Betrayal in Antara - Loading Problem

Before there was Game of Thrones, there was the Krondor series! Feeling betrayed? Defend the throne! Post your questions, comments and concerns here in regards to the Krondor series!
fadedparadox
Noob

Betrayal in Antara - Loading Problem

Post by fadedparadox »

I installed my old Betrayal in Antara CDs using Windows 3.1 installed though DOSBox. I also installed the Antara patch 1.1. Took a bit of tweaking, but everything works perfectly, save for one thing. I can't load saved files. It always errors out with this error:

Error: Could not open database file!
(TRW_FLAG.WDB)

Any idea what's causing this, and how to fix it?
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Betrayal in Antara - Loading Problem

Post by Collector »

Use the Squirt the Cat Installer for Betrayal in Antara instead of DOSBox. This is a 32bit game and is playable on Win3x by the Win32s addon.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

fadedparadox
Noob

Post by fadedparadox »

I got the win32 installed, like I said, everything works perfectly except the database when I try to load.

I did try Squirt's installer originally, and it did install, but all I see when it starts up is noise. Audio (and as far as I can tell, gameplay) works, just no video.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Update your graphics card drivers and your DirectX and try the StC installer again. You may also wish to post your problem on jafa's board. He would have a better idea why you are having problems with his installer. This would also be a service to the community as the problem might not be specific to you. Informing jafa might lead to a fix for his installer, if that is where the problem is.

There used to be issues with the Win32s in DOSBox, but DOSBox is constantly being improved. I have not checked on the Win32s compatibility, lately, but if Qbix sees this, he would be able to say if there are still problems. I have not tried it in DOSBox, but will try to replicate the problem. Give me some time.

fadedparadox
Noob

Post by fadedparadox »

Collector wrote:Update your graphics card drivers and your DirectX and try the StC installer again.
I do have the latest drivers and DirectX version. That's why I attempted the original program though DOSBox. It's possible my graphics card just won't work with it. I hope that's not it.
Collector wrote: You may also wish to post your problem on jafa's board. He would have a better idea why you are having problems with his installer. This would also be a service to the community as the problem might not be specific to you. Informing jafa might lead to a fix for his installer, if that is where the problem is.
I'll try that.
Collector wrote:There used to be issues with the Win32s in DOSBox, but DOSBox is constantly being improved. I have not checked on the Win32s compatibility, lately, but if Qbix sees this, he would be able to say if there are still problems. I have not tried it in DOSBox, but will try to replicate the problem. Give me some time.
I've used several Win32 programs through DOSBox before, that's why I felt comfortable with trying Antara. Here are the details of my setup:

DOSBox 0.73, CD images mounted through Daemon Tools Lite to drive L (I know the images are clean, they're from my originals), Windows 3.1 default install with S3 graphics drivers and SB16 sound drivers. Both drivers work quite well, with other programs as well as Antara.

DOSBox CPU settings:
core=dynamic
cputype=pentium_slow
cycles=auto
cycleup=500
cycledown=20
DOSBox Autoex:
mount c c:\dwin
c:
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\WINDOWS;
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
mount d l:\
All other DOSBox settings at default.

I appreciate your feedback, Collector. I'm at a loss, I can't seem to find either problem (with Jafa's or the DOSBox install) in any search I've done, which as someone who regularly does tech support, I find very odd. This is the first time I've posted a problem I've had in a long, long time.

Again, thanks!
fadedparadox
Noob

Post by fadedparadox »

Also, a sidenote, after Antara is intalled through Win3.1/DOSBox, I can attempt to run it from that directory in Windows XP. The first time I try, it works, but has the exact same error as my original post. Every time after that, it crashes. Once I log off my user and back on, it lets me play again once, with the same error and same crashing until I log off and back on again. Quite odd.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I have finally gotten around to setting up 3.11 in DOSBox again and got the same error. I'll fool around with it for a while, but it does not look promising.

Return to “The Krondor Series”