Post by Qbix »

Seems like remake of the original + expansion + "made easier"

by Triskell Interactive

Some info on dev page: http://triskell-interactive.com/standin ... of-giants/
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Pharaoh: A New Era

Post by Collector »

Somehow it doesn't seem right not having Impressions doing it, but then since they do not exist anymore... Can't say I like the cartoony art. Seems like the only ones doing more realistic art these days are the high end 3-D games
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

That cartoon style is straight up Disney. I am not sure it's part of the game though; I think it's just for the trailer.

Because the last 5 or so seconds of the video, appear to quickly show some game footage, which looks vastly different than the rest of that trailer.

As a side note, about cartoon vs realistic art... Cartoon is probably cheaper to do, than realistic. Because realistic they probably need to do rotoscoping and all that stuff, to make it look real, which means either real locations or real people, which means more money. The cartoon appeal may also attract a younger audience.
Qbix
DOSBox Author

Post by Qbix »

I kinda like the art style, but I agree with Tawmis that most of what is shown in this trailer is non-gameplay. The part at the end does look like that.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

So ... has anyone tried playing this? What did you think? ;)

I noticed this on sale at GOG recently.

Re: the art style ... the last few seconds of this seems to be right out of the Impressions Pharoah (maybe a call-out to the old one?), but of course it's impossible to judge from 2-3 seconds.

I tried replaying the old Impressions games (Pharoah, Zeus etc.) that I found on GOG, but things went by far too fast for me to be able to keep up. (Obviously hardware's become much faster since 1999). Technology marches on. :P
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:42 pm I tried replaying the old Impressions games (Pharoah, Zeus etc.) that I found on GOG, but things went by far too fast for me to be able to keep up. (Obviously hardware's become much faster since 1999). Technology marches on. :P
Do those games use DOSBox? If they do, you can adjust the cycles to slow it down.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:05 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:42 pm I tried replaying the old Impressions games (Pharoah, Zeus etc.) that I found on GOG, but things went by far too fast for me to be able to keep up. (Obviously hardware's become much faster since 1999). Technology marches on. :P
Do those games use DOSBox? If they do, you can adjust the cycles to slow it down.
Yes, they do use DOSBox. But again, I run into difficulties:

1. The games are on GOG. When I press play, they start in DOSBox.

I can, of course, find the executable files and run them under DOSBox rather than GOG; but is it possible to alter the way they run under GOG?

2. Speaking of which, how do I adjust the DOSBox cycles? I've no idea how it's done. *shrug*
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:38 am
Tawmis wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:05 pm
Yes, they do use DOSBox. But again, I run into difficulties:
1. The games are on GOG. When I press play, they start in DOSBox.
I can, of course, find the executable files and run them under DOSBox rather than GOG; but is it possible to alter the way they run under GOG?
2. Speaking of which, how do I adjust the DOSBox cycles? I've no idea how it's done. *shrug*
https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Performance

But mainly:
DOSBox wrote: You can force the slow or fast behavior by setting a fixed amount of cycles in the DOSBox's configuration file. If you for example set cycles=10000, then DOSBox window will display a line "Cpu Speed: fixed 10000 cycles" at the top. In this mode you can reduce the amount of cycles even more by hitting CTRL-F11 (you can go as low as you want) or raise it by hitting CTRL-F12 as much as you want, but you will be limited by the power of one core of your computer's CPU.

Return to “Pharaoh/Cleopatra”