The D&D Corner (and other Pen & Paper - or virtual - RPGs!) <3

Just like the title says. Fun little forum related games and threads. Come in here and have some fun!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: The D&D Corner (and other Pen & Paper - or virtual - RPGs!) <3

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Some notes:

The Draconian's death. :shock: Messy.

The Gazer? Isn't that a Beholder?

The staff looks interesting. A grinning goblin head ;)

The Dracoshard Spear can talk? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Talking weapons are common in high-level D&D, after all. ;) I guess we should be thankful the spear didn't start demanding ale or something. "BARKEEP!" *BANG BANG BANG ON THE BAR COUNTER!!!* "ALE AND MEAD ALL ROUND!" :P
He stands up – approaches the cauldron turns around and removes his pants – showing his rear end to the cauldron – but nothing happens.
Sigh. The Cauldron is unimpressed by the sight of your buttocks, Baldur. :P

Thanks, Tawm :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:07 pm Some notes:
The Draconian's death. :shock: Messy.
The Gazer? Isn't that a Beholder?
The staff looks interesting. A grinning goblin head ;)
The Dracoshard Spear can talk? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Talking weapons are common in high-level D&D, after all. ;) I guess we should be thankful the spear didn't start demanding ale or something. "BARKEEP!" *BANG BANG BANG ON THE BAR COUNTER!!!* "ALE AND MEAD ALL ROUND!" :P
He stands up – approaches the cauldron turns around and removes his pants – showing his rear end to the cauldron – but nothing happens.
Sigh. The Cauldron is unimpressed by the sight of your buttocks, Baldur. :P
Thanks, Tawm :)
Draconians were first introduced in the DRAGONLANCE series (so VERY good!) publisher (back then) by TSR, Inc., who owned D&D (before Wizards of the Coast bought it).
And TSR released a number of supplements that could stand on their own - DRAGONLANCE being one of them, which was for 2nd Edition D&D.
But that was it. Nothing Dragonlance related (I mean, other than Dragons - but specific to the Dragonlance setting) ever saw the light of day in 3rd, 4th, and until just recently with the Fizban's Dragons book (Fizban being a MAJOR character in Dragonlance - because a silly version of Gandalf - powerful wizard with a bad memory - but with a big secret - which I won't spoil). So with the title of that book just released a few months ago, the main focus - as you can imagine - is all things Dragons - and they finally brought Draconians back into D&D. With some changes from the original intended Dragonlance version - but the exploding death was always their trademark thing.
And the Gazer resembles a Beholder; but a Beholder has 10 eye stalks and a center eye.
The Dracoshard is a dragon's essence trapped in the spear. I like to make weapons more than "+1 spear" - the Dracospear also grants Advantage (roll 2 dice and take the higher roll) on Wisdom Savings Throw (once per day).
And that's the fun thing with the off week game - it's so much RP and silliness. :D so yes, Baldur pulled down his pants to moon the cauldron. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Maybe the Dragonlance setting was ignored in 3rd, 4th and 5th ed because WoTC wanted to distance themselves from TSR? Yes, I remember TSR.

Fizban (the forgetful but powerful wizard) could pop up again as an NPC. "Ha-HA! Never fear, good adventuring folk, for I - Fizban the Mighty - shall advise you!" :D *beat* "Now where did I put my robe?"

Cue extreme silliness ;)
===============================
As for the Dracoshard ...

Wouldn't it be fun (and silly) if the dragon trapped in the Dracoshard spear also had his own hobbies? Maybe you could play chess against it. "Why are you playing chess against yourself?" / "It's the only way I can get a decent game." / "Yup, he's gone crazy." ;)

Or maybe the dragon was also a banker in real life. People came to him to open accounts. And that's how he got rich. :D I mean, what bank could be safer? He's his own security. :P So he can advise the party on investments and whatnot! Just an idea or two ... :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:02 pm Maybe the Dragonlance setting was ignored in 3rd, 4th and 5th ed because WoTC wanted to distance themselves from TSR? Yes, I remember TSR.
WotC bought out TSR, which is how they got the rights to D&D and everything else.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:02 pm Fizban (the forgetful but powerful wizard) could pop up again as an NPC. "Ha-HA! Never fear, good adventuring folk, for I - Fizban the Mighty - shall advise you!" :D *beat* "Now where did I put my robe?"
Cue extreme silliness ;)
Pretty much how he appears, throughout the Dragonlance novels.
He appears again in other books written by Weis & Hickman (who wrote the main Dragonlance books) as "Zifnab."
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:02 pm As for the Dracoshard ...
Wouldn't it be fun (and silly) if the dragon trapped in the Dracoshard spear also had his own hobbies? Maybe you could play chess against it. "Why are you playing chess against yourself?" / "It's the only way I can get a decent game." / "Yup, he's gone crazy." ;)
Or maybe the dragon was also a banker in real life. People came to him to open accounts. And that's how he got rich. :D I mean, what bank could be safer? He's his own security. :P So he can advise the party on investments and whatnot! Just an idea or two ... :)
Well, the essence is from a Dragon Egg - so it never got to be born. So no Banker.
But I did have it apologize, when Baldur rolled a Crit Fail on a hit and it said, "Whoops! Sorry."
Just as a fun thing to do.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. Maybe it could pun? ;) For instance, if Baldur Crit-Fails, it could say "What are you draggin' me around for?" or "You're fired!" or "You flamin' fool!" :P That sort of thing. ;)

Or, maybe it could say "I always wanted to be a Librarian ... but my mom stopped it before I could become a Book Wyrm". There are lots of these. I'm sure it'd drive Baldur (and his player) crazy! :lol:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

The Monthly D&D Game I DM -
"Oh, no - not him again."

Session 16 Recap notes! This is the one Twilight Skybane wasn't present for.
http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... scovery-16
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Merry_Crit_Miss.png
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Here's the notes for the latest session. I enjoyed writing this one up because of all the tremendous amount of RP this session - and all the laughs. I took some of the dialogues and situations and expanded on them to typically add even more humor - the whole "Prenah" thing becomes a very big deal (just because that was fun to run with) - so much dialogue. Once I got to the combat with the Sahaugin, however, I went skimpy with the details (the notes are already LONG enough by this point, so combat was the least interesting part!)
http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... -wizard-15
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Work Game Session -
Was a "Nikalos" session (meaning help Nikalos, the embodiment of "Santa Claus" in my world) - but the party struggled so much they didn't finish it in one session (which is usually my plan) -
The party agrees to help the Cyclops find the Ettins and free "The Priestess" from whatever their vile plan is...
http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... nturers-56
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

This was a blast to recap.
Session 16 (this week's!) off week game notes are done! We will call this one The FABULOUS Night Out.
In this one, Galiena realizes that climbing isn't always her only bad skill - sometimes picking guys for a date, isn't always such a great skill!
As we learn more and more (and probably more than we wanted to!) about **Kavium, Paladin of Prenah.**
And then - the story takes a twist and things begin to connect more and more...
http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... -wizard-16
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Notes of this week's session are now available! We will call this one "**Grab My Ankle! PSYCH!**"
http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... nturers-57
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

This was fun to do.
So after two years, as a player I finished the Out of the Abyss campaign, going from Level 1 to Level 20.
I had so much fun with this character, because a part of it was optionally roleplaying some of the madness your character may gain.
Which I did. But throughout the game, since it was all remote through Discord (for talking) and Roll20 (website for the maps), I'd frequently draw funny parts in MS PAINT (similar to the MSPAINT thread on this site) and post them on Discord.
I recaptured most of them from Discord, because we completed Out of the Abyss tonight - and the images allowed me to relive moments from the start.
Be advised, very silly photos ahead...
http://neverendingnights.com/archives/3938
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I played a Mountain Dwarf (Paul would be so proud! He loved playing Dwarves in D&D, and even in EverQuest when we played!) named Thorvall Ironstone who was a fighter. Pretty much stat dumped into Strength, Constitution and Dexterity in that order, not leaving him much room for Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma. Kind of wanted to play up a gruff, no nonsense kind of fighter who had the strength but not really the street smarts.
Sounds like he didn't have 'book smarts' either. ;) But just wondering: if you dumped stats into Str, Con and Dex, I presume your dwarf was wearing light armour of some kind, yes? Dex wouldn't be much use to someone in heavy armour. ;)

:lol: the t-shirt. "Didn't ask how big the room was, I said cast fireball!" :twisted:

Affaris: FIREBALL! :twisted:

The image you found looks like the dwarf has a Light Sabre. (?)
Thorvall killed a cave bear… anyone get the reference when he cut the cave bear’s head and scalped it…?
Hmm -- IIRC, Hercules did the same thing but with a lion. (The Nemean Lion, if I recall. The first of The Labours of Hercules). I assume that's not what you mean, but hey. This trope is Older Than Dirt. ;) (Plus, the wiki-article has some really cool pictures). :twisted:

"Hi, my name is Loobamup..." :shock: Yeah, way to throw us all for a loop, DM Aaron. ;)
Everything we were encountering seemed to be sprouting two heads… (if you’re familiar with D&D Demon Lords, you can probably guess why)
I'm not, exactly, but since I just mentioned Hercules, this obviously reminds me of the Hydra (his second Labour).
One of my character’s permanent madness (one of many that would come his way!)...
Er -- if your dwarf is permanently insane, how can he recover (so he can get madness again)? Sorry, I don't get it.
The troll that guarded the bridge was dressed with a tie…
:lol: A very formal troll, then. :D
Tell me you at least know who Billy Idol is, right?
Of course I remember Billy Idol. And I also remember the fun Weird Al had with him. "Here she comes now, wants her alimony..." ;)
...but the cleric was able to do Spare the Dying then heal me up. So I drew this – "What a crappy day..."
:lol: Poor Thorvall. I just have to wonder -- how the heck do 1st-level characters start out in the friggin' Underdark, of all places? And why? And how are they supposed to survive? :shock:
Our changling/doppleganger sorcerer took on Giant Ape form along with a Belt of Dwarven Kind…

Because all dwarves have beards… even in ape form apparently.
:lol: Again with the Fireballs? :P

:lol: Love the drawing of the barbarian on the elk. "Plus Won". Orcus looks like he's got his legs on back-to-front (but hey, this is a family-friendly drawing). ;)
...and this is when I began always drawing the gnome wizard’s staff as a candy cane….
Er, it doesn't HAVE to be a candy cane! :D It could be a, um ... the gnome wizard could be holding a shepherd's crook, painted red and white! Yup - the gnome wizard is now a shepherd, but you just didn't have room to paint the sheep. ;)

Yes, I know I'm reaching. :lol:
...I am guessing a Cyclops had grappled me on top of it all…

I AM NOT A BUNNY RABBIT!!!!! :evil:
The party eventually came to this … bath house, I guess you can call it, among the fungus (Mycondoid) people…
The mycondoid person is a really ... *pause* ... fungi. *puts on sunglasses* YEAAAAAAAAHHHH! :P
so when Thorvall tried to catch up – Orcus was still out of range – so the demon personality took over – launched four Eldritch blasts – and got a few criticals (Orcus was already looking bad) – and so I action surged and launched four more… killing Orcus.
YEAH! :D Go Thorvall! Kick some demon-lord butt. ;)
Pip, however, used one of his Wish spells to restore the Eldith that Thorvall remembered (which technically wasn’t the “correct” Eldeth, since the one Thorvall was remembering was one created from his madness, where they’d had this long relationship). So Thorvall was able to “sail into the sunset” and return to the Dwarven Kingdom with the woman he loved.
D'aww, how romantic. ;) Nice happy ending for our dwarf. :D

*switches to demon-lord voice, with echoing boom* OR IS IT?!? MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA *cough, cough* HA-HA-HA-HA-HA, etc. :twisted:

Thanks, Tawm! That was fun. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:02 pm
I played a Mountain Dwarf (Paul would be so proud! He loved playing Dwarves in D&D, and even in EverQuest when we played!) named Thorvall Ironstone who was a fighter. Pretty much stat dumped into Strength, Constitution and Dexterity in that order, not leaving him much room for Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma. Kind of wanted to play up a gruff, no nonsense kind of fighter who had the strength but not really the street smarts.
Sounds like he didn't have 'book smarts' either. ;) But just wondering: if you dumped stats into Str, Con and Dex, I presume your dwarf was wearing light armour of some kind, yes? Dex wouldn't be much use to someone in heavy armour. ;)
Even more important to have DEX if you have heavy armor. Because if you need to STEALTH, some medium and all heavy armor is at DISADVANTAGE (which means you roll STEALTH twice and take the lower roll) :D
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:02 pm :lol: the t-shirt. "Didn't ask how big the room was, I said cast fireball!" :twisted:
Affaris: FIREBALL! :twisted:
Yeah. The banter between her and I (well, mostly me talking to her) was fun.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:02 pm The image you found looks like the dwarf has a Light Sabre. (?)
It is. Was an april fool's (reference to the tweet is below the image).
And it's what I reflavored my "sun blade" to look like.
Sun Blade is actually a normal sword that glows with radiant energy.
I spoke to the DM and turned it into a lightsaber. :D
Thorvall killed a cave bear… anyone get the reference when he cut the cave bear’s head and scalped it…?
Hmm -- IIRC, Hercules did the same thing but with a lion. (The Nemean Lion, if I recall. The first of The Labours of Hercules). I assume that's not what you mean, but hey. This trope is Older Than Dirt. ;) (Plus, the wiki-article has some really cool pictures). :twisted:
Nope. Actually a reference to Frank Frazetta's art from Fire & Ice.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:02 pm "Hi, my name is Loobamup..." :shock: Yeah, way to throw us all for a loop, DM Aaron. ;)
This is actually from an official D&D Campaign called "Out of the Abyss."
Everything we were encountering seemed to be sprouting two heads… (if you’re familiar with D&D Demon Lords, you can probably guess why)
I'm not, exactly, but since I just mentioned Hercules, this obviously reminds me of the Hydra (his second Labour).
There's a Demon Lord in D&D named Demogorgon (if you watched "Stranger Things" they call one of the creatures "Demogorgon").
But D&D Demogorgon looks nothing like the Stranger Things one.
D&D Demogorgon...

One of my character’s permanent madness (one of many that would come his way!)...
Er -- if your dwarf is permanently insane, how can he recover (so he can get madness again)? Sorry, I don't get it.
Some of the madness was temporary - it'd last a day. Or last as long as you were in a specific area.
Permanent Madness requires a high level spell called "Greater Restoration."
...but the cleric was able to do Spare the Dying then heal me up. So I drew this – "What a crappy day..."
:lol: Poor Thorvall. I just have to wonder -- how the heck do 1st-level characters start out in the friggin' Underdark, of all places? And why? And how are they supposed to survive? :shock:
So the concept of Out of the Abyss is that the Drow (Dark Elves) have been raiding the surface world and capturing slaves.
So you start the game, as prisoners of the Drow. Forced to do chores in nothing but underwear.
But the point is during your chores, you start taking notice of where things are (weapons, armor, passage ways), so you can hope to make a break out.
There's several ways to do the break out - but it does lead to the Drow chasing you for awhile.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:02 pm :lol: Love the drawing of the barbarian on the elk. "Plus Won". Orcus looks like he's got his legs on back-to-front (but hey, this is a family-friendly drawing). ;)
They're supposed to be like bi-pedal goat legs. :)

so when Thorvall tried to catch up – Orcus was still out of range – so the demon personality took over – launched four Eldritch blasts – and got a few criticals (Orcus was already looking bad) – and so I action surged and launched four more… killing Orcus.
YEAH! :D Go Thorvall! Kick some demon-lord butt. ;)
Yeah, it was the best - because my character doesn't (didn't) realize he delivered the killing blow. :D
Pip, however, used one of his Wish spells to restore the Eldith that Thorvall remembered (which technically wasn’t the “correct” Eldeth, since the one Thorvall was remembering was one created from his madness, where they’d had this long relationship). So Thorvall was able to “sail into the sunset” and return to the Dwarven Kingdom with the woman he loved.
D'aww, how romantic. ;) Nice happy ending for our dwarf. :D
*switches to demon-lord voice, with echoing boom* OR IS IT?!? MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA *cough, cough* HA-HA-HA-HA-HA, etc. :twisted:
Thanks, Tawm! That was fun. :)
I definitely could have kept playing the character. Definitely felt like he has/had story left in him to tell.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:09 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:02 pm "Hi, my name is Loobamup..." :shock: Yeah, way to throw us all for a loop, DM Aaron. ;)
This is actually from an official D&D Campaign called "Out of the Abyss."
I see ... and their quality-control people (or proof-readers, or whatever) didn't think what "Loobamup" sounds like? ;) What would that meeting have been like, I wonder...

PHB: What do you mean, "Loobamup"? You know what that sounds like, right? We're selling this game to teens and-- (blah blah, etc.)

Writer: *thinks quickly* Er, it's a pun for "lube a mop"! :D Um, as in, stick the mop in a bucket of soapy water and use it to mop the floor! :D

*beat*

PHB: That could work. All right, leave it in ...

;)
Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:09 pm
So the concept of Out of the Abyss is that the Drow (Dark Elves) have been raiding the surface world and capturing slaves.
So you start the game, as prisoners of the Drow. Forced to do chores in nothing but underwear.
But the point is during your chores, you start taking notice of where things are (weapons, armor, passage ways), so you can hope to make a break out.
There's several ways to do the break out - but it does lead to the Drow chasing you for awhile.
OK, but isn't the Underdark incredibly deadly in any case? How would a first-level character survive? :-\

The drow are also pretty tough, from what I gather. They're no slouches when it comes to fighting, and they'd have traps and guards and such. Even if you get out, there's acid cubes and all kinds of other monsters.

Or is the first encounter against goblins or similar sword-fodder? ;)

Return to “Community Games”