Favorite of the Series?

Caught in your own cuffs? Need a hint? Or just want to talk about Police Quest - this is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Favorite of the Series?

Post by Tawmis »

So if you had to pick a favorite from the PQ series - which one would it be and why?
And do you have a least favorite? What makes it so?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Favorite of the Series?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

PQ1 is good, but I liked PQ2 better (because of the "80s buddy-film" vibe between Sonny and Keith).

I disliked PQ3. It telegraphs that your patrol-buddy is a bad person right away. Also, the voodoo angle is waaay too strong.

My least favourite is still PQ4. The FMV doesn't work, there are lots of cliches (yo man, dis is mah 'hood, ya dig?), and to top it all off, I never finished the damn thing. :(
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:42 pm PQ1 is good, but I liked PQ2 better (because of the "80s buddy-film" vibe between Sonny and Keith).
I disliked PQ3. It telegraphs that your patrol-buddy is a bad person right away. Also, the voodoo angle is waaay too strong.
My least favourite is still PQ4. The FMV doesn't work, there are lots of cliches (yo man, dis is mah 'hood, ya dig?), and to top it all off, I never finished the damn thing. :(
Now we are of opposites. PQ3 was my favorite of the series; I enjoyed that 80's horror vibe. (Still upset about the rose bug at he end).

PQ4 would be my least (not just because of the stereotypes) - but also because it was disconnected from the rest of the series. Over all, it's a good game, and very realistic.

So if I were to rule out PQ4, I'd say PQ1 was my least. And for no good reason. Just over all the weakest in the three that deal with Sonny.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

PQ1. I liked the progression from writing a traffic ticket to arresting a DUI to finally getting involved in the plot. The murder investigation in PQ2 was done well. But I just did not like the cult murders of PQ3 and the partner betrayal subplot.

I liked the realism of PQ4 at first, but when they later abandon it, it had an "uncanny valley" feel to it. The more real they try to make it, the more the absurd stuff stands out. Plus I don't think they ever gave a convincing resolution to what was going on.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

notbobsmith wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:39 pm PQ1. I liked the progression from writing a traffic ticket to arresting a DUI to finally getting involved in the plot. The murder investigation in PQ2 was done well. But I just did not like the cult murders of PQ3 and the partner betrayal subplot.
I agree. I don't think they ever gave a convincing reason for your partner to betray you, other than "for the EVULZ". :? :roll:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:39 pm But I just did not like the cult murders of PQ3 and the partner betrayal subplot.
Heh, one of my favorite movies is Spellbinder. While not cops, the betrayal comes from someone close and has a great twist at the end.

Also Kelly Preston is beautiful. :D

Return to “The Police Quest Series”