So...no one else is gonna bring it up?

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

So...no one else is gonna bring it up?

Post by MusicallyInspired »

http://returntomonkeyisland.com/

Of course, I realize not a lot of you may be hardcore LucasArts fans or even be familiar with the Monkey Island series as much (maybe you are!). But Ron Gilbert, the original creator and designer of the first two Monkey Island games is returning to make another one. He announced it on April Fool's day and of course nobody believed him, but a couple days later the teaser trailer and website dropped and the internet exploded. Even Elijah Wood is psyched for it. Monkey Island has had 5 games and 2 remasters, but the series kind of went down a road that Ron Gilbert didn't particularly intend after he left LucasArts and after the second game. He always said he'd love to make a third game and continue his original idea. His company Terrible Toybox has partnered with Devolver Digital to publish the game with the newly reformed LucasFilm Games' blessing. Needless to say, a lot of people are very excited as people have been waiting for Ron Gilbert's next Monkey Island game for 31 years. And it comes out this year!

It is 2D, but not retro/pixel art. Dave Grossman, who helped design the first two Monkey Island games, is also back onboard. Ron is also bringing familiar voices back. Already confirmed is Dominic Armato once again as Guybrush, Alexandra Boyd as Elaine, and Danny Delk as Murray the demonic talking skull (who was actually a character Ron didn't create from the game Curse of Monkey Island, but he liked him so much he brought him into his game). Also returning are Monkey Island composer legends Michael Z Land, Peter McConnell, and Clint Bajakien. There also likely won't be any verb GUI interface like classic Monkey Island has. We'll just have to wait to see more about the game. They've been working on it for the last 2 years during the pandemic in complete secret. Among other confirmed notes is that this game takes place right after Monkey Island 2 (which had an insane cliffhanger that was never properly provided closure) but that it's also going to respect Curse of Monkey Island as canon, which surprised everyone. But it's coming this year! I, for one, am excited.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: So...no one else is gonna bring it up?

Post by Tawmis »

I am surprised Rath hadn't brought it up, as I think he's a big MI fan... er, Monkey Island fan... not Musically Inspired fan... though, rest assured, I am sure he's a fan of you, and not saying he doesn't like you.... :D
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Tawmis wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:37 pm I am surprised Rath hadn't brought it up, as I think he's a big MI fan... er, Monkey Island fan... not Musically Inspired fan... though, rest assured, I am sure he's a fan of you, and not saying he doesn't like you.... :D
:lol:
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

*blink*

*blink, blink*

That's just about the most unexpectedly wonderful news I’ve ever heard! :D I can't believe it. The Secret of Monkey Island is the third adventure game I can remember playing (after Maniac Mansion and Leisure Suit Larry 1). This is so cool! :D :D :D

And yes, I like MusicallyInspired too. :) Thanks for the news, MI! :D

Ron Gilbert back together with Peter McConnell and Michael Z Land - with Dom Armato, Alex Boyd and Danny Delk. :D I'm just sad that Earl Boen won't be there to voice LeChuck - Earl retired in 2017. :(
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

I'm still crossing my fingers for Earl because you never know...but yeah, odds aren't great.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Well, he's 80 this year. All that shouting is probably not great for his voice. But yes, I'm crossing my fingers for Earl too.

If he doesn't voice LeChuck, who could do it just as well? Steve Blum, maybe? Or Alan Blumenfeld? :)
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

A new interview with Ron and Dave. Including for new screenshots from the game! Unfortunately, Earl Boen declined the role of LeChuck because he's retired and getting older, but they did approach him. However he gave them his blessing to recast the role lol.

They also answer a few questions people have been wondering about, without revealing story spoilers. Ron confirmed that the game starts in the amusement park at the end of Monley Island 2, Melee Island is in it, and at some point you'll get to Monkey Island again. There are a bunch of returning characters and a whole slew of new ones. They've tried to get as many recurring voice actors as they could for the original roles, but didn't reveal any more characters than what's already been confirmed. They alsosaid they're not touching the canon of all the other games, though in some instances when it's convenient they may ignore small details because sometimes the games "contradict themselves" so they deemed it appropriate. That and also that a strict adherence to canon in absolutely all factors isn't as creatively healthy. Another thing is that they couldn't pin a number on the chronology of this game. They described It as "amorphous" and hard to explain.

https://adventuregamers.com/articles/vi ... key-island

MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Best April Fool's Day gag ever. :)

Yes, Melee Island is definitely in there. From the look of things, the "high street" changed a bit; the church is boarded up, for instance, so I presume Guybrush will have to break in at some point. We've seen the inside of the locksmith's shop. We still don't know what the jail and general shop have been turned into, but I'm sure we'll find out. And the back alley's blocked with rubbish, so I guess Guybrush has no reason to go there. Maybe. ;)

I noticed someone in the upper storey of the general shop, looking out. Presumably he/she is there to be spoken to (maybe he/she lets Guybrush into the shop).

So Earl won't be voicing LeChuck. What do you think of Steve Blum or Alan Blumenfeld voicing him? :) Steve has a distinctively deep voice (he voiced Oghren in DAO and Sub-Zero in Mortal Kombat, among hundreds of other games), so I think he would suit LeChuck well. Then again, Alan also has a very good voice for this type of work - he voiced Glottis in Grim Fandango and Boyd Cooper in Psychonauts, so Ron or Dave might have met him through their connection to Lucasfilm. ;)
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

I'm not familiar with those voice actors. I was actually wondering if Danny Delk could pull it off.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Here are some of the many characters voiced by Steve Blum:

As for Alan Blumenfeld, I found this at the E3 Coliseum (and also featuring Tim Schafer, some of the cast of Grim Fandango, and Jack Black == and Peter McConnell and the band!) :D

notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

The video for Steve Blum didn't mention his Sierra connection. In QFG5, he played Kokeeno and Magnum Opus among others.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Agh, agh, agh. *head-desk* I was just about to post my reply here and this forum logged me off (again!) :x So ...

*looks up Steve Blum on IMDB* Hey, you're right! :) He also did four other parts on QfG5 - Abduel (the guard on the Dead Parrot Inn), the Parrot inside the Inn, Andre the fisherman and Salim, the spaced-out apothecary. Cool. He's also done hundreds of voices for computer games, so I'd say he's well-qualified. ;) What do you think of him for LeChuck?

I'm not too sure about Danny Delk. I mean, he's done hundreds of voices too, but nothing's been confirmed.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:39 pm Agh, agh, agh. *head-desk* I was just about to post my reply here and this forum logged me off (again!) :x So ...

*looks up Steve Blum on IMDB* Hey, you're right! :) He also did four other parts on QfG5 - Abduel (the guard on the Dead Parrot Inn), the Parrot inside the Inn, Andre the fisherman and Salim, the spaced-out apothecary. Cool. He's also done hundreds of voices for computer games, so I'd say he's well-qualified. ;) What do you think of him for LeChuck?

I'm not too sure about Danny Delk. I mean, he's done hundreds of voices too, but nothing's been confirmed.
I'm afraid I never played the Monkey Island series (I have them now from GOG), so I can't really say how he will do in the role.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Well, now. Now that you have the Monkey Island games on GOG, please feel free to play them at your leisure! :) They're a very funny take on the pirate tales of old. ("Pirates of the Caribbean" just doesn't compare). ;)

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”