Police Quest 3 Play Through.

Caught in your own cuffs? Need a hint? Or just want to talk about Police Quest - this is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Police Quest 3 Play Through.

Post by Tawmis »

So. I started Police Quest III.

And have restarted and deleted my recorded footage three times.

I remember recently discussing how much I loved PQ3.

How could it be possible they had the PERFECT driving system in PQ2 - that somehow, in PQ3 - they made it worse than PQ1?

Also - I HATE HATE HATE that it's point and click. Because there's the guy at the park you deal with - and where the first two games emphasized reading people their rights. That doesn't seem to happen in PQ3.

But hey, at least you don't need to check the cop car or unlock the door THEN go in...

One step forward, fifteen backwards.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Police Quest 3 Play Through.

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:30 am I remember recently discussing how much I loved PQ3.

How could it be possible they had the PERFECT driving system in PQ2 - that somehow, in PQ3 - they made it worse than PQ1?
The driving in PQ3 is seriously messed up. The only way to understand it is to watch the map AND the driving screen at the same time ... and to slow down to a crawl before you turn, a traffic light (whether green or red), or park.
Tawmis wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:30 am Also - I HATE HATE HATE that it's point and click. Because there's the guy at the park you deal with - and where the first two games emphasized reading people their rights. That doesn't seem to happen in PQ3.
:lol: I remember that guy. I know some guys (and women) go crazy and do this sort of stuff. But I thought Florida was (in)famous for it? Hence the term "Florida Man".

Also, isn't Colorado also (in)famous for this? Because marijuana is legal there?

I presume it happens in California (where Lytton is) too, I guess? I suppose crazy people happen anywhere. There doesn't have to be a special reason for it... :|
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:30 am So. I started Police Quest III.

And have restarted and deleted my recorded footage three times.

I remember recently discussing how much I loved PQ3.

Also - I HATE HATE HATE that it's point and click. Because there's the guy at the park you deal with - and where the first two games emphasized reading people their rights. That doesn't seem to happen in PQ3.

But hey, at least you don't need to check the cop car or unlock the door THEN go in...

One step forward, fifteen backwards.
Because PQ2 didn't have a driving system. :)

I also hated PQ3 system. The other thing that bothered me was the inconsistent way is handled driving to locations. Some places had driveways, others you just stopped on the side of the road. The first time I played, I kept driving around the park over and over trying to find the entrance. And when you can't "cheat" like in PQ1 (i.e. drive backwards) that takes forever.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:30 pm Because PQ2 didn't have a driving system. :)
I also hated PQ3 system. The other thing that bothered me was the inconsistent way is handled driving to locations. Some places had driveways, others you just stopped on the side of the road. The first time I played, I kept driving around the park over and over trying to find the entrance. And when you can't "cheat" like in PQ1 (i.e. drive backwards) that takes forever.
Well, PQ2 had the RIGHT driving system. You tell it where to go. It goes. And sometimes on your way to somewhere - you get directed to go somewhere else - so you have to type to go there instead.
Perfect.

PQ3, as you said - for those reasons is horrible. And I also feel like I am driving blind having the limited top view - rather than either a WHOLE view (PQ1) or a FRONT view (PQ2).

And I am not kidding - I have, about an hour of footage - of me driving in circles around Aspen Falls.

I have deleted the footage recorded so far three times.

THREE times.

Because, while I normally like to show the pain the arse portions of a game.

An hour of driving in circles with the game reminding you "You should probably take care of that Aspen Falls call" is EXCESSIVE.

It's interesting how my memory of this game was that it was my favorite of the PQ series.

And that is clearly not the case (anymore). :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

...... I can remember that I could only get through PQ3 by following a walkthrough (exactly because of that). That's not much fun. :(

However, most walkthroughs these days include a map of Lytton. :) Tawm, the original PQ3 game includes a map (or "Street Grid", as they call it). Tawm, does the street grid help at all?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:31 am Tawm, the original PQ3 game includes a map (or "Street Grid", as they call it). Tawm, does the street grid help at all?
Yup. When I scanned all my disks and stuff in the Sierra boxes; I have the map up on my 2nd screen. However, I forgot this was in the cop car - which has helped -
Attachments
PQ3.png
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

So I don't want to look at a walk through to figure this out and accidentally see too much - but...

I just pulled over the guy going too slow on the freeway.

And got his license - threw into the machine thing - it's asking for the time.

Now. Sonny isn't wearing a watch. I tried clicking the eye on the dashboard thing above the license slot. No good.

So I am not sure how to properly check the time?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:47 pm So I don't want to look at a walk through to figure this out and accidentally see too much - but...
I just pulled over the guy going too slow on the freeway.
And got his license - threw into the machine thing - it's asking for the time.
Now. Sonny isn't wearing a watch. I tried clicking the eye on the dashboard thing above the license slot. No good.
So I am not sure how to properly check the time?
Restored and figured it out. Very briefly.
Shows at the top. Sucks that there's no way to check the time again.
Tried getting in and out of the car. Nope.
Just need to make sure you catch it that first time or you're SOL.
Attachments
PQtime.png
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Yeah. I guess the programmers thought (like Nelson from the Simpsons): "Ha ha! This stuff ain't standing still, ya know!" :P

Kind of odd that there's no clock in the car, though. All cars have clocks nowadays.

BTW: I like the flames on the car. Very 90s. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:04 pm Yeah. I guess the programmers thought (like Nelson from the Simpsons): "Ha ha! This stuff ain't standing still, ya know!" :P
Kind of odd that there's no clock in the car, though. All cars have clocks nowadays.
BTW: I like the flames on the car. Very 90s. ;)
Yeah the lack of being able to check the time is idiotic. Every cop needs that - to write tickets.

And what if I spend 10 minutes out of the car. Now the time stamp is technically not correct.

And what I actually really appreciate about the graphics and that car - is it's a low rider (although the drive looks like a heavier white guy than a Latino of any sort; but the dialogue is very Latino sounding) - anyway - the fact that they're "bumping" a radio - and you see the windows "shaking" on the car. Very nice touch.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:39 pm And what I actually really appreciate about the graphics and that car - is it's a low rider (although the drive looks like a heavier white guy than a Latino of any sort; but the dialogue is very Latino sounding) - anyway - the fact that they're "bumping" a radio - and you see the windows "shaking" on the car. Very nice touch.
They see me rollin'... ;)

...my Segway :P
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:40 pm
Tawmis wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:39 pm And what I actually really appreciate about the graphics and that car - is it's a low rider (although the drive looks like a heavier white guy than a Latino of any sort; but the dialogue is very Latino sounding) - anyway - the fact that they're "bumping" a radio - and you see the windows "shaking" on the car. Very nice touch.
They see me rollin'... ;)

...my Segway :P
Such a great song!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Now that I am on Day 2... wait... now Day 3... wait... now Day 4.... NOW I remember why I enjoy this game.

It's just Day 1 of the game that's horrid. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

OK, I'll bite. Why is Day 1 so horrid, Tawm? ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:49 am OK, I'll bite. Why is Day 1 so horrid, Tawm? ;)
You're a highway patrol cop (so driving around - a lot - in the cop car doing different stuff).

VS - Day 2, Day 3 (I'm on Day 4 at the moment) - it's pretty much drive to TWO places and the day is over.

Return to “The Police Quest Series”