Police Quest 3 Play Through.

Caught in your own cuffs? Need a hint? Or just want to talk about Police Quest - this is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Police Quest 3 Play Through.

Post by Tawmis »

Well, I finished PQ3. But wouldn't say I beat it. Got the depressing ending where Marie doesn't come out of the coma. Which is weird, because the last time I saw her, she'd opened her eyes and everything.

So I missed SOMETHING.

But moving on. :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

My drawn map I used to make my life easier! OHH AND AHH at my map skills! :D
Attachments
MyPQ3DrawMap.png
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

So I began wondering if I hit a bug in regard to this...
Tawmis wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:15 pm Well, I finished PQ3. But wouldn't say I beat it. Got the depressing ending where Marie doesn't come out of the coma. Which is weird, because the last time I saw her, she'd opened her eyes and everything.
So I missed SOMETHING.
So I feel like I did everything...

- Visit Marie daily
- Got her a Rose
- Twice, actually
- Got the music box
- Got the necklace
- Talked to her daily
- Kiss her daily
- Fixed her IV dosage

Which - I can't think of what I missed.

So I started googling PQ3 bugs.

And found a devastating and idiotic one (unrelated).

But on Day 1 - the slow driver.

If you never bust him/give him a ticket - the Courthouse never becomes available.

WTF?

How is that logical? Sonny would know - and HAS BEEN to the courthouse - undoubtedly MANY times before in his career.

As a matter of fact - HE GOES THERE IN PQ2.

How is it logical that the Courthouse becomes "locked" if you miss this ticket incident?

If that's the case, Day 1 should NOT end until this guy is given a ticket.

This results in day 6 - at the end when you go to the "crack house" - you can't get a warrant.

Ridiculous.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:50 pm

So I feel like I did everything...

- Visit Marie daily
- Got her a Rose
- Twice, actually
- Got the music box
- Got the necklace
- Talked to her daily
- Kiss her daily
- Fixed her IV dosage

Seems like you got everything. I know I've seen other people have posted here with a similar problem, but I don't know what the problem could be. Two roses? Maybe that caused a glitch.
Tawmis wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:50 pm So I started googling PQ3 bugs.

If you never bust him/give him a ticket - the Courthouse never becomes available.

WTF?

How is that logical? Sonny would know - and HAS BEEN to the courthouse - undoubtedly MANY times before in his career.

How is it logical that the Courthouse becomes "locked" if you miss this ticket incident?

This results in day 6 - at the end when you go to the "crack house" - you can't get a warrant.

Ridiculous.
This can't be true. The very first time I played, I didn't make any of the traffic stops. I was still summoned to court for the slow driver. At the time, I found it odd that I never met the guy before.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:35 pm
Tawmis wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:50 pm So I feel like I did everything...
- Visit Marie daily
- Got her a Rose
- Twice, actually
- Got the music box
- Got the necklace
- Talked to her daily
- Kiss her daily
- Fixed her IV dosage
Seems like you got everything. I know I've seen other people have posted here with a similar problem, but I don't know what the problem could be. Two roses? Maybe that caused a glitch.
Seemed logical to get two. Fresh one, ya know?
Looking at a walk thru -
The guy who is speeding - who you pull over and happens to be an undercover cop.
As I was trying to catch up - it just says they got away.
This person seems to have had the same issue as me -
https://www.gog.com/forum/police_quest_ ... t_3_ending
notbobsmith wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:35 pm
Tawmis wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:50 pm So I started googling PQ3 bugs.
WTF?
Ridiculous.
This can't be true. The very first time I played, I didn't make any of the traffic stops. I was still summoned to court for the slow driver. At the time, I found it odd that I never met the guy before.
Several people reporting it here -
https://www.gog.com/forum/police_quest_ ... 6_spoilers
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Game play is rendering now - coming in just a hair over 5 hours total.

(This is excluding my first three attempts where I literally drove in a circle trying to find a drive way entrance to Aspen Falls....)

As NBH said - the inconsistency of "drive ways / entrances" for big areas was annoying (Aspen Falls, Courthouse, Coroner, etc).
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:02 am
Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:49 am OK, I'll bite. Why is Day 1 so horrid, Tawm? ;)
You're a highway patrol cop (so driving around - a lot - in the cop car doing different stuff).

VS - Day 2, Day 3 (I'm on Day 4 at the moment) - it's pretty much drive to TWO places and the day is over.
Oh? So ... what's so bad about that? *shrug* I mean ... in PQ1, you drive around a lot in the cop car and do different stuff too. :)

I think PQ1 has sort-of "days" as well, even if they're not formally shown as "days". For example:

Day 1: from start until Jack's birthday (when he breaks down and cries). Then you have to go back to the station for another shift.
Day 2: from start of second shift ("YOU'RE LATE, BONDS!") to your promotion to detective.
Day 3: from promotion to detective until the end.

How does that sound? Logically, dividing PQ1 like that makes sense to me (even if the game doesn't say "Day 1", "Day 2" etc.) :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:03 am
Tawmis wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:02 am
Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:49 am OK, I'll bite. Why is Day 1 so horrid, Tawm? ;)
You're a highway patrol cop (so driving around - a lot - in the cop car doing different stuff).
VS - Day 2, Day 3 (I'm on Day 4 at the moment) - it's pretty much drive to TWO places and the day is over.
Oh? So ... what's so bad about that? *shrug* I mean ... in PQ1, you drive around a lot in the cop car and do different stuff too. :)
I think PQ1 has sort-of "days" as well, even if they're not formally shown as "days". For example:
Day 1: from start until Jack's birthday (when he breaks down and cries). Then you have to go back to the station for another shift.
Day 2: from start of second shift ("YOU'RE LATE, BONDS!") to your promotion to detective.
Day 3: from promotion to detective until the end.
How does that sound? Logically, dividing PQ1 like that makes sense to me (even if the game doesn't say "Day 1", "Day 2" etc.) :)
In PQ3 - the days (and thus the driving) are MUCH, MUCH shorter.
Day 1 you're driving around a lot using a horrid interface.
Day 2, you finish helping traffic duty - and the driving is greatly reduced. And sometimes, just automatic. (Like when your partner wants to go to the mall, or when you automatically drive to the hospital).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Non Commentary version (just over 5 hours long! Urmph!) - as of right now Youtube is still processing the HD version - but ideally should be done soon. :D

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rendering PQ3 Commentary version. I had fun discussing this game.

Once it renders, I will upload it.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Police Quest 3 commentary version!

notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:04 pm Several people reporting it here -
Strange. I should have encountered this the first time I played. I would have remembered having to start over because of this. There is one other bug I do remember where the game would lock up when speaking to the judge when getting the warrant. I'm not sure what exactly causes this, but it has something to do with the evidence you show her. If you book certain items at the police station and they are not in your inventory, it causes the lock-up.
Tawmis wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:04 pm Looking at a walk thru -
The guy who is speeding - who you pull over and happens to be an undercover cop.
This was a very annoying one. The only way to figure out he's an undercover cop is look at the plate (use Eye on the car) and then use the computer... while driving. When you turn the emergency lights on and off again, the game says something like "You let you fellow officer do his job."
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:21 pm
Tawmis wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:04 pm Several people reporting it here -
Strange. I should have encountered this the first time I played. I would have remembered having to start over because of this. There is one other bug I do remember where the game would lock up when speaking to the judge when getting the warrant. I'm not sure what exactly causes this, but it has something to do with the evidence you show her. If you book certain items at the police station and they are not in your inventory, it causes the lock-up.
I got a lock up in the game when I was in the coroner's room - and before the coroner had arrived I opened (what happened to be Andrew Dent's body storage) - and when the coroner came in - he image was below the foot with the tag - and it got stuck.

So I had to quit, and restore.
notbobsmith wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:21 pm
Tawmis wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:04 pm Looking at a walk thru -
This was a very annoying one. The only way to figure out he's an undercover cop is look at the plate (use Eye on the car) and then use the computer... while driving. When you turn the emergency lights on and off again, the game says something like "You let you fellow officer do his job."
Yeah - in my prior 2 or 3 plays before I just said screw it and recorded all over again - I had pulled him over (no need to look at the license plate, he was speeding). And he quickly gets out of the car and flashes something - which, it says you can't see - and I mean - a guy, flashes something, rapidly approaches you when you get out of the car - instinct is to shoot him (as it may be a gun he's getting and rushing you with). But apparently its his badge and he says he's undercover and curses that the perp he was following may have gotten away.

But on the play through where I had recorded and just kept going - he actually "get away" - which he does so VERY quickly. Like I was speeding after him...
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

... and share the video - because (ta-da) sharing is caring ... ;)

Morales, like Keith, is not all that useful. You got that right! :)

By the way, the computer guy (e.g. 3:24) ... does he remind you of anyone in "Jones in the Fast Lane"? I thought he reminded me of someone. Maybe I'm wrong.

Er ... Don't go into the women's change-room as that could be a game-changer for you in a bad way? Why, what happens? I tried this, and all that happened was that I got told off. ;) I don't think I even lost any points. What happens?

LOL!!! Why would you put a wet and nearly naked dude in the backseat? And why would you run his ID against a computer? No, the safest thing to do is throw his keys in the water and put him in the front seat. Yes, totally safe. He doesn't even have to wear a seatbelt. :P

(Then again, this was made in 1991, before the Rodney King Trial or the L.A. Riots or any of that. Maybe things were different then? Remember, this is the era where attitudes of people like Darryl Gates were considered normal). :roll:

Er ... by the way, when you book the druggie into jail and search him and find a knife on him... um. how the *BLEEP* did he have a knife? Or do I not want to know? :roll:

Also, since Sonny no longer has a badge, does that mean nothing he does is legal? :P

As for Sonny walking up to the driver's side and getting run over ... I agree. If you walk in front of the car that you just stopped, how do you know who's driving that car? He could be a maniac. He could just take off and run you over. :shock: So, yeah.

You mentioned that the time/clock-in-the-car thing makes no sense. That's true - but so does taking the cuffs off people in jail before searching them. I mean, that drugged-out person with a knife, for instance ... if you took the cuffs off him, he could just say "Let me rub some life back into my wrists" and then PULL OUT THE KNIFE AND STAB SONNY. :shock: Or, a very slightly less extreme example ... the drunk guy. If he's that drunk, there's no way I'd put him in the front of the police car. He would puke everywhere! :shock: He would puke on Sonny! :shock:

:lol: Just before 18:19 ... "Someone out there picked the wrong guy to mess with." Why is Sonny suddenly being touted as an action hero? Reminds me of Rambo etc. ;)

When the reporter shows up (18:25), Sonny calls him a "blood-sucking piece of filth". Wonderful. Way to make friends and influence people, Sonny. You just threatened a civilian, which is illegal. ;)

Besides, I don't think it's the job of any anonymous sergeant to talk to the media. He could lose his job. :shock: There's a specific department in the police whose job it is to prepare media statements etc., right? I can't remember what it's called, though.

"Take this goddamn medallion..." This guy doesn't care. :lol: Yes, the jailor is there only to book people into jail. ;)

*whisper* "Spoiler alert: That's the door you have to go through to book evidence!" :lol:

Gee, how many 6 x 1 1/2" daggers are there? :lol:

Yes, I prefer Keith to Pat. I also prefer PQ2 to PQ3, and PQ1 to PQ2.

Yes, it is weird that Sonny only has $10 to his name. What did he spend all his money on??? :shock: He's a detective. Doesn't he get paid?

Sonny, I'd like to introduce you to my friend, Mr Budget. :P

Yep, that "keeping the cart safe by handcuffing it" thing is weird. If anyone happened by with a pair of bolt cutters, they could take off with the cart AND Sonny's cuffs. ;) After all, it's an industrial estate. Someone is bound to have a pair of bolt cutters. ;)

OK, we're back. After all the fuss over her cart, Carla wanders off without it. WTH? :lol: And yes, remember your cuffs. 'Cos if you don't ... you can't get another pair of cuffs. And being a police officer, you probably need your cuffs. (Seems obvious, no?) :lol:

And yes, it's true that Sonny does some things that are ... um, questionablewith Pat's stuff. Didn't his mum teach him not to touch other people's junk? (Sorry, that was Oghren). "No-one touches my junk and lives!" :P

:lol: I haven't met any Mexican-Americans, but I agree with you, Tawm. Mr Ruiz (with the black car and the flames coming out of it - very early 90s) looks white. Maybe he's a poseur who just changed his name on purpose so he could fit in with the "bad boys"? :roll:

What happens if you don't return Pat's keys in time? Is it game over? *curious*

It's too bad there's no navy recruitment place in the mall. I'd love Sonny to walk in there and see a policeman, a cowboy, a biker, a sailor, a construction worker and an Indian Chief singing about how life is wonderful in the navy. Then Sonny would look confused, walk out, and mutter about how he's never coming back ... because the navy is too silly. :P

Oh dear. (About 37:20 or so). "Click on his pants". In the game, you just get the dead guy's ID, but I can just imagine some people thinking naughty thoughts. :roll: No, it's not that kind of game. :P

:lol: Why are your partners completely useless? Because Sierra said so, that's why. ;) I agree. If it wasn't for Sonny, nothing would ever get done. It's The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything. (Warning -- Do Not Click TV Tropes Links) :P

Um, it's 39:29 (end of day 4). Why is Pat coming with you to the hospital?

:lol: How did Pat get as far as she had in the Police Department, with her psychological record? I agree, a desk job would've been a good idea. That way, Pat would've been bored to sleep and then fired for sleeping on the job. :P

Thank, Tawm! It's ben fun. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am ... and share the video - because (ta-da) sharing is caring ... ;)
Gotta try to get more subscribers! :D
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am Morales, like Keith, is not all that useful. You got that right! :)
Yeah you don't even need spoiler tags for that! :D
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am By the way, the computer guy (e.g. 3:24) ... does he remind you of anyone in "Jones in the Fast Lane"? I thought he reminded me of someone. Maybe I'm wrong.
Could be? I've never beat JitFL as far as I remember.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am Er ... Don't go into the women's change-room as that could be a game-changer for you in a bad way? Why, what happens? I tried this, and all that happened was that I got told off. ;) I don't think I even lost any points. What happens?
I could have sworn you get talked to by the Captain?
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am LOL!!! Why would you put a wet and nearly naked dude in the backseat? And why would you run his ID against a computer? No, the safest thing to do is throw his keys in the water and put him in the front seat. Yes, totally safe. He doesn't even have to wear a seatbelt. :P
I think it mentions you securely fasten him (I am assuming they mean a seat belt - but would you reach in the car, in front of a lunatic who tried to attack you twice - and risk being bit?)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am Er ... by the way, when you book the druggie into jail and search him and find a knife on him... um. how the *BLEEP* did he have a knife? Or do I not want to know? :roll:
Clenched between his butt cheeks!
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am Also, since Sonny no longer has a badge, does that mean nothing he does is legal? :P
It mentions after his badge is thrown into the lake, he has an extra and puts it on right after that happens.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am :lol: Just before 18:19 ... "Someone out there picked the wrong guy to mess with." Why is Sonny suddenly being touted as an action hero? Reminds me of Rambo etc. ;)
All those quick promotions got to his head.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am "Take this goddamn medallion..." This guy doesn't care. :lol: Yes, the jailor is there only to book people into jail. ;)
*whisper* "Spoiler alert: That's the door you have to go through to book evidence!" :lol:
:lol:
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am Yes, it is weird that Sonny only has $10 to his name. What did he spend all his money on??? :shock: He's a detective. Doesn't he get paid?
And why is there no ATM that I can go to? :D
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am And yes, it's true that Sonny does some things that are ... um, questionablewith Pat's stuff. Didn't his mum teach him not to touch other people's junk? (Sorry, that was Oghren). "No-one touches my junk and lives!" :P
Yeah. Sonny exhibits some odd behavior for a cop of his rank.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am What happens if you don't return Pat's keys in time? Is it game over? *curious*
I believe so.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am Um, it's 39:29 (end of day 4). Why is Pat coming with you to the hospital?
To use the phone like she always does.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am Thank, Tawm! It's ben fun. :)
Thank you for watch and commenting. :)

Return to “The Police Quest Series”