King's Quest VII - Why so much hate?

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
pppp
Sierra Fan

King's Quest VII - Why so much hate?

Post by pppp »

True, 7 was different(easier and a little more family friendly) but it still has all the entertaining deaths,will breaking puzzles and obscure puns(Like the powder room pun) that i love so much.Also you have to give it to the visuals: Even by today's standards it's a gorgeous game.And the music,my god,Jay Usher's score to me doesn't get enough love. It's catchy,beautiful and very memorable(The gravedigger's theme will be in my head till i die).

Most of the time it gets hate because it was Disney-like. I don't think it's very fair.

Thoughts?

Thrice now i curse, and from the first, your family shall feel the worse
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: King's Quest VII - Why so much hate?

Post by Tawmis »

pppp wrote: Most of the time it gets hate because it was Disney-like. I don't think it's very fair.
Thoughts?
I actually love KQ7 for the fact that it's Disney. To me that's the natural direction King's Quest should have gone. To me, King's Quest was always the "Family Quest Game" (where as, like Leisure Suit Larry was the Adult, Space Quest was Humor, Police Quest was realism, Quest for Glory was for the RPGers, Gabriel Knight was for mystery) - so for King's Quest to go Disney-like to me was a natural move. King's Quest always had little themes and such that linked to those classic childhood stories; so I thought it was great that Disney-like. To me, this made it more - marketable, I guess - for families to sit down with their kids (or even adults to do it, or kids to do it alone!) and solve these problems and puzzles within King's Quest. The cartoony nature, to me seems as though it would have enhanced a child's desire to play an interactive cartoon.

This is why I believe Torin's Passage is so incredible. It's an interactive cartoon.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

While I certainly don't hate KQVII - I like it quite a bit, in fact - I still think that, after the bold, courageous and complex KQVI they should have moved the series in that direction. Instead, they chose to go back to the family-friendly entertainment of the first titles, enhanced by gorgeous, lavish Disney-like graphics. Which is very fine, mind you. But KQVI, with its dark themes and epic questing, is definitely more my cup of tea and I would have liked a seventh installment that built upon those strenghts.

Still, I would take KQVII over Mask of the Eternity every day of the year.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
pppp
Sierra Fan

Post by pppp »

Tawmis wrote: This is why I believe Torin's Passage is so incredible. It's an interactive cartoon.
Heck yeah,Torin's Passage rules.
AndreaDraco wrote:KQVI, with its dark themes and epic questing, is definitely more my cup of tea
Epic questing indeed but i never understood where are the supposed "dark themes" of KQ6.There's murder,an underworld where you show a sad vision on the mirror to the lord of the dead,but that's about it.

Thrice now i curse, and from the first, your family shall feel the worse
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Well, they weren't dark as in, say, a Gabriel Knight-type of dark. It's more a matter of tone and atmosphere and how the various lands are presented. Throughout the game, I always get a very definite, melancholic vibe, like that of a wolrd at the end of its days. Many isles are imbued of this feeling of decadence and the villain of the game is certainly more ominous and perilous than those seen in the previous installments.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Can't stand the game. Hate the art style, hate the characters, hate the writing, the music is boring, the animation is clumsy, inconsistent and jarring, and it's too easy. They also ruined Rosella's character. And gave Valanice and equally annoying one as well.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
jujigatame
Sierra Lover

Post by jujigatame »

Why the hate? Because they followed up the deepest, richest, most mature chapter in the series with a cutesy, corny piece of fluff.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

The graphic direction of KQ7 wasn't completely misled - I too, think that it was the natural direction the series would eventually take. But I think KQ7 made the same mistakes that KQ5 did when they explored new technologies, in that they targeted TOO family-friendly an audience.

I like to think that if Sierra continued in this style, the real KQ8 would have been considered an upgrade to KQ7. "Torin's Passage" was already a good indication of the direction it might have gone.

Return to “The King's Quest Series”