Help with new computer - what do you think?

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Help with new computer - what do you think?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I'm looking to buy a new computer, as my current one is outdated and reaching the end of its life. (Alas!)

I've narrowed it down to a choice of two - either this or this.

Both are pretty similar to the one I have, RAM wise and HDD wise. The big difference is the processor - the first uses an i7, whereas the second uses an i5 (and currently, I have an i3). Both run Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), which I'm happy with.

Which would you recommend? Personally, I'd prefer the i7, obviously; however, is it worth spending an extra $200 for?

Thanks for your help...! :)
Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Re: Help with new computer - what do you think?

Post by Expack3 »

Rath Darkblade wrote:I'm looking to buy a new computer, as my current one is outdated and reaching the end of its life. (Alas!)

I've narrowed it down to a choice of two - either this or this.

Both are pretty similar to the one I have, RAM wise and HDD wise. The big difference is the processor - the first uses an i7, whereas the second uses an i5 (and currently, I have an i3). Both run Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), which I'm happy with.

Which would you recommend? Personally, I'd prefer the i7, obviously; however, is it worth spending an extra $200 for?

Thanks for your help...! :)
It depends on what games you want to play. If you're planning on playing AAA games or indie games which are graphics-intensive, such as ARK: Survival Evolved, you'll want the i7 as not only will the games use all that extra processing power for their CPU-intensive processes, it will also ensure you can be sending as much data to your GPU as possible. If you're planning on playing games as graphically-intensive as, say, FEZ or Teleglitch, though, then the i5 will more than suffice.

(Also, in the event you like to play games in the X series, like X: Reunion or X: Beyond the Frontier, you'll need the i7 just for the per-core clockspeed. Those games - even Reunion - are designed around single-core processors.)
You like manuals. You like manuals. You love them. You cannot resist manuals.
Your gameplay experience is meaningless without manuals.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Well... I'm not much into Indie games, but from the screenshots I've seen of these games, I think I can see what you mean.

I'm not sure what AAA games are - do you mean something like the Elder Scrolls games and such? If so, then yes - I have both Oblivion and Skyrim, and I am considering Elder Scrolls Online. I'm also considering Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - I've had my eye on it for quite some time.

The main reason that I'm looking to upgrade my computer is because, for the past few weeks, I've been having a big problem: it would boot normally, but a few minutes after I logged in, it would suddenly suffer a BSOD and I had to do a hard reboot. After I did that and started again, there were no problems, so I wasn't too worried about it. But then it was happening every time I started my computer - first I'd get a BSOD, and after a hard reboot, it worked fine.

I find it hard to understand why I got a BSOD, but I believe it has something to do with my display drivers because the BSOD error message told me that my display adapter (AMD Radeon HD 5670) was at fault. I tried to update my display drivers, but Device Manager told me that my drivers were up to date. Maybe I should try to roll them back, then? Any ideas?

Thanks again! :)
Expack3
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Expack3 »

Rath Darkblade wrote:Well... I'm not much into Indie games, but from the screenshots I've seen of these games, I think I can see what you mean.

I'm not sure what AAA games are - do you mean something like the Elder Scrolls games and such? If so, then yes - I have both Oblivion and Skyrim, and I am considering Elder Scrolls Online. I'm also considering Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - I've had my eye on it for quite some time.

The main reason that I'm looking to upgrade my computer is because, for the past few weeks, I've been having a big problem: it would boot normally, but a few minutes after I logged in, it would suddenly suffer a BSOD and I had to do a hard reboot. After I did that and started again, there were no problems, so I wasn't too worried about it. But then it was happening every time I started my computer - first I'd get a BSOD, and after a hard reboot, it worked fine.

I find it hard to understand why I got a BSOD, but I believe it has something to do with my display drivers because the BSOD error message told me that my display adapter (AMD Radeon HD 5670) was at fault. I tried to update my display drivers, but Device Manager told me that my drivers were up to date. Maybe I should try to roll them back, then? Any ideas?

Thanks again! :)
When I talk about AAA games, I'm referring to Fallout 4, Elder Scrolls Online, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, and Tales of Zestiria.

As far as your BSOD issues, there are several things I'd try: first, uninstall the drivers, then re-install them; second, if that doesn't work, update your motherboard's BIOS with the latest official version (unless, of course, it's already up-to-date), the repeat the first thing; third, if that still doesn't work, rollback to last stable drivers for your GPU.

Also, regardless of whether you upgrade your computer, I'd recommend upgrading your GPU. That one's starting to get obsoleted.
You like manuals. You like manuals. You love them. You cannot resist manuals.
Your gameplay experience is meaningless without manuals.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Fair enough. Sorry, I nearly forgot about this thread. My mistake. :oops:

Unfortunately, I can't update my GPU without updating my motherboard; it's too old to take anything newer. :( Since I'm running an i3, I may as well upgrade to either an i5 or an i7 - but again, my motherboard won't take them.

But since I need to update my motherboard, CPU & GPU, then should I throw out my current computer and buy a new one? Or should I just update those three? What do you think? :)

Thank you so much for your help.
Maxor127
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Maxor127 »

Just buy a new computer. CPU/GPU/Mobo is most of the cost anyways. I'm surprised you can't upgrade your GPU though. As long as it has PCI-E, then you should be able to upgrade. I don't think either of those computers look that great. On both, you'll have to add a GPU if you want to play graphically intensive games. I don't know how good the PSU is for those, so that may limit your GPU selection. Size of the case is another limiting factor because many GPUs are huge and can be over 12 inches long. That's why I prefer just building my own and knowing exactly what parts I'm getting and what will fit.

I think that i7 is overkill and not worth the extra $200. i7 is best for if you do lots of CPU intensive, like video editing. That $200 is better spent on the GPU. So if you don't need that extra CPU power, I'd go with i5, but there are probably newer and better models than the i5 you linked. That i5-4460 is probably a year or two old. There are newer similar processors that should be out now. GPU is the most important component if you care about playing the latest games.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm... unfortunately, although I know how to install drives and RAM (simple!), I don't know how to install motherboards, CPUs or GPUs (or PSUs). So I can't build my own - and if I ask a computer store to build it for me, they usually charge an extra $100 to do so, which I find ridiculous. (Um, just to clarify: I don't find it ridiculous that they charge something, I find it ridiculous that they charge that much... but then again, I don't know how much time etc. it would take. It may be justified, in which case I'm talking rubbish!) :oops:

As for the PSU... if I get a new computer, can I re-use my existing PSU instead of the PSU on offer? I think my current PSU is better than any that I've seen, and I have two fans in my current case, so that may help too. ;)

Also... would it be worthwhile to get the i7, just so I don't have to upgrade again in a few years? As I understand it, the i7 is quite an old CPU anyway.

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”