow), but they also adapted the new muskets, especially using them in volley fire from 1575 onward, to terrify their rivals.

Just a thought. :) Of course, if your D&D-Japanese campaign is set before all that, please feel free to ignore me! ;) I've been studying that particular period of Japanese history for some years now - it's very interesting.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:38 am If you're basing your campaign on Japan (which sounds like you are - at least one of them), you might be interested to know that arquebuses reached Japan in the mid-1500s, just in time for the "Sengoku," or "Country at War" (1467-1573) period. This was a century of decentralized power and almost endless warfare among competing feudal lords, Finally, a ruthless daimyo named Oda Nobunaga tried to unify all of Japan, but he was assassinated in 1582. His heirs, Toyotomi Hideoyoshi and Tokugawa Ieyasu, finally unified all of Japan by 1600. Their samurai used traditional weapons such as the katana, the yari (spear) and yumi (bow), but they also adapted the new muskets, especially using them in volley fire from 1575 onward, to terrify their rivals.
Just a thought. :) Of course, if your D&D-Japanese campaign is set before all that, please feel free to ignore me! ;) I've been studying that particular period of Japanese history for some years now - it's very interesting.
Yeah, I am not a fan of guns in D&D. Was fine, in like World of Warcraft/Warcraft, because that's their lore.
But in my campaign world, the only "guns" that exist are canons (on ships) - which Minotaurs hold the secret to. So there's technically gun powder, but small, hand held guns (pistols, rifles, etcs) won't ever exist in my campaign. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

No problem. Your campaign, your rules. :)

How do minotaurs know about gunpowder and cannons? Just wondering. What kind of cannons are they using - the old-fashioned bombards, or something more modern?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:02 pm How do minotaurs know about gunpowder and cannons? Just wondering. What kind of cannons are they using - the old-fashioned bombards, or something more modern?
Ye ol' canons, indeed.

The reason being; I wanted the opportunity (should it arise), to have ship to ship combat, that would including canon firing at one another's ship. But that the "gun powder" is actually a crunched down form of a plant that requires a massive "explosion" or intense hit to trigger the explosive reaction. (To ensure people don't get the idea of trying to put it in small guns) :D

But yes, mostly for if my players ever wanted to do ship to ship combat.

Return to “Community Games”