The D&D Corner (and other Pen & Paper - or virtual - RPGs!) <3

Just like the title says. Fun little forum related games and threads. Come in here and have some fun!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: The D&D Corner (and other Pen & Paper - or virtual - RPGs!) <3

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:25 pm
Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:09 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:02 pm "Hi, my name is Loobamup..." :shock: Yeah, way to throw us all for a loop, DM Aaron. ;)
This is actually from an official D&D Campaign called "Out of the Abyss."
I see ... and their quality-control people (or proof-readers, or whatever) didn't think what "Loobamup" sounds like? ;) What would that meeting have been like, I wonder...
PHB: What do you mean, "Loobamup"? You know what that sounds like, right? We're selling this game to teens and-- (blah blah, etc.)
Writer: *thinks quickly* Er, it's a pun for "lube a mop"! :D Um, as in, stick the mop in a bucket of soapy water and use it to mop the floor! :D
*beat*
PHB: That could work. All right, leave it in ...
I am 100% convinced that they left it in, intentionally...
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:25 pm
Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:09 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:02 pm
...but the cleric was able to do Spare the Dying then heal me up. So I drew this – "What a crappy day..."
:lol: Poor Thorvall. I just have to wonder -- how the heck do 1st-level characters start out in the friggin' Underdark, of all places? And why? And how are they supposed to survive? :shock:
So the concept of Out of the Abyss is that the Drow (Dark Elves) have been raiding the surface world and capturing slaves.
So you start the game, as prisoners of the Drow. Forced to do chores in nothing but underwear.
But the point is during your chores, you start taking notice of where things are (weapons, armor, passage ways), so you can hope to make a break out.
There's several ways to do the break out - but it does lead to the Drow chasing you for awhile.
OK, but isn't the Underdark incredibly deadly in any case? How would a first-level character survive? :-\
The drow are also pretty tough, from what I gather. They're no slouches when it comes to fighting, and they'd have traps and guards and such. Even if you get out, there's acid cubes and all kinds of other monsters.
Or is the first encounter against goblins or similar sword-fodder? ;)
Well, that's why there's several ways you can do the break out.
The party is with about ten NPCs also (a lot, in my opinion for a DM to manage and make them stick out).
Each of the NPCs wants to escape - and they have quests or places where they want to go and how to help the players.
But you can make an ally with one of the Drow (because of something that happened to them), you can just try an all out break out (very dangerous), or if you wait long enough something happens (demons) that keeps the Drow busy that allows you to make a run for it.

But you'd better find out where some armor and weapons are, during your cleaning, if you hope to survive.

Because, yes, there are "low level" things in the Underdark - but the problem is, most of the things do want to kill you.

Not just humanoids.

But the very plant-life in the Underdark. :D

The thing with Out of the Abyss, is a good portion of the first few sessions (after the break out), you will literally be lost in the Underdark (though some NPCs if they live, may have info) - and you're fleeing from the Drow.

You will encounter other humanoids - not friendly, or at least - neutral to the Drow - that won't turn you over/enslave you.

But a lot of "bad things" happen to the first few civilizations - letting you know there's CLEARLY some kind of demonic war brewing that's spilling into the mortal plane...
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:50 pm The thing with Out of the Abyss, is a good portion of the first few sessions (after the break out), you will literally be lost in the Underdark (though some NPCs if they live, may have info) - and you're fleeing from the Drow.

You will encounter other humanoids - not friendly, or at least - neutral to the Drow - that won't turn you over/enslave you.

But a lot of "bad things" happen to the first few civilizations - letting you know there's CLEARLY some kind of demonic war brewing that's spilling into the mortal plane...
Sheesh. Sounds pretty damn deadly, though maybe not as deadly as "Tomb of Horrors" or "Tomb of Annihilation". (I haven't played much D&D, but even I know about those). ;)

I read a bit more about this campaign in this blog article,, a guide to "Out of the Abyss". Apparently parts of this campaign were very messy, e.g. "Chapter 4: Gracklstugh" (where you finding Droki, a crazed derro).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:14 pm I read a bit more about this campaign in this blog article,, a guide to "Out of the Abyss". Apparently parts of this campaign were very messy, e.g. "Chapter 4: Gracklstugh" (where you finding Droki, a crazed derro).
Ironically, while a pain in the ass to catch him (he has like boots of speed) - that area was one of my favorite "cities."
Because we befriended an adult (over weight) red dragon - who had some people conspiring against him.
We got information about it - brought it back to him.
And as we were leaving the city was in the middle of a massive revolt. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:16 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:14 pm I read a bit more about this campaign in this blog article,, a guide to "Out of the Abyss". Apparently parts of this campaign were very messy, e.g. "Chapter 4: Gracklstugh" (where you finding Droki, a crazed derro).
Ironically, while a pain in the ass to catch him (he has like boots of speed) - that area was one of my favorite "cities."
Because we befriended an adult (over weight) red dragon - who had some people conspiring against him.
Overweight red dragon and people conspiring against him? Gee. If I was designing that part, those guys would become the dragon's mum who wants force him to go on a diet. ;)

"I'm cutting out your red meat for a start, Rough-n-Reddy! Your cholesterol's through the roof. You need more spinach."

"But Ma...!"

"Don't you 'but ma' me, young man!" ... and so on.

Then the PCs sneak him an extra cow every so often, when his mum's not looking ... and obviously, she finds out sooner or later ... cue PCs running away, with Thorvall fastest of 'em all, muttering "%&*@ing fireballs AGAIN..." :)

So how does the part actually go?

(BTW, I'd love to see a red dragon called "Rough-n-Reddy") ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:48 pm
Tawmis wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:16 pm
Overweight red dragon and people conspiring against him? Gee. If I was designing that part, those guys would become the dragon's mum who wants force him to go on a diet. ;)
"I'm cutting out your red meat for a start, Rough-n-Reddy! Your cholesterol's through the roof. You need more spinach."
"But Ma...!"
"Don't you 'but ma' me, young man!" ... and so on.
Then the PCs sneak him an extra cow every so often, when his mum's not looking ... and obviously, she finds out sooner or later ... cue PCs running away, with Thorvall fastest of 'em all, muttering "%&*@ing fireballs AGAIN..." :)
So how does the part actually go?
(BTW, I'd love to see a red dragon called "Rough-n-Reddy") ;)
As for how does the part actually go...

Well, it all depends on what the D&D party does.

There's at least two factions in the city. The party can choose to help either side. Or neither. Or pit them against each other (which is what we did, over all, siding more with the red dragon - since we believed he'd do more damage and cause more chaos and kill more of the enemy... although the overweight red dragon was limited to what he could do, due to his size...) We didn't stick around to see which side won. We left just as the revolt was happening.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Session 58 for the Work Game.
I've essentially stopped planning my D&D session and improv most of it. I'll scribble potential ideas to explore or what might happen based on the party's actions.
So for example, in the previous session the party rescued a girl known as "The Daughter" or "The Priestess" - I'd given her those titles to make her sound important.
This session - I tied in to a character's origin about 30 minutes before the game, when I suddenly came up with an idea...
A throw away character was suddenly tied to another character... and will be used later, for potentially far more based on who her mother was...
http://tawmis.com/kneurth/adventure-not ... nturers-58
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Cleaning up my book marks - figured I'd share some potentially useful stuff -

This site can help create all kinds of cool, randomly generated things, from names, maps, worlds, etc.
https://donjon.bin.sh/

Need to generate a character?
http://www.pathguy.com/ddnext.html

One of my all time used sites - table top audio -
https://tabletopaudio.com/

Coat of Arms creators -
http://inkwellideas.com/coat_of_arms/
https://www.allfamilycrests.com/makecoatofarms.htm

Hexographer was what I used to get a general lay out of my worlds...
http://www.hexographer.com/

Emblem/Faction Symbol creator -
https://nailek.net/gw2/emblemeditor/
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Speaking of which ... I just ran into this site that I thought would be useful to you: D&D Speak. :) I found some of their "100-lists" to be useful (even without application to D&D), but some of the funniest were:

100 Types of Alcohol That Can Be Purchased In Taverns
100 Useless People You Find On A Failed “Gather Information” Check
100 Annoying and Unhelpful NPCs (That your PCs will probably murder)

...and...

100 Pun Wands

Enjoy! :) I especially liked "Wand of Find Steve", "Wand of Burning Hams", "Wand of Massage" ... (sorry-not-sorry ... can't stop giggling). ;)

And speaking of annoying/unhelpful NPCs, I just thought of one. How about a gnoll who deliberately, and forcefully, wants to stop being evil and start becoming a bard and perform music in bars? :D Through great force of will, he has given up his upbringing and even had musical training. He plays a guitar/lute-type instrument. His one quirk is that, because of his fangs, he pronounces the 'g' in 'gnoll' (i.e. "ga-NOLL"), and will always add a 'g' to any word that starts with an 'n'.

He calls himself gNeil the Gnoll. :lol: And I wrote him a song! :D

Verse 1:
A year ago, last Thursday,
I was strolling through the woods
when a paladin was thinking I was bad.

He was laying down the law
about the very holy dudes
And why I deserved to die; it was his fad.

So I asked him, "Now, why do you quest?"
And he said, "It's what I do.
How dare you question me - you have a gall!"

But my answer to this paladin
had put that chap to shame;
when I said, "I have a brain! I'm a G-noll."

Chorus 1:
I'm a G-noll,
Let's have a ball.
Don't say I'm evil - that will take its toll.

I'm a G-noll,
Up on a wall;
Don't shoot me with your bows or I might fall.

I'm a G-noll --
spelt G-N-OLL;
I am not a goblin, nor am I a troll.

So, let me introduce -
I am neither man or moose -
Oh, g-no, g-no, g-no;
I'm a G-noll! :)

Verse 2:
So I rented me a room - a very nice one, at an inn
whence I travelled on to train here as a bard.
And the second year I trained, my music wasn't such a din
If you listen, I will tell you -- it's not hard.

Now, among the men who listened to my fables at the bar
was barbarian - and maybe six feet tall.
And he said "A thrall you will be ...
*hic*
"I will make you my slave!"
But I said, "I'm not a slave...! I'm a G-noll."

Chorus 2:
I'm a G-noll --
A g-nother Gnoll!
I'll g-nash my teeth at you and make you crawl.

I'm a G-noll,
don't need a shawl;
To entertain you is my only goal.

I'm a G-noll --
spelt G-N-OLL;
Call me slave and I will hit you, make you small.

G-nor will I really talk
like some dreadful, smelly orc;
Oh, g-no, g-no, g-no!

G-no, g-no, g-no, I'm a G-noll!
G-no, g-no, g-no
*quick lute solo*
I'm a G-noll! :D

(And then he takes a nice bow, and the thunderstruck humans clap and cheer, and he says, "Oh! That's very g-nice of you.") ;)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

D&D

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Somewhat D&D-inspired, this one! ;)

Hors d'oeuvres, orc-style
Hors d'oeuvres, orc-style

Enjoy :D

-- Moved this into the D&D thread. Because it was in the MS PAINT SIERRA GAMES, and it's not a Sierra game & wasn't drawn in MS PAINT. And fits better here. - Tawmis
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Because I don't have enough hobbies - I've started a new Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvoNQb ... spetnbdpVw

Go subscribe! :D

What I will be doing is putting my D&D games on there. Because I now record the game sessions (audio) that I use for taking notes - the player all consented to putting it on Youtube!
Now there's a bunch of games, pre COVID where I wasn't recording the audio.
So for those, it will be me reading the recap notes for those sessions.
So those will be brief compared to the two hours of recording audio that will be the main focus once I get to those.

This is Session Zero - General - me explaining why I am doing this. :)

Session Zero - The Arrival - this talks about how this game came together.

Session One - General - this just shares some of the funny audio files from recent games -

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm ... I am not on YouTube (I have little enough free time as it is!), but I thought I might start a YouTube channel to host some of the videos I've created.

The only thing is that, while I'm curious what people would think - and I'm not averse to constructive criticism - YouTube is probably not the place for "constructive criticism", if the comments section is anything to go by. (Bleh.) :(

Why are people who comment on YouTube videos, generally speaking, such massive ego-driven jerks? :x
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:31 am Hmm ... I am not on YouTube (I have little enough free time as it is!), but I thought I might start a YouTube channel to host some of the videos I've created.
The only thing is that, while I'm curious what people would think - and I'm not averse to constructive criticism - YouTube is probably not the place for "constructive criticism", if the comments section is anything to go by. (Bleh.) :(
Why are people who comment on YouTube videos, generally speaking, such massive ego-driven jerks? :x
You can, if you just wanna share, disable comments on your videos.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Yes, I'm aware of that. If all I want to do is share, I can put it on my existing Vimeo account.

I'd like to get some comments, though - positive or negative - as long as they're not like "You suck, I can do much better than you, nyah nyah, ha ha ha" (which I've sometimes seen on YouTube). I've often seen worse, too (i.e. misspellings, or people just posting "first!" etc.)

Have you experienced anything like that? Can you delete these comments, or ban people like that?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:55 pm Have you experienced anything like that?
Yes.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:55 pm Can you delete these comments, or ban people like that?
Yes, to delete comments and yes to block.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Thank you. Again, something to think about :)

Return to “Community Games”