Gog Wish list to include original files.

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Gog Wish list to include original files.

Post by Tawmis »

GoG, with the use of SCUMMVM is now no longer including all the original files - forcing you to use ScummVM rather than DOSBox if you wanted.
Having them include these extra files is utterly minimal for "file size" downloads...
Especially games, like the Old Sierra games!
I've made a wishlist - and if you have a gog account - feel free to upvote it (and pass it around)...
If you don't have a gog account - you can make one - upvote it - and pass it around!

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/for_d ... inal_files

(Just ran into it because I was going to use DOSBox + Pixel Perfect for the Kyrandia games; and see they don't include the game executable....)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Gog Wish list to include original files.

Post by Tawmis »

So... the Book of Faces is a great tool to use.
So I posted the link to the wish list (https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/for_d ... inal_files) on several Sierra related facebook groups - and got much more traction and responses on the wishlist; with more upvotes and a few more comments.

Hoping that GoG eventually sees this and makes it a reality.

I've been posting in the GoG forums and linking to it at the bottom of all my posts (as a faux signature since you can't actually do signatures on GoG) :)
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

I used galaxy to roll back a few of the larry games to older versions. seem they were configured to run with scummvm for quite a while now. But i do see some dos executables in there.
Is there any game you want me to check ?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Qbix wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:35 am I used galaxy to roll back a few of the larry games to older versions. seem they were configured to run with scummvm for quite a while now. But i do see some dos executables in there.
Is there any game you want me to check ?
All of the Sierra stuff, I am good for. (I have all of them on disk or CD collection)

I noticed the executables missing in Kyrandia when I used GoG (because of ScummVM) - not too big of a deal, because I have them also on disk and CD.

My concern is games that I got that are Dos Related that I don't have an original copy for (say, like Dragonsphere).

Because ScummVM doesn't allow recording natively, if I want to do a play through and record it - I'd have to use a third party application.
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

dragonsphere currently seems to use DOSBox. At least, I see a DOSBox folder in there.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Qbix wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:46 pm dragonsphere currently seems to use DOSBox. At least, I see a DOSBox folder in there.
Correct. My concern is currently. :)
Dragonsphere is just an example where I don't have the original disks (only through GoG). So I have those executables (I saved those locally on my external).

My thing is what if some other DOS game of interest pops up - and it's already set up with ScummVM. I won't be able to get the executables to use DOSBox.
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having the choice to use DOSBox if I want to.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Qbix wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:05 pm Yeah, I wouldn't mind having the choice to use DOSBox if I want to.
Yeah; so that's what I am vying for. :)

Hoping my one small voice is eventually enough to make this happen.

Return to “Miscellaneous Chatter”