Manhunter: New York Playthrough.

Checking MAD not giving you the answers you need, and you find yourself getting mad? Check here Manhunter, for more clues...
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Manhunter: New York Playthrough.

Post by Tawmis »

MH1Wall.png
I've decided to do Manhunter for my next play through. Since there's only two games - and I remember them being relatively short - though SO different than any other Sierra game.

I anticipate I will perish quite a few times, because I don't remember much of the puzzles.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Manhunter: New York Playthrough.

Post by Tawmis »

This is what I love.

Finding things that irritate the hell out of me now, that never did as a kid.

The sewer maze. I know the map is the arcade game - but when you turn left or right - you need a physical copy of the map to also adjust because the perspective. I'd done a screenshot of the arcade game - and trying to mentally turn the map in my head is problematic. (I also probably drew a hand drawn map when I was a kid, which would make this easier) :D
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Cool that you are playing these.

A copy of the arcade map is included in the game box. It's part of the map of the city. I also had to use this and physically turn it around so I could navigate.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:46 am Cool that you are playing these.

A copy of the arcade map is included in the game box. It's part of the map of the city. I also had to use this and physically turn it around so I could navigate.
Yeah I ended up drawing a map - after trying with just looking at the screenshot on my paint program.
MHNYSEWERMAP.png
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Man - forgot so much about this game. Just got to the "alley scene" (which is an arcade sequence).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:54 pm Man - forgot so much about this game. Just got to the "alley scene" (which is an arcade sequence).
And... I forgot you need to do it more than once.

This is going to be a really long video. :lol:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:35 pm
Tawmis wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:54 pm Man - forgot so much about this game. Just got to the "alley scene" (which is an arcade sequence).
And just got to Central Park... so far blew up like eight times. (Watching the MAD thing doesn't help too much, because the land marks on the MAD look like garbled dots) :lol:
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

With increasing difficulty. :)
Tawmis wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:24 pm
And just got to Central Park... so far blew up like eight times. (Watching the MAD thing doesn't help too much, because the land marks on the MAD look like garbled dots) :lol:
The first time I played, I did it solely by brute force. I still have the notes. (Screen 1, Left, Second from bottom... etc.) I didn't learn the "trick" until later, but I'm not sure how much help it actually is.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:56 pm
With increasing difficulty. :)
Yeah - that last guy - took me a second to determine when to jump.
notbobsmith wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:56 pm
Tawmis wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:24 pm
The first time I played, I did it solely by brute force. I still have the notes. (Screen 1, Left, Second from bottom... etc.) I didn't learn the "trick" until later, but I'm not sure how much help it actually is.
I did it through brute force as well. I'd listen for the BLEEP to know it was a path I could take. Save. If he started walking across a field. Restore. Move the arrow to the next BLEEP. Save. Rinse repeat.

I did finally find the crowbar - and backtracked - then remembered, something else was in there - the body, so I restored back to the crowbar and did brute force again. Got lucky at the lake. I think I died two or three times there?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I beat it.

But man, how did this game not leave a bad impression on my youthful self when I originally played it? :D

I did have to cheat once and look up why the robot wouldn't leave the "death" food factory. Turns out I didn't select the right thing at Phil's for the robot to leave.

So I had to restore and redo that - and go from there again.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:30 pm I beat it.

But man, how did this game not leave a bad impression on my youthful self when I originally played it? :D

I did have to cheat once and look up why the robot wouldn't leave the "death" food factory. Turns out I didn't select the right thing at Phil's for the robot to leave.

My own experience with the game was tainted because before getting my own copy, I played it at a friends house. So a few of the puzzles here and there were spoiled for me. I pretty much had all of Day 4 spoiled. This makes having a "first impression" of the game difficult for me since I didn't have to struggle through some places and never had "That was worth the effort" or "That was unfair" moments.

I do remember having to get a hint for Day 3. The Empire State Building wouldn't show up as a location for me. It will only show up if you enter Phil's name in the MAD, which I didn't do.

Unfortunately, when I got Manhunter 2, my friend also got it and I would get unsolicited hints from him, so some of the puzzles there were spoiled for me too.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:41 pm
Tawmis wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:30 pm I beat it.
My own experience with the game was tainted because before getting my own copy, I played it at a friends house. So a few of the puzzles here and there were spoiled for me. I pretty much had all of Day 4 spoiled. This makes having a "first impression" of the game difficult for me since I didn't have to struggle through some places and never had "That was worth the effort" or "That was unfair" moments.
I do remember having to get a hint for Day 3. The Empire State Building wouldn't show up as a location for me. It will only show up if you enter Phil's name in the MAD, which I didn't do.
Unfortunately, when I got Manhunter 2, my friend also got it and I would get unsolicited hints from him, so some of the puzzles there were spoiled for me too.
I figure, back in my youth - when I played this when it first came out - some of these sequences wouldn't have bothered me back then.
Because back then I was a mall/arcade rat - where I hung out in arcades all the time, so some of these sequences - which they have way too many of in this game - would have been normal for me.
These days, with no arcades around, even the few games I play where there is an arcade sequence, they're always the most disappointing/frustrating part of the game.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Non Commentary version weighing in just over 3 hours, so the non commentary should be about 45 minutes when I am done.
(As of the time of this posting, it was still rendering the HD version)

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Never got a chance to play this one. It always struck me as a post-apocalyptic sci-fi (a bit like Terminator 2, I guess?), which I don't enjoy. :(
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:56 pm Never got a chance to play this one. It always struck me as a post-apocalyptic sci-fi (a bit like Terminator 2, I guess?), which I don't enjoy. :(
It is, pretty much, exactly that. Except rather than Terminator Robots, it's the Orbs.

Return to “The Manhunter Games”