Favorite of the Series?

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Favorite of the Series?

Post by Tawmis »

So if you had to pick a favorite from the QFG series - which one would it be and why?
And do you have a least favorite? What makes it so?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Favorite of the Series?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

It's hard to say. My favourite here is a tie between QfG2 and QfG4. I really, really like the Arabian nights setting, the plot, and how difficult some parts can be in QfG2.

I also like QfG4 because I love the east-European setting, the plot, and the voice-acting. (And yes, some parts are very difficult ... which makes it satisfying to beat them!) :D

My least favourite is probably QfG3. I didn't like the constant grinding (e.g. the spear throwing, the battle-bridge). You can skip it if you're a thief or wizard, but if you're a fighter or paladin, you can't skip it because you'll have to do it in the Simbani competition.

On the other hand, the setting is great, the characters are good, and the plot is nice. So, there's that. :)

QfG5 is ... odd. The 3D thing doesn't do much for me. (Of course, when I first got the game, I played it obsessively. Now? Not so much). ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:46 pm It's hard to say. My favourite here is a tie between QfG2 and QfG4. I really, really like the Arabian nights setting, the plot, and how difficult some parts can be in QfG2.
I also like QfG4 because I love the east-European setting, the plot, and the voice-acting. (And yes, some parts are very difficult ... which makes it satisfying to beat them!) :D
My least favourite is probably QfG3. I didn't like the constant grinding (e.g. the spear throwing, the battle-bridge). You can skip it if you're a thief or wizard, but if you're a fighter or paladin, you can't skip it because you'll have to do it in the Simbani competition.
On the other hand, the setting is great, the characters are good, and the plot is nice. So, there's that. :)
QfG5 is ... odd. The 3D thing doesn't do much for me. (Of course, when I first got the game, I played it obsessively. Now? Not so much). ;)
Favorite, easily QFG1. It's the only I replayed the most.
Least, probably QFG2. I hated the maze city - and moving through there. The hall thing was a nightmare.

QFG5, I don't think I ever got more than 1 hour into it (if I did, I have zero memory of it). So I can't be fair and say that one.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Probably QFG2. Facing the elementals made it feel like you were a real hero for the first time. Plus liberating Raseir and stopping Iblis. I liked the setting and all the characters that were introduced.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:51 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:46 pm It's hard to say. My favourite here is a tie between QfG2 and QfG4. I really, really like the Arabian nights setting, the plot, and how difficult some parts can be in QfG2.
Least, probably QFG2. I hated the maze city - and moving through there. The hall thing was a nightmare.

QFG5, I don't think I ever got more than 1 hour into it (if I did, I have zero memory of it). So I can't be fair and say that one.
Sorry, what hall thing are you talking about? *puzzled*

As for the maze city ... that's the copy protection. ;) You can always navigate it -- you have a map in the box. :) Plus, there's an easy way:

1. You need a map;
2. You need a money changer to buy the map. But you don't know where she is.
3. You could ask the map seller, but his directions are no good.
4. Walk into the hallway and simply go up. You'll soon reach another plaza.
4. Ask Sloree and Scoree (the katta salespeople). They will tell you the name of the street where she is.
5. Once you've changed your money, you can buy a map and navigate around Shapeir effortlessly. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:48 pm
Tawmis wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:51 pm

Sorry, what hall thing are you talking about? *puzzled*

As for the maze city ... that's the copy protection. ;) You can always navigate it -- you have a map in the box. :) Plus, there's an easy way:

1. You need a map;
2. You need a money changer to buy the map. But you don't know where she is.
3. You could ask the map seller, but his directions are no good.
4. Walk into the hallway and simply go up. You'll soon reach another plaza.
4. Ask Sloree and Scoree (the katta salespeople). They will tell you the name of the street where she is.
5. Once you've changed your money, you can buy a map and navigate around Shapeir effortlessly. :)
The hall is the is the maze city.
And yes, I get the money changer and getting a map.
But it's such a pain in the arse. Every time I load it up. Even looking at the big map.
I usually exit the game within 10 minutes.
I can't stand QFG2 because of this.
When I have the tolerance to make it to the money exchanger and all that to get the map.

But by then, the way the hero moves through the hall - if you miss the door - you need to turn around and now the map needs to turn too.

It's #$%*ing ridiculous.

I would have much preferred the KQ4 method of, "Oh, I can tell you ABC, but before I do - can you remind me what the 5th word, 2nd paragraph, on page 3 of the hero's manual says? I need to write that down."
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

One thing that I found odd about the city "halls" is that they look like they are indoors which I don't think is supposed to be the case. These are city streets/alleys and should be out in the open. Even the plazas don't show they sky. The result is that it looks like you are wandering around a giant shopping mall.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. Have you tried the QfG2 remake? They show the "corridors" and things as open to the sky. :)

I'm not sure that they should be open to the sky. What would happen if it rained? ;) Sure, it doesn't rain much in a desert. But hey, it could happen! :P

More seriously, if everything was open to the sky, everyone's brains would get cooked. Shapeir and Raseir are seriously HOT.

It's funny, I never thought Shapeir was unrealistic. But then, I've been to Middle Eastern cities like Jerusalem, which Shapeir is (perhaps consciously) trying to copy the "feeling" of. In Jerusalem, you get awnings covering the streets. (See here - how pretty). :)

Also, Shapeir never reminded me of a shopping mall. If anything, it kind of reminded me of a giant maze, like D&D.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:52 am I'm not sure that they should be open to the sky. What would happen if it rained? ;) Sure, it doesn't rain much in a desert. But hey, it could happen! :P
More seriously, if everything was open to the sky, everyone's brains would get cooked. Shapeir and Raseir are seriously HOT.
If the map is to be believed, it's wide open alleys. If you look at most "Middle Eastern" cities, they're also a series of large buildings and alleyways, so why would Shapeir be different? The idea of these massive long halls with a roof on them covering the entire city seems odd - and only the plaza areas being open.

This is literally what I think those streets SHOULD look like:

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Well, it was released in 1990. Presumably, graphics technology in the EGA days wasn't as sophisticated as it is now. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:03 am Well, it was released in 1990. Presumably, graphics technology in the EGA days wasn't as sophisticated as it is now. ;)
I mean that there should be no ongoing ceiling in those hall ways.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm. Well, there is a ceiling in the picture you posted ... it just opens up into a sun-lit little stretch of road. :)

Maybe Sierra couldn't afford to show this in the EGA days? I guess it's still difficult to do that now, although I'm pretty sure that in games like Skyrim, you can show that. But graphically, it's intensive - the contrast between light and shade.

Here it is during the day:

And at night:

Is it possible to show PART of the scene in daylight and part in the shade, or the sun moving across the sky slowly, and the shade slowly increasing and the sunlight slowly decreasing? Possibly now it is. But try doing it with early 1990s technology. Was it possible? I don't know. You'd know more than me. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:15 am Hmm. Well, there is a ceiling in the picture you posted ... it just opens up into a sun-lit little stretch of road. :)
Maybe Sierra couldn't afford to show this in the EGA days? I guess it's still difficult to do that now, although I'm pretty sure that in games like Skyrim, you can show that. But graphically, it's intensive - the contrast between light and shade.
Is it possible to show PART of the scene in daylight and part in the shade, or the sun moving across the sky slowly, and the shade slowly increasing and the sunlight slowly decreasing? Possibly now it is. But try doing it with early 1990s technology. Was it possible? I don't know. You'd know more than me. ;)
You don't need to show the sky - but you can clearly see there's no "ceiling" with how the area is lit in the daytime.
So you don't need to show the sky - but the halls are clearly always dark (above you) showing there's a ceiling the entire time.
Unlike the picture I posted which is mostly uncovered and there may be small gaps of a ceiling from time to time.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmmm, all right. But at least the two screenshots above show the scene in broad daylight and at night, right? ;)

TBH, the bits in between the plazas remind me of a D&D-style dungeon-crawler (a very old one, sure ... think late 70s style) ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:14 pm TBH, the bits in between the plazas remind me of a D&D-style dungeon-crawler (a very old one, sure ... think late 70s style) ;)
Most Dungeon Crawlers (computer wise) were top down/side ways - like Pool of Radiance. But most of them had built in MAPS (press "M" for example) that would pull up the map and show you where you are.

However, Wizardry - which, I admittedly loved was indeed like that - but it was also grid based, so it was very easy (and back then) fun to make a map.

Wizardry 6 was a huge leap in graphic quality...

Then by Wizardry 7, dungeons were minimal and it was mostly exterior (same as Wizardry 8).

But in terms of actual D&D - yes, back then - D&D was a mess of random dungeons. And I loved it back then (D&D, that is). But so thankful it's grown the way it has to focus more on story and less on "death waits behind this door." :D

Return to “The Quest for Glory Series”