Any Caesar fans out there?

Hail Caesar! And Hail Collector for making this forum! If you have questions, comments, or problems with the Caesar series - post them here!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Any Caesar fans out there?

Post by Collector »

Caesar was one of the most prominent strategy games ever made, ranking with the Sid Meier games. How about it, do we have any Caesar fans out here?
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Re: Any Caesar fans out there?

Post by AndreaDraco »

I've only played Ceasar III and I liked it. It's not really my type of game, but - since it's set in the Roman Empire - I played it nonetheless and had fun with it.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

At one time, when Impressions still had a website, the original Caesar was available for download for free.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

I absolutely loved Caesar 3, still do. I also like Caesar 4, am replaying it now. I also just ordered Caesar 2 from Amazon for $2.95. I have all the other City Builders from Sierra as well.... Zeus is my favorite.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

My mom used to play the demo all the time. Then, one day, I bought her the actual game and she got tired of it. I guess there was something about the demo's time limit that kept her coming back.
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

dotkel50 wrote:I absolutely loved Caesar 3, still do. I also like Caesar 4, am replaying it now. I also just ordered Caesar 2 from Amazon for $2.95. I have all the other City Builders from Sierra as well.... Zeus is my favorite.
Caesar 2 is quite different than the later city builders. In some ways it's much more simplified (hardly any walkers, low importance of employment etc...). The biggest difference is probably that each building has a certain range of influence, which is the most important thing to consider when setting up a cityblock. Also trade income is far less important than tax income, so you'll want to maximize land value to obtain large palaces. The maps and level objectives are unfortunately also simplified (only the river in the city map changes, no mountains present) allowing the player to always use the same layout on each map which, once you have a good layout, turns the game rather boring after a few provinces.

Anyway, if you need a good strategy, just ask ;).
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

Thanks Rudy
LockHood
Sierra Fan Wanna Be

Post by LockHood »

I have played Zeus and Posiedon and absolutely loved them. So I tried to try a hand at Caesar 1. And geez, I dont get it at all. The maps dont show religion or culture coverage so how do you know how many houses have access to them?. Sometimes the houses dont evolve even if I surround them with temples and schools and all that. I read the manual, but no big help. Please , any advices?
Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy »

LockHood wrote:I have played Zeus and Posiedon and absolutely loved them. So I tried to try a hand at Caesar 1. And geez, I dont get it at all. The maps dont show religion or culture coverage so how do you know how many houses have access to them?. Sometimes the houses dont evolve even if I surround them with temples and schools and all that. I read the manual, but no big help. Please , any advices?
I haven't played Caesar 1 yet, but have you tried right-clicking on a house to see if a panel shows up, indicating what it needs to evolve? That's the way to find out with Caesar 2, perhaps it's the same with Caesar 1. Also, welcome to the SierraHelp forums ;).
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.
dotkel50
Village Elder

Post by dotkel50 »

LockHood wrote:I have played Zeus and Posiedon and absolutely loved them. So I tried to try a hand at Caesar 1. And geez, I dont get it at all. The maps dont show religion or culture coverage so how do you know how many houses have access to them?. Sometimes the houses dont evolve even if I surround them with temples and schools and all that. I read the manual, but no big help. Please , any advices?
Welcome to the forum LockHood. I am a huge fan of the city builder games and I don't understand Caesar I or II either. Try Caesar III, it works very much like Zeus.....also Pharaoh/Cleopatra and Emperor:Rise of the Middle Kingdom.
LockHood
Sierra Fan Wanna Be

Post by LockHood »

Rudy wrote:I haven't played Caesar 1 yet, but have you tried right-clicking on a house to see if a panel shows up, indicating what it needs to evolve? That's the way to find out with Caesar 2, perhaps it's the same with Caesar 1. Also, welcome to the SierraHelp forums ;).
Thank you , but right clicking doesn't work with Caesar 1. I wonder how ppl played it at the time of its release :-)
dotkel50 wrote:Welcome to the forum LockHood. I am a huge fan of the city builder games and I don't understand Caesar I or II either. Try Caesar III, it works very much like Zeus.....also Pharaoh/Cleopatra and Emperor:Rise of the Middle Kingdom.
Thank yoy :-) Since I liked Zeus , I thought I'd play the whole city building series from the first. Anyway , I'll go with the other games for now.

Return to “The Caesar Series”