Gabriel Knight 1 - Sins of the Father - Lets Play Sierra Games!

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Gabriel Knight 1 - Sins of the Father - Lets Play Sierra Games!

Post by Tawmis »

... phew. This game was complicated on all kinds of levels.

Not only the issue with ScummVM, then using FRAPS to record, and then DOSBox... and then recording, and then rendering the entire ... 11 HOURS! ... of game play...

Took 22 hours to render...

... and there was no audio. Even though the individual files had audio.

Discovered a setting got purged, which effed up the audio.

So I decided to render each of the days individually for now.

And I will do one "large video" for 11 hours, for anyone who wants to watch that and go to sleep listening to Gabriel Knight 1. :D

Here's the play list....

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... mxMReTOLAz
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Gabriel Knight 1 - Sins of the Father - Lets Play Sierra Games!

Post by Tawmis »

Here's all 10 days combined into one (very long!) video... longest video for my play throughs, beating out Lighthouse (which I think was 10 hours) - this one comes in at 11 hours.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

And commentary - but mostly a lot of rambling. :D

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Yep! It's definitely a good thing to give characters something to say about everything (almost). As you say, it fleshes them out - you stop thinking of them as "two-dimensional hand-drawn faces" and start thinking of them as "real people". :D

It's cool that this game sparked your interest in N'Awrlins, and even cooler that you got to visit. :) Personally -- Alas, I've never been to America. The more I read about America, the more I realise it has so many great sites to see -- but I only have a limited budget. *shrug* Oh well. Perhaps some day.

I just finished reading a book about the Wild West. It describes the West in such vivid colours, I thought I'd love to see Yosemite and Yellowstone National Parks -- and walk through them, take them in, not just 'here's Fairy Falls - now let's rush or we'll miss Old Faithful' etc. If I see Old Faithful erupt, I'll see it. If not, I won't. It's nature, not a theme park ride.

What else would I like to see? Tombstone, Arizona. Dodge City, Kansas. Silverton, Colorado. Deadwood, South Dakota. I don't imagine for a minute that they would look like they did back in the Wild West, but hey - time moves on. :) Oh, whoops. I'm rambling. Sorry. *blush*
==============
A world without the internet? Watchu talkin' 'bout, Willis? ;) 'Tis true. Back in the days of dial-up modems, we weren't *makes quotemarks with fingers* "surfin' the web" with graphical user interface and pretty pictures. It was all TEXT! *sulks* An' we LIKED it that way. :)
==============
Yep, the story, the art, the voices are GREAT. Here's something you may not have known (I certainly didn't): Tim Curry also voiced the Gedde Estate Butler. :) And yes, Virginia Capers was the narrator. Leilani Jones voiced Malia Gedde. Desk Officer Frick was voiced by Jim Cummings (who also did a bunch of other voices, e.g. Gunther and the Dragon). Grandma Knight is voiced by Linda Taylor (who also voices Tetelo).

Another fun fact: Jim Cummings (aka Desk Officer Frick, and others), worked in New Orleans as a designer of Mardi Gras floats, a singer, a door-to-door salesman, and a Louisiana riverboat deckhand. After that, he moved to Anaheim, CA, where he became a voice actor. (Thanks, IMDB!) ;)

Spoiler alert: just because Dr John knows a lot about voodoo, doesn't mean he's heavily involved in the voodoo cult. ;)
==============
By the way: "Goat without horns" makes sense as a human sacrifice. Goats were often used in both cults and religions as sacrifices, so having a goat without horns makes sense. :)
==============
I just noticed something. When Gabe turns out the heat in the office, Mosely is so bothered that he takes off his jacket. But Gabe still has his leather jacket on. Wouldn't he be boiling? ;) Leather jackets are warm. (I own one, so I know).
==============
Here's how to figure out the clock business:
The Dragon symbol is significant to the Gabriel family.

As for the time on the clock - what number is significant to the Gabriel family?

Have you looked at your father's painting?
Have you translated Heinz Ritter's poem?
Have you looked at the sketch book?
Three snakes, three dragons ... three o'clock.
:)
==============
Incidentally, I love the picture of Gabriel as priest. He looks so ... wholesome. And, of course, the blessing over the amulet that Madame Cazanoux gives you. "Bless it, Wilbur!" :lol: It's such a Gabriel Knight thing to say. Is he asking the guy from Mr Ed to bless the amulet? ;)
==============
Uh, it's an alligator head. Crocs (or crocodiles) live in freshwater areas OR saltwater ones, but alligators can only live in freshwater areas (e.g. swamps, marshland, rivers, lakes). So, seeing as New Orleans has a substantial and extensive swamp ... the bayou ... watch out for alligators. :D

There are many differences between crocs and alligators: alligators live only in many of the southern US states, as well as the north of South America. Crocodiles can also live in (most of) Africa, the northeast of Australia, and much of southeast Asia (e.g. Thailand, Vietnam, Papua New Guinea etc.)

The alligator snout is broad, and shaped like a U. The crocodile snout is narrower, and shaped like a V. :) Also, American alligators are mostly green; crocodiles can be brown. There are other differences too - here. (I did a lot of research on crocs and alligators when I included one or two in a story). :)
==============
Hold on, Crash is poisoned? I thought the game said that his neck showed signs of strangulation. *shrug* It depends on the poison, of course, but some poisons are slow and allow you to talk to the victim. Strangulation is far quicker. (I'm not trying to be creepy or anything, it's just a medical fact). His face is also unnaturally purple, which indicates strangulation. But there's no-one near him, so who strangles him?

It is, of course, very possible that he is fed something - something poisonous? - by the rada drummer that he talks to. Some poisons - very nasty ones - can deprive a human being of oxygen, but they are usually very quick. Cyanide is a famous example; if you have no protection, any kind of cyanide can kill within three or four seconds. :shock: But cyanide has a use in heavy industry, as well as crash repair. You just need a lot of the right protection.

==============
As for the cult building their base underneath the cathedral - what makes you think the priests KNOW that the cult base is there? This cult is well-connected, has a LOT of money, and (if Malia Gedde is any indication) is well-respected in high society. Even if the priests suspected something, who would they go to? ;) Yes, the "well-connected members of high society who are secretly plotting to do XYZ" is a bit of a stereotype - but it's a stereotype because it's happened so many times.

The various orders of Crusader knights, for instance (e.g. the Templars, the Hospitallers etc.) were well-connected to high-ranking nobles and even kings. As well as being knights, they were also merchants, bankers, and moneylenders (even to kings). The Templars were eventually disbanded because the King of France at the time owed them a lot of money and couldn't afford to pay, so he accused them of witchcraft and heresy and so on. (That's the basis of Gabriel Knight 3). ;)

To come back to the cult base underneath the cathedral... Isn't it a great irony? It's the last place you'd expect them to be. And maybe they figured - hey, as long as we're here, let's be comfortable. So they used their pots-of-money to do some building and stuff. ;) Maybe they subcontracted the base-building to a bunch of tradesmen, who built the thing - and then they murdered them. "Now that you know, you will not leave." :twisted:

Sure, it could've been a cave or caves, but then it would be like "The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion" and other fantasy games. ;)

Besides, it's a game where Gabriel has a vision of a dragon. The dragon burns away the selfish part of Gabriel. Also, zombies come back to life. And the cult base is the MOST unrealistic thing? ;)
==============
The library thing ... yeah, in a story, this is called "an info-dump" - because you basically dump a whole bunch of info on the player (or the reader). ;)

An info-dump is important to move the story forward, but it's important to do it in the right way and at the right time. NEVER, NEVER do an info-dump right at the beginning, because no-one will care. ;) Imagine you haven't even started a game, and they give you all this info about such-and-such and so-and-so. Who cares? ;)

I think they handled the info-dump just right: it wasn't one book that gave you all this info, but five books that introduced a very important (and complicated) subject in stages, so it kept your interest. :) But just imagine if it was one book, and a WHOLE bunch'a info ... both you and Gabe would've thought, "I HAVE TO READ ALL THIS?!" :lol:
==============
Ah, yes ... day 9. Easily the hardest (and most horrifying) part of the game. Have fun playing zombie dodgem. :twisted: But once you get past the zombies ... ;)

Incidentally, Wolfgang is Gabe's uncle. (Yep. He's the brother of Gabe's father. Gabe's gran tells you so at the beginning. :D He's played by Efrem Zimbalist, Jr., a great actor). :) Oh, and here's the guy who played Dr. John - don't they look similar? (I said similar, not the same). ;)

And ...... ugggghghghgh!!! :devil: Wolfgang's sacrifice scene is so damn powerful. :( A tear-jerker scene for sure.
==============
Aha! It's day 10. The worst is over. ;) I like the savegame where you get all the money. "Well Well Well". "XtraCash". :lol:

Um, the money isn't counterfeit. It's real enough. Gabe wouldn't take it if it was fake. :) It's money that the cult stashed away over the years - stolen from victims, gotten from bequests and so on ... you're thinking "Bequests? Who would bequest money to a bunch of crazy killers?" but you're forgetting that this cult has a life above-ground, where they are respectable members of high society. :D

Um ... the goddess that Malia sacrifices herself to stop is Tetelo, not Toledo. ;) Toledo is a town in Ohio (and also in Spain - Toledo steel is very famous).

What, you didn't include the OTHER ending? Aww. :)

Thanks, Tawm! That was fun. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am Yep! It's definitely a good thing to give characters something to say about everything (almost). As you say, it fleshes them out - you stop thinking of them as "two-dimensional hand-drawn faces" and start thinking of them as "real people". :D
Yes, it's so fantastic.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am It's cool that this game sparked your interest in N'Awrlins, and even cooler that you got to visit. :) Personally -- Alas, I've never been to America. The more I read about America, the more I realise it has so many great sites to see -- but I only have a limited budget. *shrug* Oh well. Perhaps some day.
Yup, and I even got to see our beloved Jules quite a few times, when I went out! Which made it even more incredible.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am I just finished reading a book about the Wild West. It describes the West in such vivid colours, I thought I'd love to see Yosemite and Yellowstone National Parks -- and walk through them, take them in, not just 'here's Fairy Falls - now let's rush or we'll miss Old Faithful' etc. If I see Old Faithful erupt, I'll see it. If not, I won't. It's nature, not a theme park ride.
Yeah I have a great memory of going up to Yosemite and even Sierra, when I applied for a Customer Service job way back when.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am A world without the internet? Watchu talkin' 'bout, Willis? ;) 'Tis true. Back in the days of dial-up modems, we weren't *makes quotemarks with fingers* "surfin' the web" with graphical user interface and pretty pictures. It was all TEXT! *sulks* An' we LIKED it that way. :)
I can't even remember if Internet was common use yet when GK1 came out.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am ==============
Yep, the story, the art, the voices are GREAT. Here's something you may not have known (I certainly didn't): Tim Curry also voiced the Gedde Estate Butler. :) And yes, Virginia Capers was the narrator. Leilani Jones voiced Malia Gedde. Desk Officer Frick was voiced by Jim Cummings (who also did a bunch of other voices, e.g. Gunther and the Dragon). Grandma Knight is voiced by Linda Taylor (who also voices Tetelo).
Noticed it in the credits at the end.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am Another fun fact: Jim Cummings (aka Desk Officer Frick, and others), worked in New Orleans as a designer of Mardi Gras floats, a singer, a door-to-door salesman, and a Louisiana riverboat deckhand. After that, he moved to Anaheim, CA, where he became a voice actor. (Thanks, IMDB!) ;)
That's great that he could be the one used and have that New Orleans tie!
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am Spoiler alert: just because Dr John knows a lot about voodoo, doesn't mean he's heavily involved in the voodoo cult. ;)
Um, except he is.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am By the way: "Goat without horns" makes sense as a human sacrifice. Goats were often used in both cults and religions as sacrifices, so having a goat without horns makes sense. :)
Yes, but not all goats have horns.
For example, per google - A “polled” goat (of any breed) is one that is naturally born without horns.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am I just noticed something. When Gabe turns out the heat in the office, Mosely is so bothered that he takes off his jacket. But Gabe still has his leather jacket on. Wouldn't he be boiling? ;) Leather jackets are warm. (I own one, so I know).
New Orleans has insane humidity - so it's even odd Gabe has a jacket at all, if it isn't winter. :D
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am Here's how to figure out the clock business:
As for the time on the clock - what number is significant to the Gabriel family?
Yeah - with the whole "Wonder if Mosely would get offended if I called him Draco breath" (or whatever).
But even with the poem - and the painting - dragon and 3 o'clock - is a pretty big stretch.
Because the Lion is the important symbol to Gabe's family, not so much the dragon.
It's a lion and a serpent on his pendant and lion in the castle.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am Hold on, Crash is poisoned? I thought the game said that his neck showed signs of strangulation. *shrug* It depends on the poison, of course, but some poisons are slow and allow you to talk to the victim. Strangulation is far quicker. (I'm not trying to be creepy or anything, it's just a medical fact). His face is also unnaturally purple, which indicates strangulation. But there's no-one near him, so who strangles him?
It is, of course, very possible that he is fed something - something poisonous? - by the rada drummer that he talks to. Some poisons - very nasty ones - can deprive a human being of oxygen, but they are usually very quick. Cyanide is a famous example; if you have no protection, any kind of cyanide can kill within three or four seconds. :shock: But cyanide has a use in heavy industry, as well as crash repair. You just need a lot of the right protection.
He was already sickly and dying when Gabe talks to him in the Church. Gabe offers to give him a ride to the hospital which he refuses.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am As for the cult building their base underneath the cathedral - what makes you think the priests KNOW that the cult base is there? This cult is well-connected, has a LOT of money, and (if Malia Gedde is any indication) is well-respected in high society. Even if the priests suspected something, who would they go to? ;) Yes, the "well-connected members of high society who are secretly plotting to do XYZ" is a bit of a stereotype - but it's a stereotype because it's happened so many times.
People going into a confessional when no priest is there, and not coming out...
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am Besides, it's a game where Gabriel has a vision of a dragon. The dragon burns away the selfish part of Gabriel. Also, zombies come back to life. And the cult base is the MOST unrealistic thing? ;)
The dragon vision, is just that a vision; zombies you can accept as part of the Voodoo supernatural aspect... an entire base built under a Cathedral with power, lights, special locks, seemed a bit much. :D
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am The library thing ... yeah, in a story, this is called "an info-dump" - because you basically dump a whole bunch of info on the player (or the reader). ;)
It was a lot of having to keep clicking on different books was the problem.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am Um ... the goddess that Malia sacrifices herself to stop is Tetelo, not Toledo. ;) Toledo is a town in Ohio (and also in Spain - Toledo steel is very famous).
What, you didn't include the OTHER ending? Aww. :)
Thanks, Tawm! That was fun. :)
Toledo is also the last name of Vin Disel's character in Fast & Furious. Dominic Toledo, I believe. Or something close to that.

And I wasn't aware there was another ending?

Is it if you don't leave stuff for Mosley?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:30 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am A world without the internet? Watchu talkin' 'bout, Willis? ;) 'Tis true. Back in the days of dial-up modems, we weren't *makes quotemarks with fingers* "surfin' the web" with graphical user interface and pretty pictures. It was all TEXT! *sulks* An' we LIKED it that way. :)
I can't even remember if Internet was common use yet when GK1 came out.
1993? I didn't have access to the internet until 1995 or so, when I became a college fresher (1st-year). I remember thinking the internet was so wonderful, I spent more time at the computer lab than was probably good for me ... ;)

But I had an excuse -- the business course I was taking had a big tech component. ;)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am I just noticed something. When Gabe turns out the heat in the office, Mosely is so bothered that he takes off his jacket. But Gabe still has his leather jacket on. Wouldn't he be boiling? ;) Leather jackets are warm. (I own one, so I know).
New Orleans has insane humidity - so it's even odd Gabe has a jacket at all, if it isn't winter. :D
It's the Rule of Cool. 8-)
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am Here's how to figure out the clock business:
Yeah - with the whole "Wonder if Mosely would get offended if I called him Draco breath" (or whatever).
But even with the poem - and the painting - dragon and 3 o'clock - is a pretty big stretch.
Because the Lion is the important symbol to Gabe's family, not so much the dragon.
Hmm ... not trying to justify it or anything, and it's even more of a stretch, but both dragons (in medieval mythology) were supposed to be a kind of huge snake. Fire-breathing, flying snake.

Plus, there's the dragon in Gabe's dream (much later). So, there's that.

Maybe Jane wanted something cooler than lions? :)
Tawmis wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:30 pm He [Crash] was already sickly and dying when Gabe talks to him in the Church. Gabe offers to give him a ride to the hospital which he refuses.
Sure ... but we never learn what Crash dies of. (It probably doesn't matter; our own imagination can fill in the rest. Crash was already sickly when Mosely pulled him in. Poor kid. :( He just wanted to fit in with something or someone, and didn't care what).
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am As for the cult building their base underneath the cathedral - what makes you think the priests KNOW that the cult base is there? This cult is well-connected, has a LOT of money, and (if Malia Gedde is any indication) is well-respected in high society. Even if the priests suspected something, who would they go to? ;) Yes, the "well-connected members of high society who are secretly plotting to do XYZ" is a bit of a stereotype - but it's a stereotype because it's happened so many times.
People going into a confessional when no priest is there, and not coming out...
I'm ... pretty sure that if there are witnesses around the cathedral, the cultists will wait around and pretend to silently pray or admire the statues/stained-glass windows/etc. As soon as the priest's back is turned -- whoosh! -- into the fake confessional. ;) Priest turns around again: "Where'd he go? Oh well."
Tawmis wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:30 pm Toledo is also the last name of Vin Disel's character in Fast & Furious. Dominic Toledo, I believe. Or something close to that.

And I wasn't aware there was another ending?

Is it if you don't leave stuff for Mosley?
Uh ... there are multiple other endings, actually. For instance:

1. Don't leave stuff for Mosely to follow you (which you did); or
2. In the finale, you can be a jerk and:

a. Don't give the amulet to Grace (hey, Gabe needs protection!) ;)
b. Give the amulet to Grace, but when Malia is strangling you, don't fight back (she's too strong!)
c. Fight back against Malia and smash the statue, but then don't save Malia (hey, Gabe thinks she deserves it!)

Of course, those are the bad endings. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:58 am
Hmm ... not trying to justify it or anything, and it's even more of a stretch, but both dragons (in medieval mythology) were supposed to be a kind of huge snake. Fire-breathing, flying snake.
The dragon is much, much, much later; like when you're already in Germany.
So as a player, you'd have no indication of the Dragon in your vision.
Only the poem, which you mentioned, which means dragon in there.
I just can't see the connection to the clock (specifically 3 O'Clock).
The three snakes is something, but a stretch, also.
Tawmis wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:30 pm He [Crash] was already sickly and dying when Gabe talks to him in the Church. Gabe offers to give him a ride to the hospital which he refuses.
Sure ... but we never learn what Crash dies of. (It probably doesn't matter; our own imagination can fill in the rest. Crash was already sickly when Mosely pulled him in. Poor kid. :( He just wanted to fit in with something or someone, and didn't care what).
I didn't get the impression that Crash was already sickly when Mosley has him; he seems more drugged out and paranoid than sickly.
His voice definitely changes to coughing all the time and sounding much weaker, when Gabe sees him in the Cathedrae.
I imagine it's Voodoo stuff and/or poison. (Like the stuff you overhear at the Dixieland store about using gris gris to do stuff, that Moonbeam also tells you about if you ask)
She goes through a number of dark things you can do.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Just finished the commentary video.
Tawmis wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:23 pm
The dragon is much, much, much later; like when you're already in Germany.
So as a player, you'd have no indication of the Dragon in your vision.
Only the poem, which you mentioned, which means dragon in there.
I just can't see the connection to the clock (specifically 3 O'Clock).
The three snakes is something, but a stretch, also.
To me it seems pretty clear. The poem is called "Drei Drachen" ("Three Dragons") and is written by Gabriel's grandfather. It's one of the few things that's connected to him. His clock has a dragon and the poem mentions a number so...

Other comments:
9:20 Speaking of the Internet for getting hints. What about the 1-900 number for the hint line? Do 1-900 number still exist? As for myself, I didn't really start using the Internet until I started college in 1994, though my older sister did have access at school so I saw a little bit of it before then. Even Netscape Navigator didn't exist yet. We had Mosaic. Some stuff you could access with FTP. Anyone remember Gopher? One of the things I used that for was to access Tim Lynch's text reviews of TNG episodes.

36:57 This might belong in your other thread with the code put I'll put it here any way. The six letter that are missing are Y,U, and M and Q,X, and Z. You don't need the last three. The other three are learned with the message at this time stamp. The message says: DJ KEEP E?ES ON GK B?T DO NOT HAR? From this you figure out what Y, U and M are.

44:30 I also didn't like the underground bunker. I know the game has magic in it, but a James Bond-esque supervillain lair does seem out of place. The look of the place even has a sci-fi feel to it. I know the cult is supposed to be wealthy and powerful, but there has to be a better way of showing that.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:01 am Hold on, Crash is poisoned? I thought the game said that his neck showed signs of strangulation. *shrug* It depends on the poison, of course, but some poisons are slow and allow you to talk to the victim. Strangulation is far quicker. (I'm not trying to be creepy or anything, it's just a medical fact). His face is also unnaturally purple, which indicates strangulation. But there's no-one near him, so who strangles him?
He was already sickly and dying when Gabe talks to him in the Church. Gabe offers to give him a ride to the hospital which he refuses.
It is odd that the game says: "Crash's face shows signs of strangulation." Perhaps they meant "asphyxiation" which can have many causes. On the other hand maybe he was "strangled" via a voodoo doll or something.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:47 am Just finished the commentary video.
Thank ye!
notbobsmith wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:47 am To me it seems pretty clear. The poem is called "Drei Drachen" ("Three Dragons") and is written by Gabriel's grandfather. It's one of the few things that's connected to him. His clock has a dragon and the poem mentions a number so...
I remember Gabe mentioning the name of the book...! Well, damn, three dragons would make sense.
And then the three snakes, which is what I was thinking - but felt that was a stretch (as dragons and snakes both often have a serpentine feel to it).
But if the book is actually called "Drei Drachen"... that would explain more.
But curious why it's now called Drei Drachen - when, we only ever see one dragon in the vision.
notbobsmith wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:47 am 9:20 Speaking of the Internet for getting hints. What about the 1-900 number for the hint line? Do 1-900 number still exist? As for myself, I didn't really start using the Internet until I started college in 1994, though my older sister did have access at school so I saw a little bit of it before then. Even Netscape Navigator didn't exist yet. We had Mosaic. Some stuff you could access with FTP. Anyone remember Gopher? One of the things I used that for was to access Tim Lynch's text reviews of TNG episodes.
Hah, if I hadn't put my bin away - I could check if the 900 number was there.
I simply remember using the BBS - and connecting to the Sierra BBS, not just for hints, but there was a message board there too.
Long distance rates applied, which my parents were not always thrilled about.
notbobsmith wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:47 am 36:57 This might belong in your other thread with the code put I'll put it here any way. The six letter that are missing are Y,U, and M and Q,X, and Z. You don't need the last three. The other three are learned with the message at this time stamp. The message says: DJ KEEP E?ES ON GK B?T DO NOT HAR? From this you figure out what Y, U and M are.
Right - which, logically - why are those three letters (Y, U, and M) not included? Because it should be obvious what that message says - but when Gabriel decodes it, those three letters are excluded from the alphabet.
And Gabe clearly knows - because if you use any of the letters incorrectly, Gabe erases the wall and says something about it doesn't look right.
Well if it doesn't look right, why don't you just write it down Gabe? :D
notbobsmith wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:47 am 44:30 I also didn't like the underground bunker. I know the game has magic in it, but a James Bond-esque supervillain lair does seem out of place. The look of the place even has a sci-fi feel to it. I know the cult is supposed to be wealthy and powerful, but there has to be a better way of showing that.
I always forget about that part. For some reason, I always think it's in the swamp - or leads to the swamp.
And each time I come back and play it, I'm like, "Oh yeah, it's under Jackson's Square, through the Cathedral."
notbobsmith wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:47 am
It is odd that the game says: "Crash's face shows signs of strangulation." Perhaps they meant "asphyxiation" which can have many causes. On the other hand maybe he was "strangled" via a voodoo doll or something.
Asphyxiation seems like what really would have been a better word; with his coughing and such, you get the impression he's either ill, or choking.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

notbobsmith wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:47 am As for myself, I didn't really start using the Internet until I started college in 1994, though my older sister did have access at school so I saw a little bit of it before then. Even Netscape Navigator didn't exist yet. We had Mosaic. Some stuff you could access with FTP. Anyone remember Gopher? One of the things I used that for was to access Tim Lynch's text reviews of TNG episodes.
*puts hand up* I remember Gopher - but I started in college in '95, so I didn't see too much of Gopher.

Does anyone remember Eudora (the e-mail client for DOS)? I remember using it - in fact, the first email message I ever got (two weeks into college) was a scam. :lol: Someone pretending to be Bill Gates, saying how much they liked the fact that I was using Windows 95, and asking me to send them my bank details so he can deposit $1,000 in it as a reward. The best part? It was signed "Your Friend, Bill Gates". :lol:

Now, I may have been a poor college student, but I wasn't stupid. :roll: *presses "Delete"* ;)

Did you get things like this in college (or out of college)? I've seen plenty of scams since, so I surprised (but not amazed) at how many people fall for them. Isn't there a saying about a sucker and his money?
notbobsmith wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:47 am 44:30 I also didn't like the underground bunker. I know the game has magic in it, but a James Bond-esque supervillain lair does seem out of place. The look of the place even has a sci-fi feel to it. I know the cult is supposed to be wealthy and powerful, but there has to be a better way of showing that.
Hmm ... building all that would require lots of planning, time, materials, money, and a good cover story (but with enough money to throw around, some people don't even need a cover story).

Maybe there's an entrance somewhere else that we haven't been shown? (The equivalent of a goods lift or a back entrance). Or maybe I'm overthinking all this. ;) But yeah, now that you point it out, I can't help thinking about the logistics of building that bunker.

If it was simply caves instead of a bunker, it wouldn't impress us as much. Anyone can hide out in caves (e.g. Dr John's room). :) Wood would be impressive enough - oak paneling, soft lighting, marble? it could be done. It has been done - e.g. all the building work under the Colosseum in Rome shows lots of cages for animals and gladiators, loads of little rooms for various 'officials' (e.g. the doctor who patches up gladiators after a fight, the official whose job it is to separate gladiators in the arena, the latrine cleaners' room, etc.) All these things take time to build.

It took nearly 10 years to build the Colosseum. What if the cult took a similar amount of time to build their hideout? Or am I overthinking this? *blush*
notbobsmith wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:47 am
Hmm, true. Strangulation means that someone else (maybe very close) is doing the dirty work. Asphyxiation can happen in lots of different ways: poison gas (cyanide or Zyklon-B are famous examples), illegal drugs (especially combining them), drowning etc.

Strangled by a voodoo doll sounds far-fetched. I've read at least two books about ancient magic and what people believed it could do - some effects were nasty, some sympathetic - but I haven't seen remote strangling anywhere. (Not sure about voodoo or voudon; I only read about magic in the ancient Greek/Roman world, the Viking era, and the late middle ages/Renaissance. Maybe I should put voodoo on my reading list; maybe not - it might freak people out). :lol:
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:20 am Does anyone remember Eudora (the e-mail client for DOS)?
I still have all of my Eudora MBX [mailbox] files from 1995 to ~2004 before I switched to a browser-based Email program. Nice to have them archived.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:20 am Strangled by a voodoo doll sounds far-fetched. I've read at least two books about ancient magic and what people believed it could do - some effects were nasty, some sympathetic - but I haven't seen remote strangling anywhere. (Not sure about voodoo or voudon; I only read about magic in the ancient Greek/Roman world, the Viking era, and the late middle ages/Renaissance. Maybe I should put voodoo on my reading list; maybe not - it might freak people out). :lol:
How does it sound far fetched? Especially for Voodoo Dolls? Voodoo dolls were believed, if you got some personal item of the person (which, with Crash working closely with them) - you could run a pin through the doll with the item entwined, and cause them immense pain. Why would it be hard to believe that they tied a noose around a Voodoo doll that had a lock of Crash's hair and strangled him that way?

I love that that's far fetched to you, but a base under the square isn't...!

Random googles...
https://www.quora.com/Can-a-voodoo-doll-kill-someone
Tracey LeMaster
Mystic, Psychic Medium, Reader, Spiritual Advisor (1987–present)Author has 176 answers and 307.3K answer views1y
How is a voodoo doll activated?
As a Voodoo practioner I can assure you that you do not need hair or blood or any such thing to “activate” a doll. You can do something as simple as name the doll for intent. Having something personal can certainly be best but not necessary. You name the doll and dress it with whatever items you do have, you do this with a lit candle and ask the ancestors to assist you and accept this name. I call upon Papa Legba to assist me. Intent and ma infesting are key.
Can a voodoo doll kill someone?
Lin Piano
Former commercial agent at Entel4y
I would say, yes it can. As the other answer say, not the doll per se would be the reason, but the work and effort you put in the target. And don't forget the power of suggestion, you could put any common doll at someones doorstep and if they are superstitious they will basically scare themselves to death or even get sick.
And these are "based in reality" (so to speak) of people who believe in a Voodoo Doll's nature.

Give Crash's clearly drugged out state, and state of fear when Mosley has him, if he'd seen a Voodoo Doll with a noose around its neck, with his hair, I could easily see him "suffocating" to death out of fear.

Then the Voodoo folks take it and head into the confessional booth and slip away.

Leaving Crash, who died of fear, believing he'd been strangled, thanks to the Voodoo Doll.

Not that hard to believe...

When apparently Dragons can talk to Gabriel.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:52 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:20 am Strangled by a voodoo doll sounds far-fetched. I've read at least two books about ancient magic and what people believed it could do - some effects were nasty, some sympathetic - but I haven't seen remote strangling anywhere. (Not sure about voodoo or voudon; I only read about magic in the ancient Greek/Roman world, the Viking era, and the late middle ages/Renaissance. Maybe I should put voodoo on my reading list; maybe not - it might freak people out). :lol:
How does it sound far fetched? Especially for Voodoo Dolls? Voodoo dolls were believed, if you got some personal item of the person (which, with Crash working closely with them) - you could run a pin through the doll with the item entwined, and cause them immense pain. Why would it be hard to believe that they tied a noose around a Voodoo doll that had a lock of Crash's hair and strangled him that way?
It took me a moment to figure out that I wasn't the one who said the quote above. Slight error in editing. :)

But yeah. Unless popular culture is wrong about voodoo dolls and actual voodoo practitioners say "No one believes a voodoo doll can kill someone" a voodoo doll being used to kill someone is consistent with the game.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:54 pm It took me a moment to figure out that I wasn't the one who said the quote above. Slight error in editing. :)
Fixed. I was replying to your as the latest so I had Rath's in there too... and it got messy. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Welp, I was wrong. I admit it. Clearly I need to read more about voodoo/vodoun. ;)

In my defense, I usually associate voodoo and voodoo dolls with Monkey Island, especially MI2. Voodoo there is ... humorous. (Horrible things happen, but nobody dies). :lol:

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”