Break The Spine.

Talk about anything you want here
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Re: Break The Spine.

Post by Moon Dragon »

Some of my most fond childhood memories are of me eating ryebread sandwhiches with ham, cheese and mustard while my mom read the hobbit to me :D (Both the comic and the book).

At the moment I'm finishing Wicked. I've owned the book for some time now, along Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, but I didn't start reading it until recently because I saw the musical and wanted to compare. Boy what a difference :o . I'm not sure what I'll start reading next, I probably should read confessions, but I think I need a break from Maguires adult writting. Maybe I'll restart my Pratchett obsession or get on with my classics quests or maybe I'll take a completely different route and read some computer science books, if I can concentrate afteer my examns :? .
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Currently reading The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle on my new Nook eReader. I'd read all of the Sherlock Holmes stories but not any of his other works. Great story so far...think Jurassic Park... except it was published in 1912.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

dotkel50 wrote:Currently reading The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle on my new Nook eReader. I'd read all of the Sherlock Holmes stories but not any of his other works. Great story so far...think Jurassic Park... except it was published in 1912.
What a great book! I found it rather slow at the beginning, and it surely took a while before the expedition departed from London. However, as soon as the intrepid (more or less) explorers set foot in Amazonia I was hooked.

Dot, if you plan to read the other novels in the Challenger series, let me know what do you think of them. I own them - in a sort of "Challenger Omnibus" - but I have yet to read them!
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

I just downloaded them free from a site called Feedbooks. All 3 are Public Domain. I'll let you know what I think.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Incidentally, what kind of e-reader do you use? I was thinking of getting one and I've my eyes set on the Kindle, but I'm open to (non Apple-related) suggestions! :)
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

I have a Nook from Barnes & Noble. It connects via wi-fi and 3G. I don't think it's available outside of the U.S. though. I got it for the 3G cause I don't have access to wi-fi and I don't get out much these days.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Just get an Android pad. You can read ebooks with it and have the abilities of a pad.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:Just get an Android pad. You can read ebooks with it and have the abilities of a pad.
I HATE reading things like books online/through devices (Kindles, iPads, Android, etc). HATE. IT.

I get way too easily distracted. And it's not that the book is not interesting. It's just my ADD or whatever.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

I got the nook cause I've run out of storage space for all the books I own. They're everywhere!
Jules
Delta Babe

Post by Jules »

Even though I don't have one, both my sisters have a nook and they love it. They had their reasons of that over the kindle of which I don't remember. I think maybe because you can share books (two week max) with a friend who also has a nook? You can also check email on it as well. So I vote: NOOK! :D
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

You can share books that you've purchased from B&N but can only check email on the Nook Color.
gumby
Oldbie

Post by gumby »

While on vacation, I banged out A Game of Thrones and have moved on to A Clash of Kings. I rarely make time to read, but when I'm totally unplugged I consume books. I must say, these are really well done, very immersive & well worth the time. I am a bit concerned however; I'm about 150 pages into the 2nd book, and I fear that I must complete it (soon) or face never completing the series. My reason for this is that the complexity of the characters & relationships are such that I think I'd have a hard time retaining all the plot lines long-term - and getting back into it would be entirely too difficult.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Gumby, the Appendix is here to bring you up to speed should you forget something between novels and A Wiki Of Ice And Fire is a wonderful resource to look something up on the go.

I'm currently finishing the second Hap & Leonard's novel by Joe R. Lansdale and I plan to start the third, Two Bear Mambo, soon. I definitely recommend these books to any Noir buff who likes his or her PIs unconventional, rough and tough. The setting - Western Texas - is wonderfully depicted, the plots tightly paced, the characters incredibly well-written, the dialogue witty and vivid and the style superb.
Moon Dragon
Sierra Veteran

Post by Moon Dragon »

After playing BTTF I wanted to read some Jules verne, unfortunately my mother, who otherwise has enough old leather bound books to fill a (small) library, does not posses any, so while I wait for the small collection i found on amazon to be published, I've started The Island of Doctor Moreau by Wells instead :-) .
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

There's tons of free classic books at Project Gutenberg, and several sites have free eReaders for download.
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
I do understand the allure of reading from an actual book though.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”