King's Quest by the Odd Gentlemen (Trailer inside!)

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Re: King's Quest by the Odd Gentlemen (Trailer inside!)

Post by notbobsmith »

It's available for preorder from Steam, GameStop and Amazon. Does anyone know if it will be available from GOG?
Prince_Alex
Noob

How is no one talking about this...?

Post by Prince_Alex »

...or maybe I just missed the thread. BUT IT'S AWESOME!

This caught me totally unawares until a friend told me about his recent trip to E3. A new, official King's Quest is dropping. I haven't played it yet, but you can bet I'm going to. KQVI was my first computer game, and that series (along with QfG) brought me to the original Sierra forums eons ago.

I know I haven't been much of a poster over here--after the original forums closed, I think I remember posting on a GK one...maybe it was Almirena's?...but then that one disappeared (or maybe it didn't; I could have just forgotten the name and lost the link) and then I also posted on Quest for More Glory. Gosh, this post has turned into a stream of conscious trip down memory lane. I can't even believe I remembered my password to log on. Anyway, I primarily wanted to just share the damn good news.

King's Quest: A Knight to Remember
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/28/ ... ber-review

http://www.amazon.com/Kings-Quest-Chapt ... o+remember
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: How is no one talking about this...?

Post by Collector »

01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Prince_Alex
Noob

Post by Prince_Alex »

Ah, yes, in the King's Quest folder of course. That makes much more sense.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Prince_Alex wrote:Ah, yes, in the King's Quest folder of course. That makes much more sense.
Going to combine this with that thread! ;)
Prince_Alex
Noob

Post by Prince_Alex »

Oh wow, that's like witchcraft! Forum technology has come along way these days.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Prince_Alex wrote:Oh wow, that's like witchcraft! Forum technology has come along way these days.
It's like magic from Daventry, if you will! ;)
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

The final chapter has been made available for download a few days ago, so the game is now finally complete. I'm still working it right now.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

And they're selling the entire thing packaged - on various consoles - but oddly, so far, not on PC.

May pick it up for the XBO... Just waiting to see if they do a packaged PC release.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

You can get "King's Quest: The Complete Collection" as a package on Steam for PC.

But it seems it's not over yet. They're still advertising an unreleased "epilogue".
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Datadog wrote:You can get "King's Quest: The Complete Collection" as a package on Steam for PC.

But it seems it's not over yet. They're still advertising an unreleased "epilogue".
Naturally. So anyone who gets it on the packaged deals (previously mentioned) misses out on content. :roll:
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

TOG's King's Quest was enjoyable. After the first chapter the amount of content drops significantly (it seems ActiVision's funding of the project plummeted after seeing the lackluster reception the first chapter got), but they're still pretty good. You could say the subsequent chapters become more "focused" but I wouldn't. I like all that content and miss it. I consider it all better than anything Telltale has done lately. Well told story, if that's what you're into more than anything. Well worth it. If you didn't pick it up in the recent second bout of the Humble Sierra Bundle you are not to be forgiven.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

MusicallyInspired wrote:TOG's King's Quest was enjoyable. After the first chapter the amount of content drops significantly (it seems ActiVision's funding of the project plummeted after seeing the lackluster reception the first chapter got), but they're still pretty good. You could say the subsequent chapters become more "focused" but I wouldn't. I like all that content and miss it. I consider it all better than anything Telltale has done lately. Well told story, if that's what you're into more than anything. Well worth it. If you didn't pick it up in the recent second bout of the Humble Sierra Bundle you are not to be forgiven.
I've got way too many games (I've not played yet!) on my plate... and I didn't care for the character animation (strange, I know, considering the AGI/SCI graphics, right? But back then that was expected - these days, there's new expectations)... So I will probably eventually get the entire collected version of this episodic game... but I am in no rush.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

MusicallyInspired wrote:I consider it all better than anything Telltale has done lately.
Not exactly a very high bar.
Tawmis wrote:I've got way too many games (I've not played yet!) on my plate... and I didn't care for the character animation (strange, I know, considering the AGI/SCI graphics, right? But back then that was expected - these days, there's new expectations)...
It is a matter of the style, not resolution. While I generally like certain things about KQ7 I find the cartoony style of the sprites off putting. It is the same with what I have seen of the new KQ. I also don't like the way they have turned Graham into a decrepit old man. It sets canon that essentially puts to an end any further adventures of Graham. There is nothing that says that Daventry time has to pass the same as real time.
Tawmis wrote:So I will probably eventually get the entire collected version of this episodic game... but I am in no rush.
I probably will, too at some point.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Collector wrote:Not exactly a very high bar.
True, but I don't think it's "just above" Telltale's quality either. I personally think it's way better.
It is a matter of the style, not resolution. While I generally like certain things about KQ7 I find the cartoony style of the sprites off putting. It is the same with what I have seen of the new KQ.
I didn't like KQ7's animation because it was bad. Very awkward and bizarre animations that weren't put together very well and give away that it's actually a piece of programming with art assets instead of a game world you're supposed to escape in. I also didn't really like the Disney style. TOG's King's Quest is cartoony yes, but it's got way more detail and doesn't "expose the strings" so to speak. It's well done, even if you don't like the style (which is fine).
I also don't like the way they have turned Graham into a decrepit old man. It sets canon that essentially puts to an end any further adventures of Graham. There is nothing that says that Daventry time has to pass the same as real time.
That's a poor criticism. Just because this game tells the story when he's an old man at near end of his days doesn't mean there weren't any other adventures he had that we still don't know about. He wasn't telling stories of his entire life in 5 chapters. They just happen to have been told from the perspective of his "final adventure." I mean, the whole premise of the game is that it's a collection of stories told in between eachother at different times. That proves there's more room for more stories. That doesn't "put an end to any further adventures of Graham."
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001

Return to “The King's Quest Series”