The D&D Corner (and other Pen & Paper - or virtual - RPGs!) <3

Just like the title says. Fun little forum related games and threads. Come in here and have some fun!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: The D&D Corner (and other Pen & Paper - or virtual - RPGs!) <3

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Er, what? :shock: I only suggested the Plane of French Fries as a joke, obviously. I didn't think it was already done. ;)

Did you make all this yourself? It's a great job. :) Also, by "Wendy's", do you mean the fast-food place? I assume it has nothing to do with them -- the licensing fees alone would be enormous!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:01 pm Er, what? :shock: I only suggested the Plane of French Fries as a joke, obviously. I didn't think it was already done. ;)

Did you make all this yourself? It's a great job. :) Also, by "Wendy's", do you mean the fast-food place? I assume it has nothing to do with them -- the licensing fees alone would be enormous!
No, I didn't make it. The Wendy's fast food place did. It's called Feast of Legends. However their website FeastOfLegends.com is no longer functional. However, when they released it - I checked it out (it's all free) - and thought it was pretty funny. You are a part of the Wendy's Kingdom and your main bad guy is McDonalds. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Oh, gawd. :lol: An evil Ronald McDonald. I hope he doesn't "Mwa-ha-ha" -- that would be way too corny. ;)

I suppose Ronald would be a bard, then (he already has the outfit). The Hamburglar would be a ~EVIL~ rogue, obviously. ;) What would that big, dumpy purple thing (Grimace?) be? A Fighter, I guess - if nothing else, he can bump into people and knock them off cliffs and such. :P If he could bounce, he might be a kind of antwerp (from Quest for Glory). I suppose Mayor McCheese would be the Evil Mastermind? ;)

Sigh. There's no way that an even half-way sober and decent party of PCs can lose to these guys ... unless, maybe, I haven't understood this properly?

I hope the EVIL McDonald's doesn't force-feed our PCs any of their dry, tasteless "beef". That would be ... er. *makes a face* Maybe they could use those "beef patties" as thrown weapons or something...? :twisted:
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Here are a couple of links that I think could be useful for D&D ... :)

Illustrations of medieval weapons
Illustrations of medieval armour

I'm sure you've probably seen most of this before, but it could be useful (and for your group too!) :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Funny because I used those same images as references in my D&D games (since going remote due to Covid) -
Attachments
Image1.png
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. I'm not so sure about the "double-sword" idea was ever used in history, apart from the haladie (which originates in Syria or India - and even then, it looks more like a dagger than a sword). The disadvantages of such a weapon are huge: as Quora points out, on the battlefield, you'd be likely to injure your own side by mistake. It needs a lot of room to swing such a thing properly, so it'd be useless in a melee.

On the other hand, if you had plenty of room (e.g. in a one-on-one battle, like they do in Star Wars), and if you were an expert with this thing (like Darth Maul), then maybe it makes sense. But it was definitely not for "ordinary" foot-soldiers. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Still need to catch up on notes - these notes are from **August 17, 2021** - which is pretty much the "Siren/Harpy Island" session. (Or "Why did it have to be ropes?" session)
http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... -wizard-09

I thought it'd be fun to include some of the audio from this session - so here's some snippits.
Attachments
dangerous.mp3
(99.8 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Galiena_Climbing.mp3
(4.14 MiB) Downloaded 58 times
Health_Wise.mp3
(311.63 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
The_Boss.mp3
(629.39 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

And from the normal Tuesday game I run - this wraps up the "Something Wicked This Way Comes" Carnival...

http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... nturers-50
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:30 pm Still need to catch up on notes - these notes are from **August 17, 2021** - which is pretty much the "Siren/Harpy Island" session. (Or "Why did it have to be ropes?" session)
http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... -wizard-09

I thought it'd be fun to include some of the audio from this session - so here's some snippets.
Some notes and comments .....

1. Ack! There are no people actually hanging from the Lover's End tree (despite the fact that the session says there are). Are they invisible? ;)

2. I take it that device (people hanging from a tree) was inspired by that place near the start of "Pillars of Eternity 1" ... or "Dragon Age Origins" (where you also see that sort of thing) ... or similar? ;)

3. Um, the session says:
The roof appears as if it’s been ripped apart, the doors are broken off the hinges, windows lie shattered.
But in the picture, the house is in perfect order? :shock:

4. Um (again), the session says:
Galiena does notice that there’s a photo a painting of what appears to be Shelly, her husband and her son...
(emphasis mine)

Is it a photo or a painting? I think it can't be a photo - there are no cameras in D&D. ;)

5. It also says:
...and the painting has been torn apart.
How is that possible? Torn bits of canvas everywhere? If so, how would they know who is represented in the painting?

6. Hmm. It says:
Ramgor and Galiena sit out on the tattered porch...
Eek! :shock: A porch can't be tattered (i.e. torn). Cloth, paper or rags can be tattered - that's what a beggar would wear - but a porch/house/etc. are probably shattered.

7. Hmm. It says:
Unfortunately, Baldur’s mind and ceases paying attention...
I think you mean that Baldur's mind wanders and he ceases to pay attention.

8. Galiena and Ramgor are both "breathing heavy". I think you mean they breathe heavily. (Sorry to be pedantic).

9. It says here that
The Harpies lung for an attack.
I think they lunge in for an attack - they don't use their lungs, except to breathe with! ;)

Thanks, Tawm! Hope these are useful. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:59 am 1. Ack! There are no people actually hanging from the Lover's End tree (despite the fact that the session says there are). Are they invisible? ;)
2. I take it that device (people hanging from a tree) was inspired by that place near the start of "Pillars of Eternity 1" ... or "Dragon Age Origins" (where you also see that sort of thing) ... or similar? ;)
In part, Pillars of Eternity - but more so, because this Saturday I am DMing for a group - and we're doing a Halloween episode (in my world called The Hollowing) - and there's two monks in that group - and they're headed to their monastery after getting word from a spirit about something terrible has happened. So I was wanting to include some creepy Japanese lore and had been reminded of the "Suicide Woods of Japan" (better known as Aokigahara).

And for the off week game (the notes you read) - they're on an island full of creepy things. So I thought, "Why not mix the Suicide Woods with Pillars of Eternity?"

Where as Pillars of Eternity, people were hung for crimes - I wanted a single tree that people went to - to take their lives.

The tree in question is a Moreton Bay Fig Tree (which I've talked about before on the forums, I am sure) - about the massive tree that is here in San Diego at Balboa Park. (I love these trees, as it was also the inspiration for a tree in a story I've been writing for a kajillion years).

Also - since I am not an artist, I clearly can't make exact images of what I am describing - so I use photos I find for general ideas.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:59 am 3. Um, the session says:
The roof appears as if it’s been ripped apart, the doors are broken off the hinges, windows lie shattered.
But in the picture, the house is in perfect order? :shock:
I don't know if I'd call that house to be in perfect order.
Also - since I am not an artist, I clearly can't make exact images of what I am describing - so I use photos I find for general ideas.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:59 am 4. Um (again), the session says:
Galiena does notice that there’s a photo a painting of what appears to be Shelly, her husband and her son...
(emphasis mine)
Is it a photo or a painting? I think it can't be a photo - there are no cameras in D&D. ;)
Should have just been painting.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:59 am 5. It also says:
...and the painting has been torn apart.
How is that possible? Torn bits of canvas everywhere? If so, how would they know who is represented in the painting?
A painting that's been torn apart can still be seen. Depends on what portions are torn. Or if they've been RIPPED OUT, versus just ripped.

If you draw on a piece of paper and cut it all over with a razor - but it's still in a frame - you can still see your picture.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:59 am 6. Hmm. It says:
Ramgor and Galiena sit out on the tattered porch...
Eek! :shock: A porch can't be tattered (i.e. torn). Cloth, paper or rags can be tattered - that's what a beggar would wear - but a porch/house/etc. are probably shattered.
Should have been "battered" actually.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:59 am 7. Hmm. It says:
Unfortunately, Baldur’s mind and ceases paying attention...
I think you mean that Baldur's mind wanders and he ceases to pay attention.
9. It says here that
The Harpies lung for an attack.
I think they lunge in for an attack - they don't use their lungs, except to breathe with! ;)
Yup, just writing too fast.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

No worries at all. I also miss things sometimes, which is embarrassing since I write a 2000-plus-word chapter every week and submit it for critiquing. (When the story's done, I put it together and (try to) find a publisher). ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Trying to catch up on my D&D notes for my game world again since I couldn't sleep...

And going through the recording for my game on 08/28/2021 - and here's some fun recording snippets.
Attachments
How_Do_You_Release_A_Dragon.mp3
How do you "accidentally" release a dragon? This is a reference because the player who mentions this is in another game I run - and in my games, the world is "alive" - as in what one party does can impact another game! :D
(239.59 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
You_Had_A_Month.mp3
This is a monthly game; and last session everyone leveled... the guy playing the wizard never leveled up so the start of the game was him leveling and trying to pick spells.
(559.59 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Sindri_Spells.mp3
Sindri is the wizard, and will this be his fate? :D
(188.16 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

:lol:

How do you "accidentally" release a dragon? That depends. Was it truly accidentally, or was it "accidentally-on-purpose"? ;)

If it's truly accidental -- maybe:

1. The dragon was turned to stone; and
2. Stuck in a stone nearby is a sword with a jewelled hilt; and
3. A passing rogue (in the party or not) saw the jewels and thought "MUST HAVE!" and pried the jewels out; and
4. The jewels are a kind of magical lever that deactivates the "turn to stone" effect? :D

Cue the "dragon opens one eye" animation. That's one way to "accidentally" release a dragon ... :P
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:49 pm :lol:
How do you "accidentally" release a dragon? That depends. Was it truly accidentally, or was it "accidentally-on-purpose"? ;)
Heh - so the woman (Jessica) who is heard saying "We may have accidentally released a dragon" is in ALL three of the D&D games I run (Tuesday Work Game, Tuesday Off Week Game, and Monthly Game).

So in the regular Tuesday Work Game (Session 50), the party fights some Succubi and Inccubi who have control of several exotic creatures under the guise of a Carnival - when the one controlling the dragon is killed - it frees the red dragon from their hold.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

For those that enjoy reading the recaps - this is the Rettniss Date Night session. :-D

Session notes from the 8/28/2021 game! Still trying to catch up on all my notes for my games!
http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... scovery-13

Return to “Community Games”