The One Thing That Stuck Out For Me About Freddy Pharkus...

Feelin' like the ol' west is about ta get the best o' ya, partner? Well, come get your prescription of help in these forums for Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

The One Thing That Stuck Out For Me About Freddy Pharkus...

Post by Tawmis »

The One Thing That Stuck Out For Me About the Freddy Farkas game...

All of Sierra's "main" games were very different in themes, and as a result - the way the game played, interacted, etc.

If you had to pick out ONE thing (good, or bad) - about the game, that left a lasting impression (and feel free to go into detail) - what would it be?

And I'd like it to be just ONE thing (because on some of our favorites, it's too easy to list all the things we enjoyed).

I want to focus on what made EACH game of the different titles (GK, LSL, PQ, KQ, etc) different than one another?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: The One Thing That Stuck Out For Me About Freddy Pharkus

Post by Tawmis »

For me, this goes back to the humor - this was different than LSL and SQ - this humor was ... more mature (not adult in nature) - but paced out and set up, nicely, throughout the game.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Mandel's influence?
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote:Mandel's influence?
Probably. Sometimes two people come together, and take each of their greatness and focus it into a single greatness.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I remember playing the floppy version demo (which was a wholly original story separate from the main game). Just running around exploring. I remember liking the cartoony western graphics, but never got anywhere.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

MusicallyInspired wrote:I remember playing the floppy version demo (which was a wholly original story separate from the main game). Just running around exploring. I remember liking the cartoony western graphics, but never got anywhere.
:lol:

It's a fun game with a lot of fun characters / interaction.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog »

MusicallyInspired wrote:I remember playing the floppy version demo (which was a wholly original story separate from the main game). Just running around exploring. I remember liking the cartoony western graphics, but never got anywhere.
I was going to say the demo too. I played that so many times before I got the actual game. And it was a pretty rich demo too - new puzzles, a new song, and so many interactions you can't get in the main game. I think Al Lowe actually wrote dialogue for every inventory item on every hotspot. I hadn't seen a demo with that much original content before, so it still stands out to me.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Datadog wrote:
I was going to say the demo too. I played that so many times before I got the actual game. And it was a pretty rich demo too - new puzzles, a new song, and so many interactions you can't get in the main game. I think Al Lowe actually wrote dialogue for every inventory item on every hotspot. I hadn't seen a demo with that much original content before, so it still stands out to me.
I clearly need to replay the demo...!
I don't remember it being so different!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Alas, I don't have the demo. I only ever played the game (and then, only on floppy disk).

For me, what stuck out a mile (and still does) is the clever theme song for Freddy. Possibly, this is because Freddy's theme song was recycled in LSL7 as the theme song for the Juggs. :P

I definitely remember chapter 2, as this was the chapter that I had to "become" a frontier pharmacist through Freddy and mix up compounds. I remember having the pressure of the clock, and when time was up... sorry, Freddy. The whole town is enveloped in the stink of horse flatulence, and everybody dies! :lol:
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Datadog wrote:I was going to say the demo too. I played that so many times before I got the actual game. And it was a pretty rich demo too - new puzzles, a new song, and so many interactions you can't get in the main game. I think Al Lowe actually wrote dialogue for every inventory item on every hotspot. I hadn't seen a demo with that much original content before, so it still stands out to me.
Actually that was Josh Mandel who made a response for every single interaction (and inventory item combination). That was his thing. Al removed it all in the CD voiced release to save on voice recording time/space. It was also Josh's move to make the demo an original experience. He did the same thing for Space Quest 6. He believed if you played the demo then paid full price for the full game with some of the same content, you were kind of cheated out of some content a bit.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Is it the same DEMO Collector has up?
http://sierrahelp.com/Misc/Demos.html#F
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Yeah, both are there. The floppy demo was an original experience. The CD demo with voices is just the first part of the game and not different from the full game (except that a bunch of stuff is cut off from you).

Return to “Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist”