Most frustrating Game Moment.

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

So we always carry on about how great the Sierra classics were - but how about that one time - when there was one of them that just FRUSTRATED you? Whether it was a puzzle or some game design. Let's hear it. I'd love to hear the Sierra related ones first - and if you have other games (feel free to name multiple Sierra ones and multiple non Sierra ones)...
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Re: Most frustrating Game Moment.

Post by JasefWisener »

There's plenty of them for me.

One that particularly stands out is the space ship sequence at the end of Space Quest III. That sequence is probably one of the hardest things for me to do in any of the Sierra games.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Aside from some of the random timer bugs...

- KQ4 - those spiral stairs. How many times can I fall to my death?

- SQ3 - walking on those cables (in the beginning). Again. How many times can I fall to my death?

- LSL2 - The airplane bit with the paperbag. Poor wording made it very difficult to pass.

- KQ3 - That wizard. Gods I hated that Wizard.

- Willy Beamish - The beginning. Dear gawd talk about stopping me at the start!
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

Completely forgot the wizard part in KQ3. Probably because I'm trying to block that part out of my memory....
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Yeah the wizard thing had me stumped. I knew I had to do magic on him (just because of the manual with the spells) - but it took me forever to figure out how to hide the stuff from him... and I can't count how many times I'd get something - then forget to hide it - he'd appear and zap me.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

No mention of the KQ4 whale's tongue?
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

I love the beginning of KQ3, and yes, Collector, I'm going to say KQ4 The Quest for Nostrils! But, now, the more frustrating moment is, without a single doubt...

...ASTRO CHICKEN!

:x :x :x
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

Collector beat me to the Whale's Tongue. Gaaaaah! All that just to get to an unknown desert island which happens to have some weird random item you need. How did we ever get by without guide books back then?

I'd go with any scene where I need to sit in front of a slot machine or poker table and repeatedly save and load just to get enough money. Or even more frustrating is that scene where you play a chance game against that guy in the galley in "Codename: Iceman," but he boots you out of the program if he catches you loading your game. So you need to spend hours on end in front of the computer trying to win through luck.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Datadog wrote: Or even more frustrating is that scene where you play a chance game against that guy in the galley in "Codename: Iceman," but he boots you out of the program if he catches you loading your game. So you need to spend hours on end in front of the computer trying to win through luck.
Very, very good point.

I think either this or when you're in the sub and get attacked the first time and need to dive to like 600 feet or something - are the most frustrating moments - ever - in Sierra history.
Tinuviel
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Tinuviel »

Anything having to do with Codename: Iceman.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the game. But those sub arcade sequences (and, for that matter, the extreme detail that went into EVERY DARN THING YOU HAD TO DO in the game) made it the only Sierra game I had to get a walkthrough for to finish.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tinuviel wrote:Anything having to do with Codename: Iceman.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the game. But those sub arcade sequences (and, for that matter, the extreme detail that went into EVERY DARN THING YOU HAD TO DO in the game) made it the only Sierra game I had to get a walkthrough for to finish.

You're one up on me. I got the walk thru and still couldn't finish. :/
ThePudd
Sierra Fan

Post by ThePudd »

Well, apart from the ones mentioned here already, I'd have to say climbing down the mountain in KQ3 really got annoying.
Especially when you're in a hurry, and there's no way you can make it around that boulder on fast speed so you have to slow it down and time's just ticking and you just know you're going to get fried by that @#$% wizard before you get to the top and sure enough you end up having to reload your whole valley excursion just in order to avoid arriving back at the house late and by this time your room furniture is in serious danger...[/rant]
Almirena
Supreme Songstress

Post by Almirena »

Rosella and the stairs. Ohhhh yes. Especially when playing that game on a computer without a MOUSE. I grew very, very, very sick of the arrow keys.

The whale tongue... not as bad as I feared. Yes, it was frustrating, but I remember moving a little bit at a time and saving... so that if Rosella fell, she didn't have to begin again.

It was a "thank God for Load Saved Game" bit.
I purpled the martyred moon
Where twilight drank all light
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Almirena wrote:Rosanna and the stairs. Ohhhh yes. Especially when playing that game on a computer without a MOUSE. I grew very, very, very sick of the arrow keys.

The whale tongue... not as bad as I feared. Yes, it was frustrating, but I remember moving a little bit at a time and saving... so that if Alexander fell, he didn't have to begin again.
I think you mean when Rosella fell (off the tongue)? And don't you mean Rosella and the stairs? :D
Almirena
Supreme Songstress

Post by Almirena »

I had a "I haven't had enough coffee so my brain is letting my fingers type wrong things!" moment.

Oops!

<hurriedly edits post in furtive manner and hopes no one notices...>
I purpled the martyred moon
Where twilight drank all light

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”