If King's Quest would have continued...

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

If King's Quest would have continued...

Post by Tawmis »

... what are some things you would have liked to have seen?

Maybe story wise?
Character wise?
Voice actors?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: If King's Quest would have continued...

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Firstly, I'd have liked to have erased "Mask of Eternity".

I haven't played KQ7, and I can't remember the rest of KQ well enough to be able to comment.

All the KQ games seem to be standalones, rather than a story told over a series of games. This wasn't helped by the fact that in two games you play Graham, then Alexander, then Rosella, then Graham again, then Alexander ... ay-yi-yi.

In Quest for Glory, you build your hero and stick with him over 5 games, so you build a kind of connection with him. In KQ, you jump from character to character every game, so you don't really learn much about them except "I'm the good guy/girl, and I'm here to save my family! RAH FOR ME!"

It's too bad. I'd love to see some KQ games that take you through a character progression like the QfG hero's. But then, KQ seems to have always been more for kids; i.e. there was no combat (not in the traditional sense) or references to drugs (like QfG) or other stuff. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:48 am Firstly, I'd have liked to have erased "Mask of Eternity".
All the KQ games seem to be standalones, rather than a story told over a series of games. This wasn't helped by the fact that in two games you play Graham, then Alexander, then Rosella, then Graham again, then Alexander ... ay-yi-yi.
In Quest for Glory, you build your hero and stick with him over 5 games, so you build a kind of connection with him. In KQ, you jump from character to character every game, so you don't really learn much about them except "I'm the good guy/girl, and I'm here to save my family! RAH FOR ME!"
The only real stand alone games are King's Quest 1 and King's Quest 2.
Beginning King's Quest 3 to 7, the games are all very connected.
King's Quest III we learn it's Graham's son. King's Quest IV, Rosella goes on a quest because her father is sick.
King's Quest V, Graham is back on a quest because his family has disappeared. In King's Quest VI, Alexander is looking for (what's her name) from King's Quest V.
In King's Quest VII, Rosella ends up in the other side (followed by her mother, from King's Quest 2) and we meet a few characters from King's Quest IV (well, what's his name, Lorettea's or whatever's son).

So really... NONE of the King's Quests are stand alones?
Because King's Quest 1 puts Graham on the throne.
King's Quest 2 he goes on a quest to meet his wife.
King's Quest 3 is about their son.
King's Quest 4 is their daughter going on a quest for their father's health.
SO on and so on.

So, yeah. I don't really see King's Quest as stand alone.

As opposed to Quest for Glory, to me, feels more "stand alone." Because each one - you can start QFG2, without knowledge of QFG1 and roll a NEW character (if you will) without needing to import.
Same for the rest. Yes, if you play the others, you get the story. But the HERO never truly grows (no wife, no love interest, no kids, no idea where HIS home is, etc).
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

Honestly, I wouldn’t have minded seeing another dual protagonist entry like KQ7. Perhaps alternating play between Alexander and Graham. Not that you’d want the story to be too repetitive of 7, but one element I really liked about that game was both women visiting the same locations for different purposes.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:11 pm Honestly, I wouldn’t have minded seeing another dual protagonist entry like KQ7. Perhaps alternating play between Alexander and Graham. Not that you’d want the story to be too repetitive of 7, but one element I really liked about that game was both women visiting the same locations for different purposes.
Yes! I would have loved that. I thought that was a great aspect for both KQ7 and LSL3.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

True ... but Larry and Patti don't visit the same locations in LSL3. (Would be nice if they did, though - and maybe left an item or two behind for the other person to use!) :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:39 am True ... but Larry and Patti don't visit the same locations in LSL3. (Would be nice if they did, though - and maybe left an item or two behind for the other person to use!) :)
Don't they? Before they begin their adventure into the jungle, they both move around the town?
It's not much, but they do.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Oh, you're right! :) Just watching that playthorugh, and I had a few questions:

1. What is that savegame called "Can we walk outside naked"? It sounds .............. interesting? :?

2. In the bamboo maze, can't you wait to give Patti water until she is on her hands and knees? (Larry, shush! You and your dirty mind!) :P

3. In the bamboo maze, you've used the water more than once. I thought that was impossible (since Patti throws the bottle away)?

Thanks! (And yes, Larry tans ... while wearing his leisure suit. Why? How does he not sweat like a pig? I have no idea) ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:04 pm Oh, you're right! :) Just watching that playthorugh, and I had a few questions:
1. What is that savegame called "Can we walk outside naked"? It sounds .............. interesting? :?
2. In the bamboo maze, can't you wait to give Patti water until she is on her hands and knees? (Larry, shush! You and your dirty mind!) :P
3. In the bamboo maze, you've used the water more than once. I thought that was impossible (since Patti throws the bottle away)?
Thanks! (And yes, Larry tans ... while wearing his leisure suit. Why? How does he not sweat like a pig? I have no idea) ;)
1. I was testing out to see if something could be done. :D
2. Yes. But it's not much longer before she dies.
3. I can't remember. I think you can drink it a few times, before it's out. So you have to wait very last minute.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:43 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:04 pm 1. What is that savegame called "Can we walk outside naked"? It sounds .............. interesting? :?
1. I was testing out to see if something could be done. :D
OK, now I'm even more intrigued. What were you trying to test? :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

So having replayed King's Quest 2 ... my mind came back to this thread.

So I know there's King's Quest novels (like The Floating Castle, or See No Weevil (DEAR GAWD! 250 dollars?!?!?) and Kingdom of Sorrow), none of which I read - but this Wiki shows how Valanice was in some (all?) of those stories.

But I got to thinking how she's technically a princess of her own land Kolyma, and how it would have been cool to see Alexander and/or Rosella head to that land to see more of it.

I also got to thinking about Neptune, in King's Quest 2, and how cool it would have been to have some kind of underwater adventure - a very, EcoQuest type vibe.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

King's Quest: Absent Lakes, the Cart Goes Further. A wizard drains all the lakes in Daventry for some bizarre wizardly reason. Unless they all pay him pots and pots of money, everyone in Daventry will die of thirst! Mwa-ha-ha! :twisted:

The <eeevil> plot is foiled when this means that trade carts, which could not travel through lakes before, can do so now. And they bring back lots of water for people to drink. So everyone has a drink, and thumb their nose at the wizard. Nyah nyah! Phhhhhbbbbbttt! :P

(OK, probably not like that. ;) But hey, it's fun to imagine)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Was also thinking... I think Red Riding Hood's grandmother had a relationship with Dracula (perhaps before he turned)... because when you give her the soup, she tells you to get the items beneath her bed... which is a ring and cloak... and when you wear them the death boat guy thinks you're someone else... the ghosts at the door think you're someone else... clearly thinking you're Dracula.

So I feel like there's a story there. Were they lovers? And he loved her so much he got into some dark stuff that turned him into a vampire, but she refused to go the dark path? As such, when she fled, she had his ring on, and took his cloak, for the weather?

There's a story there, damn it. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:32 am Was also thinking... I think Red Riding Hood's grandmother had a relationship with Dracula (perhaps before he turned)... because when you give her the soup, she tells you to get the items beneath her bed... which is a ring and cloak... and when you wear them the death boat guy thinks you're someone else... the ghosts at the door think you're someone else... clearly thinking you're Dracula.

So I feel like there's a story there. Were they lovers? And he loved her so much he got into some dark stuff that turned him into a vampire, but she refused to go the dark path? As such, when she fled, she had his ring on, and took his cloak, for the weather?

Are you saying that Granny is the reason that Dracula became a vampire? "Two! Ah, ah, ah. Two fangs!" (Whoops, wrong vampire) :twisted:

They weren't necessarily lovers. Maybe, in Granny's earlier years, she vaz (sorry, was) kidnapped by Dracula to become his undead bride! :twisted: But she kicked him right in ze the unmentionables and fled ze the castle! And she took his ring and his cloak, because she knew it vould would make him angry. Oooooh, she had made him very angry. Very angry, indeed ... ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:50 pm
Tawmis wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:32 am Was also thinking... I think Red Riding Hood's grandmother had a relationship with Dracula (perhaps before he turned)... because when you give her the soup, she tells you to get the items beneath her bed... which is a ring and cloak... and when you wear them the death boat guy thinks you're someone else... the ghosts at the door think you're someone else... clearly thinking you're Dracula.

Are you saying that Granny is the reason that Dracula became a vampire? "Two! Ah, ah, ah. Two fangs!" (Whoops, wrong vampire) :twisted:

They weren't necessarily lovers. Maybe, in Granny's earlier years, she vaz (sorry, was) kidnapped by Dracula to become his undead bride! :twisted: But she kicked him right in ze the unmentionables and fled ze the castle! And she took his ring and his cloak, because she knew it vould would make him angry. Oooooh, she had made him very angry. Very angry, indeed ... ;)
Also could be. I just think (because that's how my brain is wired!) - there has to be a story behind why she has TWO of Dracula's possessions.

Return to “The King's Quest Series”