The Official Book of Kings Quest (split from New Acquisitions)

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
Omni
Noob

The Official Book of Kings Quest (split from New Acquisitions)

Post by Omni »

cpages2 wrote:Here are some more new items:

The Official Book of Kings Quest (1988)

- Mike
Do you know if this is a first edition/printing?
cpages2
Sierra Obsessed

Re: New Acquisitions Thread (image heavy)

Post by cpages2 »

Omni wrote:
cpages2 wrote:Here are some more new items:

The Official Book of Kings Quest (1988)

- Mike
Do you know if this is a first edition/printing?

I do believe it is, or that is what I was told. Why do you ask?

- Mike
Omni
Noob

Post by Omni »

A few people over at http://sciprogramming.com/community/ind ... opic=372.0 are looking for someone with a First Edition First Printing of this book to see if it contains SCI code examples or AGI.

Some believe that the first printing of the first edition contains SCI while later editions contain AGI due to a lawsuit.
cpages2
Sierra Obsessed

Post by cpages2 »

Omni wrote:A few people over at http://sciprogramming.com/community/ind ... opic=372.0 are looking for someone with a First Edition First Printing of this book to see if it contains SCI code examples or AGI.

Some believe that the first printing of the first edition contains SCI while later editions contain AGI due to a lawsuit.

Let me know if I can help at all, I can snap some pictures of the book if needed.

- Mike
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Well, if you can just scan the page with the code and post it here we could determine if it is AGI or SCI code.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Omni wrote:A few people over at http://sciprogramming.com/community/ind ... opic=372.0 are looking for someone with a First Edition First Printing of this book to see if it contains SCI code examples or AGI.

While digging up my BLUE FORCE box; I pulled out my first printing of The Official Book of King's Quest: Daventry and Beyond and can verify it does have some samples of code. Only three small samples. Will hook up my scanner and get it scanned a little later.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis wrote:
While digging up my BLUE FORCE box; I pulled out my first printing of The Official Book of King's Quest: Daventry and Beyond and can verify it does have some samples of code. Only three small samples. Will hook up my scanner and get it scanned a little later.
Appears to be SCI coding.

It's not much but that's all the coding within the book. Feel free to pass it on and post it on that forum, as I am not a member on the forum and don't want to be bothered with signing up. :lol:
Attachments
TOBOKQDAB-01.png
TOBOKQDAB-02.png
TOBOKQDAB-03.png
QuestCollector
Sierra Veteran

Post by QuestCollector »

That's interesting. I wonder what the tempy stands for in the coding. Anyone know?
gumby
Oldbie

Post by gumby »

QuestCollector wrote:That's interesting. I wonder what the tempy stands for in the coding. Anyone know?
It has to do with the y-coordinate - presumably a 'temporary' variable. If you look in the second screenshot, 'tempx' is also referenced.
lance.ewing
Noob

Re: The Official Book of Kings Quest (split from New Acquisi

Post by lance.ewing »

The way to verify whether this is a first printing is to look at the page with the publishers details on it. Below the ISBN you will see the text "Printed in the United States of America". Immediately below that is the printing number. For example:

10 9 8 7 6 5 4

If it appeared as the above then it would be the fourth printing. If, however, it appears as follows:

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

...then it is a first printing.

Are you able to confirm from the above that this copy of the book is a first printing? Better yet maybe attach a scan of the copyright/publisher page.

The scans attached so far unfortunately show AGI code. SCI code looks quite a bit different from this. For starters there will be no curly braces {} and no semi-colons. Instead there will be a lot of standard () braces. The syntax of SCI code is LISP-like. As a comparison, the code shown in the above images would say something like:

position(smoke, 95 16);

The SCI equivalent would be more like this:

(smoke position: 95 16)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Hi Lance. Welcome to SHP. I have moved you over to the regular members so you don't have to wait for your posts to be approved. The probationary membership is a spambot filter.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

lance.ewing wrote:The way to verify whether this is a first printing is to look at the page with the publishers details on it. Below the ISBN you will see the text "Printed in the United States of America". Immediately below that is the printing number. For example:

10 9 8 7 6 5 4

If it appeared as the above then it would be the fourth printing. If, however, it appears as follows:

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

...then it is a first printing.

Are you able to confirm from the above that this copy of the book is a first printing? Better yet maybe attach a scan of the copyright/publisher page.
It is indeed first edition. When I get home, I will be happy to scan it to verify it. But I am 99.999999999999999% certain it's first edition.
lance.ewing
Noob

Post by lance.ewing »

Tawmis wrote:It is indeed first edition. When I get home, I will be happy to scan it to verify it. But I am 99.999999999999999% certain it's first edition.
Thanks. That would be really great.

To clarify something from my post above, both of the examples I have given are first editions. Where they differ is in the printing number. One is a first edition, fourth printing. The other is a first edition, first printing. I assume you meant that you're 99.99% certain it's a first printing rather than first edition?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

lance.ewing wrote: I assume you meant that you're 99.99% certain it's a first printing rather than first edition?
Aye. Will dig it up a little later today. (Requires digging it back out from a mess of stuff again). :lol:
cpages2
Sierra Obsessed

Post by cpages2 »

As soon as I get home I will also check mine.

Return to “The King's Quest Series”