Let's Play Sierra Games - Quest for Glory II

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Let's Play Sierra Games - Quest for Glory II

Post by Tawmis »

... is next?

Right?

RIGHT?

Wait... a ... minute... guys! Guys! Something's wrong!

(Rath this one's for you!) :lol:

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Let's Play Sierra Games - Quest for Glory II

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I liked the introduction. "No, wait, it's the wrong one." :lol: How did you rewind that? *curious*

And ... aww, I was hoping to see you enter Shapeir. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:28 am I liked the introduction. "No, wait, it's the wrong one." :lol: How did you rewind that? *curious*
And ... aww, I was hoping to see you enter Shapeir. :)
Done with video editing. Take the clip - separate video from audio. Play the video in reverse, but keep the audio normal. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Good news - googled someone's in game map (screenshot) of Shapier to know where the locations were (MUCH MUCH more useful than the city map with the game).

Found money maker - and back to buy compass and map (and only briefly got lost once).

Been aimlessly wandering since using the map to get around.

Bad news -

Now I remember something else I HATE about QFG2.

When you're in the desert (walking south, screen wise, so down towards you) - it does that thing where it FLIPS the direction.

So you see yourself forward.

A few screen later, you see your BACK (and walking away).

I was trying to MAP the damn desert - and when it did that - I assumed I looped the desert, and was at the bottom being turned around.

Not the case.

For some DUMB ASS reason - they randomly along the same line have your character TURN AROUND and don't EXPLAIN IT.

Didn't notice for sure till I looked at my compass.

That's asinine.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Maybe this would help ... :) Sierra Chest QfG2: Maps :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Yeah - I used the screenshot city map for sake of sanity until I got to the money changer and map maker.
But been mapping everything else in the desert on my own. (That way I wander, and encounter monsters, and get coin and skills, rather than going directly to the points of interest). I use the comic book backing boards as the maps I draw on.

Since I no longer collect comics and have like 200 of these boards. It's what I did with Police Quest and all that too. :D
The one I am writing all the QFG2 names that get mentioned is the notes from Codename: Iceman board...
Has:
A=0, B=8, C=6, etc., for the codes needed
And the decided messages: H-B-G etc. :D
Back side of that has notes, from either Police Quest or Blue Force...
10-1 = Bad Reception
10-2 = Good Reception, etc

Also has the GK1 drum codes on there for Summon, Warn, Engage, etc. :D

I make good use of these boards now. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Um, I don't get it. :? The image you posted doesn't show up?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:59 pm Um, I don't get it. :? The image you posted doesn't show up?
It doesn't? It's an ebay item of comic boards...
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/T2sAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

Is a direct link to it (I see it in my previous post).

Anyway, I draw my maps on those comic book boards. :D And that's where I scribble my notes.
I should just scan the one I am currently scribbling on so you see what I mean. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Ah, now I can see what you mean. (I'm not sure what a comic book board is, though - but it basically looks like bits of paper, so I can imagine it). ;)

Yep, please scan the one you're scribbling. It should be interesting. :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:05 am Ah, now I can see what you mean. (I'm not sure what a comic book board is, though - but it basically looks like bits of paper, so I can imagine it). ;)
Yep, please scan the one you're scribbling. It should be interesting. :D
It's thicker than paper - not as thick as cardboard itself, but has the same durability.
It's essentially the prevent comics from being bent when you put them in comic book bags. Before the comic backings came into being a thing, it was easy to put a comic in a comic box, then another comic behind it, without realizing it was resting on the bottom of the previous comic, causing the previous comic to be bent near the bottom. Also made it so if you took a comic out of a comic book box that it wasn't bending the spine (far more common, the older the comic is, as some of those comics may be extremely fragile).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I will scan the thing I am using for notes after work today and post it here. I'll scan front and back as both sides are scribbled with Sierra related notes.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Side note - another aspect I didn't care for QFGII was the desert over all - because it's so plain.
So... visually it's boring.
Just yellow.
With an occasional cactus or rock.
So it does make it hard to map, in that respect to (on top of flipping you around moving up/down on the screen at a certain point).

So I wanted from the city - straight down till I hit the mountain wall - so I knew the length - and then started mapping the width.

Just beat the Fire Elemental.

That was a bit of muscle memory.

But... unless I missed it... otherwise it's not clear about what to do with the lamp to capture it.

But I remembered from eons ago.

I did forget the water what I did it the first time.

And died once, trying to lure it away (forgot needed to go in the hallway?) Was trying to keep it in the original area, since there was nothing to burn there.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hint: Talk to Aziza about the elementals, and then talk to her about each one individually. She gives explicit hints. :D

As for the desert ... gee, I'm surprised that the desert bored you because it was all samey-samey. ;) The forest in Spielburg is also samey-samey, but I don't recall it boring you ... possibly because there was more to do there? :) Mages can get a few spells there, all three classes can help the druid, fighters can build up muscle by fighting goblins, and thieves .......................... gee. What can thieves do in the forest? :? Maybe that's cos thieves are more of an 'urban' class ...

*sings to the tune of "My Favourite Things" from "The Sound of Music"*

Break into houses and stealing a trifle,
Meeting a sheriff not armed with a rifle,
Sneaking around and not meeting some twins -
These are some of a rogue's favourite things! ;)

But I agree, there's not so much to do in the desert. You can help Julanar, get a griffin's feather for the dispel potion, help Al Scurva, and get a beard piece from the dervish. That's about it, unless you want to fight giant scorpions and ghouls so you can sell their parts to the apothecary for some money. ;) But wizards and thieves don't have anything class-specific to do in the desert.

**********SPOILER ALERT!**********

If you're a wizard, you should find WIT; if you're a thief, you should find the thieves' guild. *hint hint* :P

**********SPOILER ALERT!**********

(Not much of a spoiler, is it?) ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:15 am Hint: Talk to Aziza about the elementals, and then talk to her about each one individually. She gives explicit hints. :D
She wasn't the one who gives the hint on how to defeat the Fire Elemental.
It was the guy who makes the healing pills. Because he has that bowl of fire thing.
And he talks about the vanity of fire with incense.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:15 am As for the desert ... gee, I'm surprised that the desert bored you because it was all samey-samey. ;) The forest in Spielburg is also samey-samey, but I don't recall it boring you ... possibly because there was more to do there? :)
The forests aren't the same. I am sure some screens are - but the woods are drawn differently on almost all the screens. Making it much easier to map out.

And it could be the variety of colors in the forest, compared to the desert in QFG2. It's literally just ... yellow.
With the occassional small brown twig, or small green and pink cactus.
Side note...
Why is it at night, you get messages that the desert is so hot you're parched?
Deserts typically are considerably cooler at night.
Also lame, as far as I can tell, that you can't harvest water from the occassional cactus.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:15 am But I agree, there's not so much to do in the desert. You can help Julanar, get a griffin's feather for the dispel potion, help Al Scurva, and get a beard piece from the dervish. That's about it, unless you want to fight giant scorpions and ghouls so you can sell their parts to the apothecary for some money. ;) But wizards and thieves don't have anything class-specific to do in the desert.
I already got the griffon feather, which was anticlimatic.
Literally under a rock on the floor? I totally remember there being more to it. But maybe I wasn't playing the fighter before. It's odd because when it says it's under a rock - I assumed by the nest. I couldn't see it. I just typed "get feather" and he lifts a rock next to the nest on the floor... :roll:

And gah - I had not heard about the beard piece. (I found the guy... but wasn't sure what his purpose was, because I couldn't remember, other than being annoying with his responses)

Don't suggest anything quest wise, because even if it's in a spoiler tag - I will see it when I quote the post. :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:05 am Yep, please scan the one you're scribbling. It should be interesting. :D
Front and back of the comic boards where I've scribbled notes.
The red, as ye can see is QFG2 notes on names to talk and ask about.
Attachments
Image2.png
Image1.png

Return to “The Quest for Glory Series”