QFG Map in my QFGIV Box.

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

QFG Map in my QFGIV Box.

Post by Tawmis »

So - there I am (still scanning, yes) - and I found this map in my Quest for Glory IV box... which clearly isn't a Quest for Glory IV map.

Looks like a Quest for Glory 1 map - but it seems off from that - so maybe Quest for Glory III?

I don't remember some of the things on the map that I drew, nor do I recognize whatever notes I have on it...
Attachments
Map_in_QFGIV_Tawmis.png
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Re: QFG Map in my QFGIV Box.

Post by goatmeal »

Looks like the QFG4 map to me, as do all of your notes & markings...
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Yep
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

And here is my old map, made using the GEM DRAW app for GEM 3.13 for DOS:

(I still have the orginal GEM DRAW files for QFG1, QFG2, and QFG4, rescued from oblivion thanks to DOSBox)

JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

Yeah that's 100% QFG4.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Awesome! I really don't remember a Erana's Peace in QFGIV.

I clearly need to replay the QFG games sometime. :D
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Collector wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:08 pm Erana's Garden, not peace. http://www.sierrahelp.com/Assets/Music/EranasGarden.mp3
Yep. (Have that on my map, too!) :)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

If you cannot recognize the map and don't remember Erana's Garden it may be time for a replay of one of the very best Sierra games. It will be as close to playing it for the first time as you can get.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:08 pm Erana's Garden, not peace. http://www.sierrahelp.com/Assets/Music/EranasGarden.mp3
Well apparently I wrote it as "Erna's Place" on the map. :lol:
So I got her name and the fact that it's a Garden wrong during my map making days.
Collector wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:12 pm If you cannot recognize the map and don't remember Erana's Garden it may be time for a replay of one of the very best Sierra games. It will be as close to playing it for the first time as you can get.
I actually do plan to play the QFG games for the Let's Play channel thingie (I spontaneously do from time to time). I still have LSL6 and 7 to play (did all the KQ, except MoE).
Next I was going to do PQ or SQ (probably PQ, then SQ).
Then it would be QfG then GK.
Then not sure which game I'd do after that. But wanted to do the "classics" first.

I look forward to QfG (except QfG2? With the city map thing?) - because honestly, there's a lot there I don't remember. (And I can't even remember ever playing QfGV, I am sure I have, since I have it, but I have zero memory of it). So I'd like to see if I can save my character and import them all the way through. (I've also never done the Paladin thing, and honestly, off the top of my head, not even sure how to unlock it - but I imagine, it's essentially doing all the "right" things).
goatmeal wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:38 am And here is my old map, made using the GEM DRAW app for GEM 3.13 for DOS:

(I still have the orginal GEM DRAW files for QFG1, QFG2, and QFG4, rescued from oblivion thanks to DOSBox)

This is incredible. I never heard of GEM DRAW. Everything was always graph paper.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Yes, as the others said - that's definitely QfG4. One of my favourite games! I still play it occasionally. :)

Erana's Garden will be useful to all classes, but you'll go there especially if you play a Wizard. (I won't say any more; I don't want to spoil it!) ;)
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Tawmis wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:14 pm This is incredible. I never heard of GEM DRAW. Everything was always graph paper.
GEM was awesome -- we had it on our first IBM Clone (sorry, showing my age) in the late 1980s as I was starting college.

Joining Microsoft and Apple in the mid-'80s GUI craze, Digital Research launched GEM ["Graphics Environment Manager"] for Atari ST computers, as well as a version that ran on top of DOS for IBM computers and PC clones.

It allowed for ease of copying, deleting, info/renaming, and launching files across one or two windows without having to type in the DOS commands, along with formatting floppy drives. They also had useful application software like GEM Paint and GEM Draw. Ventura Publisher was a stand-alone program that used a run-time version of GEM -- I used that program to make 'professional' printed covers for my cassette mix tapes.

You can grab the files here:
http://www.deltasoft.com/downloads-gemworld.htm

goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Tawmis wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:14 pm I look forward to QfG (except QfG2? With the city map thing?) - because honestly, there's a lot there I don't remember. (And I can't even remember ever playing QfGV, I am sure I have, since I have it, but I have zero memory of it). So I'd like to see if I can save my character and import them all the way through. (I've also never done the Paladin thing, and honestly, off the top of my head, not even sure how to unlock it - but I imagine, it's essentially doing all the "right" things).
And if you don't like the Shapeir street map section of QFG2, I'd recommend playing AGD Interactive's excellent VGA point-and-click remake. They have an option of simplifying the streets, taking you straight to the points of interest -- though you will miss the [non-essential] bits of graphical fluffery they added to make the city feel more vibrant and alive...
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Yes, goatmeal is right. AGD's VGA remake of QfG2 was fantastic. :) Even though I could simply teleport to the various plazas or other places, I roamed the streets and consulted my map, looking out for non-essential - but fun! - little bits. ;) (A thief climbing over a roof, silly clowns doing tricks, katta with stalls selling wares in the streets, etc.)

Return to “The Quest for Glory Series”