Re: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - A SHP Playthrough

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco wrote:BBP, you're absolutely right. The info I was referring to is actually found in the novel. Here:

It had once been an army parade ground, way back in the days of the French (it was called La Plaza d'Armas then). Public executions had taken place here - hangings, beheadings. Gabriel wondered if mothers ever thought about that as their kiddies played on the grass. Even the name, Jackson Square, was a bit of a contradiction. The park was actually laid out in a circle.

Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Roc 1997, p. 13

I don't know how but I got confused. I was sure the info was in the game :) Thanks for spotting it, BBP!
And the thing is, the park is NOT laid out in a circle in reality.

It's a square.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I believe it refers to this circular layout.

Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Simo Sakari Aaltonen
Not Godiva Chocolates

Post by Simo Sakari Aaltonen »

On a map the area is marked as a square, but visiting the park in person, or seeing it from above (even at an angle) impresses - or so I would guess - the circle design on the viewer more strongly, due to the paved paths being in a circular formation, and there being trees at the corners of the square area. So the whole thing is shaped like a square, but the open central area (another sense of the word "square"!), surrounded by trees and bushes - I believe - is very much a circle. So the location as a whole is square in shape, but the part of it referred to by the term "square" in the sense of "open area" is circular. Is this an acceptable description? :)

P.S. I have not had the pleasure of visiting this square circle or circular square myself, so the above impression is wholly gathered from studying images and descriptions. It is intended as a curio only. I cannon guarantee accuracy!
Website: https://simosakariaaltonen.com — Podcast What Now with Simo: https://rss.com/podcasts/simo/
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I definitely agree with your analysis, Simo ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

The thing is - that circle part (with Jackson on a horse) is pretty small in comparison to the rest of Jackson Square. Now granted, there's a big circle (two of them, really) around the park. However, on one side of the park is a major street. On the other side is the Church (and a major walk way where many painters and musicians set up). On the other two sides are walk ways and buildings. Giving the park a VERY square feeling. Because when you're inside, it feels like a big square (to me) with massive trees in the four corners. But those trees don't dominate the park in those areas, because there's an assortment of benches to sit there and enjoy the shade of these old trees, that have sprawled up.

So I guess it depends on how you want to look at it. Having been there, and knowing the surrounding areas, to me it definitely felt like a square. Especially from inside. Especially with Jane writing: The park was actually laid out in a circle.
Attachments
Image2.png
Simo Sakari Aaltonen
Not Godiva Chocolates

Thanks, Andrea! :) Tawmis, I defer to your personal experience of actually having been there. My impression is of course greatly shaped by GK showing only that central area of the park. (Which made sense in terms of game design and in order to emphasise the circle/vévé connection.)
Website: https://simosakariaaltonen.com — Podcast What Now with Simo: https://rss.com/podcasts/simo/
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I'm not joking, I swear, but when I look at that picture, Tawmis, the first thing that jumps to my mind is the circular shape of the innermost part of the plase. It could be because this layout is almost non-existant in Italian architecture, at least to my knowledge, or it could be because, being the most peculiar shape of the two, it pops up.

So let's just say that Jackson square is a circle inscribed in a square. And now, calculate the area and the radium! :P
Simo Sakari Aaltonen
Not Godiva Chocolates

Yes, that's how it works for me, too - the circle stands out more. (But again, I was never there in my three-dimensional life.)

(And of course the real truth about Jackson Square is that it is two triangles sharing a single side and not a square at all. ;) How's that for a curve ball - um, curve pyramid...?)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

AndreaDraco wrote:And now, calculate the area and the radium! :P
And just how radioactive is Jackson Square? ;)
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Extremely :P

(Oops... It should have been 'radius,' of course :))
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

[i]The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T.[/i] wrote:Dr. Terwilliker: "Is it atomic?"
Bartholomew Collins: "Very!"
:lol:
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

It's squaring the circle!
Datadog wrote:Also - that was Tetelo possessing the fortune-teller? Man, that's so awesome! I just thought she was being scary on principle.
I don't know for sure, but that's the impression I had this playthrough.

Anyway, Chapter 5 and 6...

The thing I didn't get with Sergeant Frick was why he was suddenly saying they don't have a Detective Mosely. Why couldn't he just say Mosely was on vacation? Mosely's note said the department thought he was on vacation, since he pretended to take their suggestion. Unless they were planning on getting rid of Mosely...

I was actually pretty surprised by how nice Gabriel was being to Grace after the entire dead chicken thing. Even when you talk to her after the incident, he was surprisingly concerned. Wow, he actually can be a decent guy once in a while. Too bad it took a mostly dead voodoo chicken to do it. ;)
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Day 5: I just knew Hartridge was dead.
Day 6: That tattoo painting scene does look so very wrong. :lol:
The 2 of them flirting made me laugh, especially when Gabe says "too bad I couldn't make it last
longer".
Coming out of Moseley's office.......just looking for a restroom??? WTF? He's been going in and out of
there all week. And why did they let him just leave?
Figured the voodoo queen was Malia. Isn't gedde a voodoo spirit?
Maiandra
Oldbie

Post by Maiandra »

dotkel50 wrote: Day 6: That tattoo painting scene does look so very wrong. :lol:
The 2 of them flirting made me laugh, especially when Gabe says "too bad I couldn't make it last longer".
That WAS pretty funny, especially when Grace responds, "It was pretty much what I expected." :lol:
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Typical man. :lol:

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”