Colossal Cave (was Ken & Roberta Game Announcement)

Nonspecific Sierra games or ones that do not have its own forum.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Re: Colossal Cave (was Ken & Roberta Game Announcement)

Post by notbobsmith »

Colossal Cave is featured on Game Grumps and they have Roberta Williams as a guest.

For those unfamiliar, it's a pretty good channel. Most of the stuff they do is for weird or bad games, but they do have a number of Sierra game playthroughs which is pretty uncommon for a channel as popular as they are. They also did a Sam & Max Hit the Road playthrough just a few weeks ago.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:29 am Colossal Cave is featured on Game Grumps and they have Roberta Williams as a guest.
Lemme know when she comes on the Let's Play Sierra Games channel. :lol:

Also - Colossal Cave on sale on Steam and more!

http://larrylaffer.net/archives/4349
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

No harm in inviting her! :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:04 pm No harm in inviting her! :)
:lol: If I had like 1000 subs on the channel, I would. But right now, I am at like 475. I wouldn't wanna waste their time, because having them on my channel would not benefit them (not a large enough audience), it might only really benefit me (people potentially subbing / viewing it just because Roberta Williams is on there).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm, I'm sure I replied to this last night. Perhaps I should be shocked that my reply is gone, but I'm not. ;) I took a good long time composing a thoughtful reply, so maybe by the time I pressed Submit, something happened. *shrug*
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Watch the chat channel for "Let's Play Sierra Games" - he sure is witty! :D

notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

So I finished playing it last week and I was a bit underwhelmed. I have never played the original, but I think the main problem is that it is very faithful to the source material. Many of the puzzles are either easy or are completely without any logic. Dwarves come out of nowhere and can randomly kill you. Sometimes, a tunnel will just loop back to where you started, even ones you've already mapped to a new room. The game just tells you to "keep trying". And that is the remedy. Just keep trying to enter the tunnel and eventually it will take you where you want to go. It serves no purpose except to frustrate the player. Again, I'm pretty sure these are all thing that appear in the original game before designers learned that these were bad ideas.

The graphics look 2005-ish. I'm usually fine with primitive graphics, but without gameplay to make up for it, you end up with a game that's dull to look at. I mean it doesn't need ray tracing or anything, and I am grateful that I can at least run the game, but some more detail would have been nice.

Unfortunately, I just don't think there's much of a game here.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:33 pm So I finished playing it last week and I was a bit underwhelmed. I have never played the original, but I think the main problem is that it is very faithful to the source material. Many of the puzzles are either easy or are completely without any logic. Dwarves come out of nowhere and can randomly kill you. Sometimes, a tunnel will just loop back to where you started, even ones you've already mapped to a new room. The game just tells you to "keep trying". And that is the remedy. Just keep trying to enter the tunnel and eventually it will take you where you want to go. It serves no purpose except to frustrate the player. Again, I'm pretty sure these are all thing that appear in the original game before designers learned that these were bad ideas.

The graphics look 2005-ish. I'm usually fine with primitive graphics, but without gameplay to make up for it, you end up with a game that's dull to look at. I mean it doesn't need ray tracing or anything, and I am grateful that I can at least run the game, but some more detail would have been nice.

It's very faithful to the original.
The graphics, I understand, considering the small team. I didn't mind it (not beat it yet - stopped after barely exploring. Want to do it for my channel).

Did ye beat it with full points?

Ken said if you do there's a special song at the end...?
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:26 pm
notbobsmith wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:33 pm So I finished playing it last week and I was a bit underwhelmed. I have never played the original, but I think the main problem is that it is very faithful to the source material. Many of the puzzles are either easy or are completely without any logic. Dwarves come out of nowhere and can randomly kill you. Sometimes, a tunnel will just loop back to where you started, even ones you've already mapped to a new room. The game just tells you to "keep trying". And that is the remedy. Just keep trying to enter the tunnel and eventually it will take you where you want to go. It serves no purpose except to frustrate the player. Again, I'm pretty sure these are all thing that appear in the original game before designers learned that these were bad ideas.

It's very faithful to the original.
The graphics, I understand, considering the small team. I didn't mind it (not beat it yet - stopped after barely exploring. Want to do it for my channel).

Did ye beat it with full points?

Ken said if you do there's a special song at the end...?
I did go back and beat it with full points using a guide. I didn't notice anything different with the ending. I even looked at playthroughs on Youtube and I don't see a difference.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Hrm - Odd -
Adventure Game Hotspot
Who else has finished CC with a full score?

LetsPlay SierraGames
Not yet. I have it and have played some - but saving the exploring too much - because I wanna do it for my channel.
Adventure Game Hotspot
Battle a dragon using only your bare hands?

Roberta Williams (Actually Ken Williams)
I have NOT finished with a full score. Did you see the ending scene? I'm surprised no one has noticed the music at the end? It's the theme to another show. I thought people might recognize
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:12 am Hrm - Odd -
Adventure Game Hotspot

LetsPlay SierraGames
Not yet. I have it and have played some - but saving the exploring too much - because I wanna do it for my channel.
Adventure Game Hotspot

I have NOT finished with a full score. Did you see the ending scene? I'm surprised no one has noticed the music at the end? It's the theme to another show. I thought people might recognize
Yeah, it's from Monty Python's Flying Circus. But it plays whether you get the full points or not.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:09 pm
Tawmis wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:12 am Hrm - Odd -
Adventure Game Hotspot

LetsPlay SierraGames
Adventure Game Hotspot

Yeah, it's from Monty Python's Flying Circus. But it plays whether you get the full points or not.
Ah, I read it as full points you hear it.

Return to “Other Sierra Games”