working remote mouse with DOSBox using installers. HOW?

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
puttwill
Noob

working remote mouse with DOSBox using installers. HOW?

Post by puttwill »

1st off, not sure if this is the correct forum to put this in, if there's a better one let me know. 2nd off, the information I'm trying to find might be a tad hard to understand. I might have to post a video to demonstrate. Hopefully I can explain it well enough.

I spend a lot of time away from home using a computer that I can not install things on. I am able to run portable teamviewer, so I can connect to my home PCs. This allows me to do most things, EXCEPT DOSBox games using a mouse. What happens is the local mouse will move normally, and the remote mouse in the dos box moves in vastly different ways. Perhaps exponentially? Very slight local mouse movements will move the remote mouse VASTLY farther. You can get it to work if you move very slow but it's very easy to over shoot what you want to click. I was able to minimize this by turning the mouse movement down in dos box, but not perfect. I've seen others reference this issue but never found a fix. I tried other emulators and other remote programs but always the same problem. I had kind of given up.

So then I got a hankering to play Hero's Quest(whoops Quest for Glory). I stumbled upon the installers on this site and thought I'd give them a try. I put everything on a laptop to bring with me so I could play with out the mouse issue, but I forgot to bring the laptop. I had left it turned on, so I remoted in so I can at least get everything installed and set up. After testing that QFG1 worked, guess what? THE MOUSE MOVED PERFECTLY!!! Thinking that maybe it was just the game and not the installer, I tried running QFG from DOSBox directly, and the mouse did NOT move correctly. So something about the installer FIXES the issue I thought was unfixable!! I noticed that it did disable capture mouse in DOSBox. I tried that directly in DOSBox, but that didn't fix the issue.

So I'd REALLY love to know how the installer fixes it so I can fix it on my other game(Advanced Civilization - NOT the Sid Meier one FYI). Is it something with the installer or does the installer set something in DOSBox that I haven't been able to figure out yet? Perhaps I can get in touch with the person who made the installers so they can either help me make one for game I'm trying to fix or maybe even just make it for me? Thank you so much for restoring hope this issue can be fixed!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: working remote mouse with DOSBox using installers. HOW?

Post by Collector »

I am not sure what the difference might be. You can look at the dosbox.conf in the HQ folder to see the settings it uses. These are the only settings that differ from default. The autolock is the only setting related to the mouse, though. The only other thing that I can think of is that HQ is a VGA game and Advanced Civilization from 1995 is probably a VESA game. Some VESA games can have odd mouse behavior with autolock off. If Qbix sees this he may have some additional thoughts.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

which output are you using ? (try surface if you didn't)
puttwill
Noob

Post by puttwill »

I swear I tried Autolock and it didn't work, but i just retried it on QFG1 and Advance Civ and the mouse works just fine. Thanks!

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”