Started playthrough

Feelin' like the ol' west is about ta get the best o' ya, partner? Well, come get your prescription of help in these forums for Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist!
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Started playthrough

Post by notbobsmith »

I finally started playing after putting the next game I should play up to a vote. I only just started Act II. So far it's pretty good. Lots of amusing bits. I have to look up the pharmacy stuff. I'm not sure about everything, but a lot of it sounds pretty accurate so I think they did their research. I'm also doing the floppy version versus the CD. I'll probably save that for my second playthrough.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Started playthrough

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote:I finally started playing after putting the next game I should play up to a vote. I only just started Act II. So far it's pretty good. Lots of amusing bits. I have to look up the pharmacy stuff. I'm not sure about everything, but a lot of it sounds pretty accurate so I think they did their research. I'm also doing the floppy version versus the CD. I'll probably save that for my second playthrough.
Is there a reason you went with floppy vs CD if you had the choice initially?
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote:
notbobsmith wrote:I finally started playing after putting the next game I should play up to a vote. I only just started Act II. So far it's pretty good. Lots of amusing bits. I have to look up the pharmacy stuff. I'm not sure about everything, but a lot of it sounds pretty accurate so I think they did their research. I'm also doing the floppy version versus the CD. I'll probably save that for my second playthrough.
From a thread a couple of months ago (http://www.sierrahelp.com/forums/viewto ... =45&t=4630) when I first got it from GOG. The text version has more jokes than the CD due to space constraints, so I decided to go with the floppy version.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote:
Tawmis wrote:
From a thread a couple of months ago (http://www.sierrahelp.com/forums/viewto ... =45&t=4630) when I first got it from GOG. The text version has more jokes than the CD due to space constraints, so I decided to go with the floppy version.
Wow! I was unaware of that... and how crazy is it that the disk versions had more room for jokes than the CD version. :lol:
adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

Text takes up (much) less space than voice.

However, it's not space that's the issue (the FPFP CD isn't at capacity); it's that Al Lowe just couldn't be bothered to record all the lines.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

adeyke wrote:Text takes up (much) less space than voice.
However, it's not space that's the issue (the FPFP CD isn't at capacity); it's that Al Lowe just couldn't be bothered to record all the lines.
Well clearly text takes up less space... but multiple discs vs 1 CD...

And is it Al Lowe who couldn't be bothered? Or is it Sierra? Because I don't think Al Lowe has any talking parts?
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote:And is it Al Lowe who couldn't be bothered? Or is it Sierra? Because I don't think Al Lowe has any talking parts?
I think it is Al that does the squeaky "score."
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

In the thread that was linked, I quoted what Josh Mandel had said about the situation (from Wikipedia). I'll reproduce that here:
Mandel had explained in a commentary the reason why there were so many more jokes in the Floppy Disk version as compared to the CD-ROM version of the game, "I had co-designed, directed, produced, and written the floppy version; there were no plans at all, at the time, to produce a CD version. When sales of the floppy version justified a CD version, I was no longer available to produce and direct it, having by then started on SQ6. Al Lowe was then tapped to do the casting and recording of the CD version, but the game already had so much text in it that, when it came time to record the inventory text, Al just stopped—he was, he said, tired of sitting in the sound studio. As I had written the vast majority of the game's text and dialogue, I pointed out to him that, in the process of cutting roughly 15% of the game's text from the recording, he'd not only left out many jokes, but many clues and hints as well".
That is, it's not that he himself spoke the lines, but he had to tell the actors how to say the lines, listen, give feedback, etc.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

adeyke wrote:In the thread that was linked, I quoted what Josh Mandel had said about the situation (from Wikipedia). I'll reproduce that here:
Mandel had explained in a commentary the reason why there were so many more jokes in the Floppy Disk version as compared to the CD-ROM version of the game, "I had co-designed, directed, produced, and written the floppy version; there were no plans at all, at the time, to produce a CD version. When sales of the floppy version justified a CD version, I was no longer available to produce and direct it, having by then started on SQ6. Al Lowe was then tapped to do the casting and recording of the CD version, but the game already had so much text in it that, when it came time to record the inventory text, Al just stopped—he was, he said, tired of sitting in the sound studio. As I had written the vast majority of the game's text and dialogue, I pointed out to him that, in the process of cutting roughly 15% of the game's text from the recording, he'd not only left out many jokes, but many clues and hints as well".
That is, it's not that he himself spoke the lines, but he had to tell the actors how to say the lines, listen, give feedback, etc.
Interesting. If Mandel did so much of the game's writing, I wonder why it is that Al Lowe tends to get the credit for the game?
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Hmm, I'm kind of stuck. I'm not far into the game either. I'm on the snail stampede. Odd that I made it as far as I did with Codename: Iceman, but got stuck here. No hints yet, please.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote:Hmm, I'm kind of stuck. I'm not far into the game either. I'm on the snail stampede. Odd that I made it as far as I did with Codename: Iceman, but got stuck here. No hints yet, please.
I remember that part... but off hand (it's been too long, part of the reason I did the Let's Play Sierra Games - give me a reason to replay these) - so I am not sure I could help off hand. I'd need to think about it. :|
adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke »

It's been ages since I played it, so I don't recall the details. I just know you need beerto use against them.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

I ended up getting a hint to get past this. The Lemmings homage was hilarious. :) I seem to be making better progress now. I'm not sure why I was hung up at this point.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

And I just finished. Great game. Very funny. I had a hiccup early on that I mentioned. I also used a hint with the gas cylinder near the end. I got hung up on the wrong train of thought. Final score was 979 of 999. Next up is the replay using the CD version.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote:And I just finished. Great game. Very funny. I had a hiccup early on that I mentioned. I also used a hint with the gas cylinder near the end. I got hung up on the wrong train of thought. Final score was 979 of 999. Next up is the replay using the CD version.
Which should be be pretty easy, all things considered...

Return to “Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist”