Sierra Madlibs!

Just like the title says. Fun little forum related games and threads. Come in here and have some fun!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Sierra Madlibs!

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Just curious: I presume there are differences between different southern states, right? I mean, someone from (say) Texas would express themselves differently than someone from (say) Tennessee, or Georgia or where-ever. (Obviously, I'm a damn'd furriner for even asking such a question.) ;) But are there similarities that creep in across neighbouring states - e.g. California and Nevada, or Texas and Louisiana, or...? Just wondering. :)

It's just, I can't imagine everyone in a certain state speaking a certain way, and everyone across the border speaking in another way. That's just silly. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:21 am Just curious: I presume there are differences between different southern states, right? I mean, someone from (say) Texas would express themselves differently than someone from (say) Tennessee, or Georgia or where-ever. (Obviously, I'm a damn'd furriner for even asking such a question.) ;) But are there similarities that creep in across neighbouring states - e.g. California and Nevada, or Texas and Louisiana, or...? Just wondering. :)
It's just, I can't imagine everyone in a certain state speaking a certain way, and everyone across the border speaking in another way. That's just silly. ;)
Oh, it's definitely that way. You can go from California to Nevada, and hear different accents of how Californians (such as myself) speak compared to people in Nevada.

Part of it is the culture that builds around the area - like growing up most of my life in San Diego, there's a very "Surf like" mentality among a lot of people. So "Dude" gets used a lot ("Dude, did you see the new movie?") where as if you go to Nevada, it's the same question without "dude." And Texas and Tennessee both have the "southern draw" to their words. So it's definitely different in many states.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

[PART OF A FACE] - NASAL PASSAGE
[SOUTHERN EXPRESSION OF SURPRISE] - WELL KISS MY GRITS AND SLAP MY PANCAKES, AIN'T THAT SOMETHIN'?
[PRESENT TENSE VERB] - SMACK
[COLOR] - GLAUCOUS
[ADVERB] - FURIOUSLY
[PAST TENSE VERB]
[PAST TENSE VERB]
[PAST TENSE VERB]
[NOUN] - POTATO
[NEVADA EXPRESSION OF SURPRISE] - WELL LIQUOR IN THE FRONT AND POKER IN THE REAR!
[PAST TENSE VERB] - GUTTED
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:23 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:21 am Just curious: I presume there are differences between different southern states, right? I mean, someone from (say) Texas would express themselves differently than someone from (say) Tennessee, or Georgia or where-ever. (Obviously, I'm a damn'd furriner for even asking such a question.) ;) But are there similarities that creep in across neighbouring states - e.g. California and Nevada, or Texas and Louisiana, or...? Just wondering. :)
Oh, it's definitely that way. You can go from California to Nevada, and hear different accents of how Californians (such as myself) speak compared to people in Nevada.

Part of it is the culture that builds around the area - like growing up most of my life in San Diego, there's a very "Surf like" mentality among a lot of people. So "Dude" gets used a lot ("Dude, did you see the new movie?") where as if you go to Nevada, it's the same question without "dude." And Texas and Tennessee both have the "southern draw" to their words. So it's definitely different in many states.
Thanks, Tawm. :) Just another question: yes, I get it that lots of people in San Diego would speak in a way that people in Nevada wouldn't. ;) But would Texans speak the same way as Tennessee people? Or Louisiana natives speak the same as people from Georgia, Florida etc.?

I'm sure it's a silly question - I'm just curious. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:45 am Thanks, Tawm. :) Just another question: yes, I get it that lots of people in San Diego would speak in a way that people in Nevada wouldn't. ;) But would Texans speak the same way as Tennessee people? Or Louisiana natives speak the same as people from Georgia, Florida etc.?
I'm sure it's a silly question - I'm just curious. :)
Louisiana has it's own version of slang, for sure. Considering the history of Louisiana, that's not a surprise. To be fair, I am only aware of New Orleans, and the surrounding areas (about an hour out in every direction) from my time there.

Texas and Tennessee, both have a very "southern" slang.

Georgia, probably depends where you go. My exposure to Atlanta, Georgia is probably skewed by my experience.

Florida, from my time visiting there, they didn't really have any real noticeable "slang" type dialect.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Thanks! =) I'm sure every state has its own slang - and I'm also sure Texas has moved far beyond the old "Yee-hah" stereotypes. Now that I've googled Texas/Tennessee slang, this Tennessee phrase jumped out at me:
google wrote:"Soiled up like a possum eating a persimmon."
The mental imagery is quite amusing. ;) Plus, it reminds me of Daffy Duck saying "Thanks for the sour persimmons, cousin." :lol:

Out of curiosity, I checked out things to know before you visit Nashville. Many of them seem like common sense, and are quite funny - especially the last one: "Don't wear a cowboy hat. You aren't on a farm, at a rodeo, or in a 90s country music video." :lol:

While I was at it, I also looked up things you should know before visiting L.A. I knew L.A. was a complicated city, but ... sheesh. Now it seems intimidating. (It's so ... big). ;)

Anyway. Still your turn, Tawm. :)

[SOUTHERN EXPRESSION OF SURPRISE] - WELL KISS MY GRITS AND SLAP MY PANCAKES, AIN'T THAT SOMETHIN'?
[COLOR] - GLAUCOUS
[ADVERB] - FURIOUSLY
[PAST TENSE VERB]
[PAST TENSE VERB]
[PAST TENSE VERB]
[NOUN] - POTATO
[NEVADA EXPRESSION OF SURPRISE] - WELL LIQUOR IN THE FRONT AND POKER IN THE REAR!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

[COLOR] - GLAUCOUS
[ADVERB] - FURIOUSLY
[PAST TENSE VERB] - RAN
[PAST TENSE VERB] - SAUNTERED
[PAST TENSE VERB]
[NOUN] - POTATO
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

[COLOR] - GLAUCOUS
[ADVERB] - FURIOUSLY
[PAST TENSE VERB] - RAN
[PAST TENSE VERB] - SAUNTERED
[PAST TENSE VERB] - SHUCKED
[NOUN] - POTATO

And that is all of them.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Larry Left Laura in the Land of the Lounge Lizards

Laura Bow opened her NASAL PASSAGE and looked around. There didn't seem to be any obvious danger. She was lying on cool sheets, underneath a comforter, with her head on a pillow.

No-one seemed about to stab her or shoot her or hack her head off. Good.

She swung her legs off the bed and ... wait a moment! Why was she wearing trousers? WELL KISS MY GRITS AND SLAP MY PANCAKES, AIN'T THAT SOMETHIN'? Someone's been leavin' great hulkin' footy-prints all over her clean floor!

She looked in the mirror. "Ahhhhhhhhh!"

Where was her dress? Where was her bow? She was SMACKING a white suit slightly too big for her, a GLAUCOUS shirt open at the throat -- thank goodness she was completely ... ahem ... "covered" -- and a golden medallion that looked ... well, tacky.

She sniffed FURIOUSLY. What -- was she wearing aftershave? But she was too young to shave, wasn't she?

Surely there was some mistake. That was it. Someone would soon open the door and give her back her clothes--

Someone was knocking at the door. "Are you all right?" A voice RAN.

All right, Laura, think. How are you to get out of this mess?

"I--" she was aware there was a tremor in her voice. "I don't know?"

The door opened, and a balding middle-aged man, wearing slacks, a shirt, a tie, an apron and several unknowable stains barged in. "What d'ya mean, you don't know?" He SAUNTERED. "And who are you, anyway?"

"I -- who are you?"

"I own this pub, miss. Says so on the sign," the man said. "Lefty, that's me. And who might you be?"

"I -- my name's Laura," Laura SHUCKED on the bedside POTATO. "Laura Bow."

"Leisure Suit Laura, eh?"

"N-no," Laura said. "J-just Laura."

"But you're wearing a leisure suit," Lefty pointed out.

"What's a leisure suit, please?"

" WELL LIQUOR IN THE FRONT AND POKER IN THE REAR, girl!" Lefty picked at his apron and GUTTED the stains a bit deeper. "Don't tell me you don't know what a leisure suit is!"

"But S-sir -- er, Lefty," Laura grabbed at this lifeline, "I don't know what a leisure--"

"I told you not to tell me that!" Lefty roared.

What's next for our heroine? Will she get out of Lost Wages alive? Tune in next week, same Laura time, same Laura channel... :P
=========================
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

NBS, it's your turn! ;)
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

I'll post something shortly.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking!
I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking!
I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking!
I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking!
I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking! I caught you peeking!
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

[ADJECTIVE]
[ADVERB]
[VERB]
[ADJECTIVE]
[ADVERB]
[GOURMET COFFEE]

It's a little short. Maybe do one at a time.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

[ADJECTIVE] - FLORESCENT
[ADVERB]
[VERB]
[ADJECTIVE]
[ADVERB]
[GOURMET COFFEE]
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

[ADJECTIVE] - FLORESCENT
[ADVERB] - INTERMITTENTLY
[VERB]
[ADJECTIVE]
[ADVERB]
[GOURMET COFFEE]

Tawm, I'm confused. "Florescent" means "a state or period of flourishing" - so, flowers can be florescent in mid-spring. :) Do you mean "fluorescent" (as in lights)?

Return to “Community Games”