Had Gabriel Knight Continued...

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Had Gabriel Knight Continued...

Post by Tawmis »

... what are some things you would have liked to have seen?

Maybe story wise?
Character wise?
Voice actors?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Had Gabriel Knight Continued...

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Um. https://www.change.org/p/activision-pub ... 4-petition :lol:

Story-wise, I would love to see Gabriel investigate the story of the death of Sitting Bull. (I started writing a stereotypical "boiled monologue" detective investigating this ages ago, but it was full of stereotypes about detectives. *blush* I'm sure Jane can do a better job than me!)

Character-wise? Perhaps Grace could go to the National Archives and inform Gabriel (and the player, in brief) of the story. And they could travel to the Dakota territory! :D What might they find? I don't know, but I'm sure it'll be interesting. And fun! :D

Villains? Take your pick. Local families, not keen on some out-of-towners digging embarrassing stuff up about their great-great-great-grandfathers (who were the sheriff/governor/whatever at the time). The government? Whoever picked up the slack after the Bureau of Indian Affairs was disbanded? ;) They'd be keen on a cover-up too. Nothing embarrasses the government like embarrassing historical stuff.

Voice actors? I'm not sure. My first pick for Gabriel was Tim Curry, but he's obviously not available. :( Too bad. Speaking of Tim Curry: Trailer for "The Making of Clue" (on IMDB) :D

Who else? Madeline Kahn would be brilliant as Grace ... but obviously she's not available. :( Hmm. Whoever you get, PLEASE don't give the job to music stars who think they can act. I'm looking at you, Madonna ... and Mariah Carey ... and Jennifer Lopez ... and Vanilla Ice. *taps foot sternly* :P :twisted:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:37 am Um. https://www.change.org/p/activision-pub ... 4-petition :lol:
Story-wise, I would love to see Gabriel investigate the story of the death of Sitting Bull. (I started writing a stereotypical "boiled monologue" detective investigating this ages ago, but it was full of stereotypes about detectives. *blush* I'm sure Jane can do a better job than me!)
Usually the stories have a super natural feel; what would you explore with Sitting Bull that would lend to the supernatural feel of the previous three?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Well, the years leading up to Sitting Bull's death were pretty mysterious. The Ghost Dance movement, the bullet-proof vests he created, all that.

Plus, there's the fact that no-one knows why Sitting Bull died. The Sioux claimed that the Indian Police murdered him. The bare facts are these:

On December 15, 1890, Indian police woke the sleeping Sitting Bull in his prison bed at 6 a.m. When he refused to go quietly, a crowd gathered. A young man shot a member of the Indian police, who retaliated by shooting Sitting Bull in the head and chest. Sitting Bull died instantly from the gunshot wounds.

Who was in that crowd? Who shot at the Indian police? Why? Why did the Indian police shoot Sitting Bull, specifically, and not the crowd? There are many questions, and not enough answers.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:29 am Well, the years leading up to Sitting Bull's death were pretty mysterious. The Ghost Dance movement, the bullet-proof vests he created, all that.
Plus, there's the fact that no-one knows why Sitting Bull died. The Sioux claimed that the Indian Police murdered him. The bare facts are these:
On December 15, 1890, Indian police woke the sleeping Sitting Bull in his prison bed at 6 a.m. When he refused to go quietly, a crowd gathered. A young man shot a member of the Indian police, who retaliated by shooting Sitting Bull in the head and chest. Sitting Bull died instantly from the gunshot wounds.
Who was in that crowd? Who shot at the Indian police? Why? Why did the Indian police shoot Sitting Bull, specifically, and not the crowd? There are many questions, and not enough answers.
Um, according to Wikipedia it wasn't a stranger - but two Indian Police.
Because of fears that Sitting Bull would use his influence to support the Ghost Dance movement, Indian Service agent James McLaughlin at Fort Yates ordered his arrest. During an ensuing struggle between Sitting Bull's followers and the agency police, Sitting Bull was shot in the side and head by Standing Rock policemen Lieutenant Bull Head and Red Tomahawk, after the police were fired upon by Sitting Bull's supporters.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

All right, clearly I don't know as much about Sitting Bull as I thought I remembered. Oops. *blush*

Let's try another historical mystery, with a horror twist.

How about the legend of Sawney Bean? :twisted: Important note: there is not sufficient evidence that this story ever happened for real, but it's become part of the folklore of Edinburgh, Scotland. (Also, I'm censoring parts of this legend that are too gruesome ... in case anyone's having dinner).

According to the legend (link: wikipedia), the Bean clan was a clan of about 45 people living in late-1500s Scotland. They preyed on travellers, whom they robbed, murdered and eaten. After nearly 1,000 people suffered this fate, they tried to ambush a strong knight, who fought them off and informed the king of Scotland (most likely James VI of Scotland, aka James I of England). James led a raiding party to where the Bean clan was staying, where he found evidence of cannibalism. The entire clan was arrested and executed.

So far, so folklore.

One strand of this entire sorry tale is that when this story was taken to a magistrate or two, they refused to do anything. Why? Because they couldn't believe anyone human would do something like this. It must have been werewolves! :twisted:

It's up to Gabriel and Grace to travel to Scotland and separate fact from fiction. How does that sound? :D

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”