Police Quest 1 EGA Play Through.

Caught in your own cuffs? Need a hint? Or just want to talk about Police Quest - this is the place to do it!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Police Quest 1 EGA Play Through.

Post by Rath Darkblade »

No worries, done. :) All three bits are taken from Gilbert and Sullivan's light opera "The Mikado" (because it's in English, so it's easy to understand), and they're all about a minute or so.

Here are the words:

1. Tenor

Nanki-Poo: (a wandering singer, who sings for money)
A wandering minstrel I —
A thing of shreds and patches,
Of ballads, songs and snatches,
And dreamy lullaby!
My catalogue is long,
Through every passion ranging,
And to your humours changing
I tune my supple song!
I tune my supple song!
z_tenor.mp3
(860.47 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
2. Baritone

Ko-Ko: (imprisoned but freed, on the condition that he becomes the public executioner)
Taken from the county jail
By a set of curious chances;
Liberated then on bail,
On my own recognizances;
Wafted by a favouring gale
As one sometimes is in trances,
To a height that few can scale,
Save by long and weary dances;
Surely, never had a male
Under such like circumstances
So adventurous a tale,
Which may rank with most romances.
z_baritone.mp3
(679.99 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
3. Bass

The Mikado: (thinks that he is liberal, but his punishments are very harsh)
A more humane Mikado never
Did in Japan exist,
To nobody second,
I'm certainly reckoned
A true philanthropist.
It is my very humane endeavour
To make, to some extent,
Each evil liver
A running river
Of harmless merriment.

My object all sublime
I shall achieve in time —
To let the punishment fit the crime —
The punishment fit the crime;
And make each prisoner pent
Unwillingly represent
A source of innocent merriment!
Of innocent merriment!
z_bass.mp3
(820.47 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
=====================
I don't have a musical instrument (e.g. piano or guitar), so I had to make do. Enjoy. :)
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm NBH? How on earth did you get 249 points, when the highest score is 245? *shrug*
Not sure. For whatever reason, they add up to more that what is supposed to be possible.
Tawmis wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:46 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm :lol: Pull the drunk guy over next to a park ... and when you get out of your car, it's a couple of houses. *shrug*
I thought that was weird. :D
There are three screens for traffic stops depending on where you stop (commercial or residential): the disco, the two houses and the beach. The beach only shows up if you stop on the uppermost street OR on the right most street. So if you think houses by the park is strange, how about the river turning into an ocean. :)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm
I agree with you - I don't know many cops, but I can't imagine many beat cops would own a corvette. Maybe it was a present from Sonny's parents when he graduated from the police academy? (Oh, great -- now I can't stop picturing those stupid movies. "MAHONEY!") :roll:
Well, he has been on the force for 15 years and not married at this point (i.e. no kids). Maybe he splurged on it. He could have taken out a loan too and be in debt. Lots of people spend beyond their means and live paycheck to paycheck. At least in the US.
Why does the nightstick have to stay in the car? *puzzled*
I wonder if it's to make sure that you don't have it with you later on. Like when you go to the hotel and get frisked. PQ is pretty realistic with inventory. Most things are on your belt and you're not carrying around 100 pounds of stuff like in most other adventures.
:lol: I love it how the game lets you say that you're bringing in the drug-dealers for drugs. :lol: Then the clerk says ... "All right, put 'em in the slammer, I'll get you the codeine" (or whatever). ;)
The jailer will repeat whatever you say. I actually typed in "dRuGs" once and the Jailer said "Okay, dRuGs will do." :)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm Setting up the sting ... what. :shock: Marie shouldn't even be party to any of the details of this. No civilian should. If any bad guys capture her and decide to "persuade" her to talk (as they do with brass knuckles and so on), it'd blow the whole operation. :|
The police use informants like this all the time. Introducing an undercover cop to associates, providing information, etc. There's the case of White Boy Rick. He was 14 when police started using him.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm Hmm .. can Sonny use the hotel phone to call 911? Just wondering. ;)
You can and there's a response, but I forget what it is exactly. I think the game just says "You don't have an emergency at this time" or something.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:35 am
Tawmis wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:46 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm Hmm .. can Sonny use the hotel phone to call 911? Just wondering. ;) Oh, and you mentioned you missed 20 points ... I think one of the things you missed was to call Jack and express your condolences because his daughter passed away.
Where do you get the phone number for that? Do they ever say his last name?
I can't remember if they say his last name. But when you're a detective, you can use the station computer to look up his file. His number is there. Just call the number from the office phone, and Sonny does the rest.
His name is Jack Cobb and you can use 411 to get his number.

A couple of other points that were missed:
You can look at the gun during the Hoffman arrest
You can look at the door to see the VIN number. It's the stolen Caddie from the very beginning that was repainted from black to blue.
Write a note in the note book. It can be anything. This is actually where I got my avatar. Ctrl-A and Ctrl-B make happy faces in the notebook.
Use the gun's serial number to get the phone number of a detective in Chicago. He'll fill you in on Taselli and Bains.
Look at the gun in evidence. It will have the name of a detective. You can call him to confirm the prints for Hoffman match Taselli. I think this might be why I never saw the memo in the basket. Maybe if you do these to it doesn't show up? I have to try this soon.

This is all that comes to mind.

It's kind of fun seeing someone else play PQ1 since I played it so many times myself.

Things that I noticed:
You don't actually have to type "check car" when walking around the car. Just getting near all 4 tires is enough. I've never actually typed this and did not know there was a response.
After the Simms and Colby arrest, you leave your gun in the jail locker. Fortunately, you don't need it anymore. But when you change in the locker, the belt and holster doesn't appear. Because it doesn't appear, you still will have your handcuffs with you.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:27 pm No worries, done. :) All three bits are taken from Gilbert and Sullivan's light opera "The Mikado" (because it's in English, so it's easy to understand), and they're all about a minute or so.
1. Tenor
2. Baritone
3. Bass
Your tenor and baritone sound pretty similar (as in, telling it's YOUR VOICE I mean). Your bass one sounds, pretty good in terms of sounding different - until you enunciate some of the words at the end of each line; you can hear it's "you" again in a way.

But overall very impressive to do that musically/poetically.

I can just scare people on Halloween with my voice dropping to that demonic sound. :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:47 pm Things that I noticed:
You don't actually have to type "check car" when walking around the car. Just getting near all 4 tires is enough. I've never actually typed this and did not know there was a response.
After the Simms and Colby arrest, you leave your gun in the jail locker. Fortunately, you don't need it anymore. But when you change in the locker, the belt and holster doesn't appear. Because it doesn't appear, you still will have your handcuffs with you.
WHAT? You don't have to type "check car" or "investigate car"... I've always done that.
Since Day 1 because the manual is like, "Always check your car to ensure it's in good condition."
OK, well that means walking around and typing "look car" or "check car."

And did I really forget to get my gun after the Simms and Colby arrest?!? Hilarious. I didn't realize; I totally thought I remembered to get my gun from the locker each time.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:55 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:27 pm No worries, done. :) All three bits are taken from Gilbert and Sullivan's light opera "The Mikado" (because it's in English, so it's easy to understand), and they're all about a minute or so.
1. Tenor
2. Baritone
3. Bass
Your tenor and baritone sound pretty similar (as in, telling it's YOUR VOICE I mean). Your bass one sounds, pretty good in terms of sounding different - until you enunciate some of the words at the end of each line; you can hear it's "you" again in a way.

But overall very impressive to do that musically/poetically.

I can just scare people on Halloween with my voice dropping to that demonic sound. :D
OK... thanks, Tawm. :) I started out in baritone territory and sang either baritone or bass for nearly 7 years. Then I was asked to stretch into tenor - not quite high-tenor, but a few notes above baritone. Fine ... I still can't "stretch" into the huge, glorious tenor of people like Bocelli or Pavarotti (nor do I want to). :lol: I suppose "high-baritone" would be the term for it - Figaro would be a good example.

I always try to enunciate every syllable, but at the start and end of each line, I pull back on the volume a little or it can sound harsh. ;) Glad it sounded impressive! I've been trying for years to get it right. :) I guess if I wanted to, I could use my bass for things like Poe, and my higher baritone for lighter stuff (Oscar Wilde, maybe). ;)

How do you do that demonic sound? *curious* I like it, but I sure wasn't expecting it. :lol:
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

notbobsmith wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:47 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm Why does the nightstick have to stay in the car? *puzzled*
I wonder if it's to make sure that you don't have it with you later on. Like when you go to the hotel and get frisked. PQ is pretty realistic with inventory. Most things are on your belt and you're not carrying around 100 pounds of stuff like in most other adventures.
Ah, yes. (The Gigantic Gulp in LSL2 comes to mind). ;) That would break the fourth wall in the PQ series.
Tawmis wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:57 pm
notbobsmith wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:47 pm Things that I noticed:
WHAT? You don't have to type "check car" or "investigate car"... I've always done that.
Since Day 1 because the manual is like, "Always check your car to ensure it's in good condition."
OK, well that means walking around and typing "look car" or "check car."

And did I really forget to get my gun after the Simms and Colby arrest?!? Hilarious. I didn't realize; I totally thought I remembered to get my gun from the locker each time.
:lol: Whoops! Just as well Sonny didn't need the gun after the Simms/Colby arrest. :)
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

I agree with you - I don't know many cops, but I can't imagine many beat cops would own a corvette. Maybe it was a present from Sonny's parents when he graduated from the police academy? (Oh, great -- now I can't stop picturing those stupid movies. "MAHONEY!") :roll:
Well, he has been on the force for 15 years and not married at this point (i.e. no kids). Maybe he splurged on it. He could have taken out a loan too and be in debt. Lots of people spend beyond their means and live paycheck to paycheck. At least in the US.
And it wouldn't be very fitting to have a cool, awesome protagonist driving around in a beat-up Ford Pinto or Chevrolet Chevette like some poor schlub. (Unless it's fitting for the character's nature, like Ace Ventura.)

"Hero" protagonists on American television shows drive cool "classic" cars, even if it isn't practical or doesn't make any sense:

They are "cool" and aspirational figures by definition; therefore, their rides must be equally "cool" and desirable to reflect that...
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:29 am How do you do that demonic sound? *curious* I like it, but I sure wasn't expecting it. :lol:
I don't have any means of professional training... as to how to describe it. But I push air from my lungs, and - similar to how, a person might imitate a big dog growl, I simply talk while doing that - so it's guttural and from the back of my throat.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:34 am
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm Why does the nightstick have to stay in the car? *puzzled*
Ah, yes. (The Gigantic Gulp in LSL2 comes to mind). ;) That would break the fourth wall in the PQ series.
One of my favorite Sierra moments, actually (The Big Gulp thing in LSL2). Just totally unexpected when I first saw it and me and my friend (then) Shawn just couldn't stop laughing at how great the visual was.
goatmeal wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:24 am
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm I agree with you - I don't know many cops, but I can't imagine many beat cops would own a corvette. Maybe it was a present from Sonny's parents when he graduated from the police academy? (Oh, great -- now I can't stop picturing those stupid movies. "MAHONEY!") :roll:
And it wouldn't be very fitting to have a cool, awesome protagonist driving around in a beat-up Ford Pinto or Chevrolet Chevette like some poor schlub. (Unless it's fitting for the character's nature, like Ace Ventura.)
"Hero" protagonists on American television shows drive cool "classic" cars, even if it isn't practical or doesn't make any sense:
They are "cool" and aspirational figures by definition; therefore, their rides must be equally "cool" and desirable to reflect that...
While true, about TV shows; I felt PQ seemed to keep closer to reality.
Now that said, ironically, the comic shop I used to go to (I don't collect comics these days anymore) is run by a retired officer, who - ironically, has a red Corvette, I realized after posting about this.
(But it looks new... so clearly not from his days as an officer... but probably from the money he's made from his comic shop, as it's probably one of the best ones in San Diego).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

goatmeal wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:24 am ...it wouldn't be very fitting to have a cool, awesome protagonist driving around in a beat-up Ford Pinto...[/i]
How about a Ford Edsel? :lol:

Funnily enough, I found someone selling their Edsel, somewhere in Australia. Here is what it looks like. The price is AUD $62,000 (about USD $45,000).

I wouldn't wish a Ford Pinto on anyone. I've never driven one, but from what I've read, it seems they would spontaneously burst into flames. :shock:

Return to “The Police Quest Series”