Leisure Suit Larry 5: "COFFEE!"

Slipping into your Leisure Suit? Need tips? Or just want to discuss Leisure Suit Larry (Ladies, try to keep the swooning to a minimum, please!) - this is the place to do it!
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Leisure Suit Larry 5: "COFFEE!"

Post by goatmeal »

For some reason, the digitized audio clip at the beginning of LSL5 of the guy yelling "COFFEE!" at Larry has always cracked me up.

(I wonder which Sierra employee they got to yell that...)

30 years later, I finally decided to extract just that sound effect, but the usual methods didn't apply:

• I couldn't access digitized sounds using SCI Resource Viewer, SCI Companion, nor SCI Studios

• Because it predates AUD, SFX, and SPK resource files, I couldn't open anything using the old GAP Game Audio Player program

• While there is a music "jukebox" in the game where you can play a number of music selections (Larry's 'Strombug Carlton'-brand 8-Track Cartridge Tape Player in the videotape room at the beginning of the game), there is no similar sound board for the digitized effects

For my DOSBox / system setup, the digitized sound only plays with two music card install options:
• Roland MT-32 [music] with Sound Blaster [digitized sound effects]
• Sound Blaster Card [digitized music + sound effects] (which is what I used when the game first came out)

Unfortunately, there is only a single volume slider in the game's menu; you can't independently control the music volume and the sound effects volume; you are going to get music playing alongside the sound effects no matter what.

So... I struck upon the idea of intentionally playing the game using the wrong MIDI device: Virtual MIDI Synth [GM] instead of MUNT MT-32. Once the game began, I simply removed all active sound fonts from Virtual MIDI Synth (essentially muting the music), which left only the Sound Blaster to play sound effects. Then, I recorded the "COFFEE!" sound effect on its own using the "What-U-Hear" option from my old Sound Blaster card.

Here is. While I have used the LSL2 "Points" sound effect (doo dee doo-doot deet) for my smartphone text notification for the last few years, I am now seriously considering using "COFFEE!" instead.

Enjoy!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Leisure Suit Larry 5: "COFFEE!"

Post by Rath Darkblade »

The clip doesn't play, goatmeal. :( When I press play, instead of playing, it says <MEDIA>@https://doc-10-3c-docs.googleusercontent.com.

Not sure what that is? *shrug*
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

It plays for me. It's in a big grey box - with the play button in the middle.
Try the google drive link -

here.
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Tawmis wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:14 pm It plays for me. It's in a big grey box - with the play button in the middle.

here.
Thanks for the assist, Tawmis. I tend to have a problem with URLs when posting on forums; I expected only the link to show up here, but the forum evidently had other plans (by including a direct media player for the MP3)... ;)

Rath, you should also see a "pop-out" arrow-in-a-box icon in the upper-right hand corner of the big grey box. Click on that, and it will also take you directly to the file's Google Drive page.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

goatmeal wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:10 pm
Tawmis wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:14 pm It plays for me. It's in a big grey box - with the play button in the middle.
here.
Thanks for the assist, Tawmis. I tend to have a problem with URLs when posting on forums; I expected only the link to show up here, but the forum evidently had other plans (by including a direct media player for the MP3)... ;)
Rath, you should also see a "pop-out" arrow-in-a-box icon in the upper-right hand corner of the big grey box. Click on that, and it will also take you directly to the file's Google Drive page.
Yeah, the forum will try to do nice previews, if folks use a browser that supports it. Like posting a link to a tweet - rather than just a link, it shows the tweet.

For example:

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Huh. I thought I knew what the problem was -- I use NoScript, and some elements of this page were not 'trusted'. I gave those elements my 'trust' ... but it still didn't work. (I still got the error above).

I tried to play it on the google drive website ... with all elements trusted ... but the site told me "There was a problem playing this sound file". (That was the error message).

Then I tried to download it and play it with Media Player Classic ... and THEN it played. "COFFEE!" ;)

But it wouldn't play 'til then. How weird! *shrug*
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:44 pm Huh. I thought I knew what the problem was -- I use NoScript, and some elements of this page were not 'trusted'. I gave those elements my 'trust' ... but it still didn't work. (I still got the error above).
I tried to play it on the google drive website ... with all elements trusted ... but the site told me "There was a problem playing this sound file". (That was the error message).
Then I tried to download it and play it with Media Player Classic ... and THEN it played. "COFFEE!" ;)
But it wouldn't play 'til then. How weird! *shrug*
You got weird $#!+ with your browser. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

:lol: Not necessarily. Have you never heard of NoScript? It's a free software extension for Chrome, Firefox, SeaMonkey, and other Mozilla-based browsers. It allows you to block or unblock executable web content from any site. So if I wanted to, I could block google from running any executables (but why should I?) ;)

More practically, it means that I can allow the sierrahelp.com domain to run, but not allow anything else. I can allow anything I like (e.g. GOG, Steam, Gmail etc.) but nothing else. It's basically a security measure. ;)

I also have Adblock and Malwarebytes Browser Guard on my browser. So, I'm pretty safe. :)

The downside is that sometimes things don't work when I want them to (like now), so I have to fiddle around with NoScript until they do.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:08 pm :lol: Not necessarily. Have you never heard of NoScript? It's a free software extension for Chrome, Firefox, SeaMonkey, and other Mozilla-based browsers. It allows you to block or unblock executable web content from any site. So if I wanted to, I could block google from running any executables (but why should I?) ;)
More practically, it means that I can allow the sierrahelp.com domain to run, but not allow anything else. I can allow anything I like (e.g. GOG, Steam, Gmail etc.) but nothing else. It's basically a security measure. ;)
I also have Adblock and Malwarebytes Browser Guard on my browser. So, I'm pretty safe. :)
The downside is that sometimes things don't work when I want them to (like now), so I have to fiddle around with NoScript until they do.
I wonder if some of that is causing the issues you've been seeing. :)
I have two extensions - Beyond20 (which is a D&D thing) and Adblock. :D

Return to “The Leisure Suit Larry Series”