Let's Play Sierra Games - Quest for Glory II

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Let's Play Sierra Games - Quest for Glory II

Post by Tawmis »

Took three of them and did some edits of my own. Enjoy!
Attachments
02_weapon_seller.mp3
(123.67 KiB) Downloaded 1056 times
00_training.mp3
(64.49 KiB) Downloaded 1049 times
00_evil_ad_avis.mp3
(72.24 KiB) Downloaded 987 times
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Rath -- Nice pictures for QFG3, but my Typeface OCD would not allow me to remain quiet: that's not the font used in QFG3. ;)

Here's my version:
https://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/s ... _menu_font

(Look at my sample picture in the comment section of that page.)

If you don't want to create a FontStruct account, I will upload it here for download when I get home from work.
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:45 am ==================
Astrologer:
Just a moment. I'm doing a very important derivation right now.

Let's see now, if the moon is in the seventh house (mumble, mumble)...

... hmm... and Jupiter aligns with Mars (mumble, mumble)...

... then peace shall guide our planet and love ...?!

Naw, it'll never happen.

Now what was it you needed to know?
==================
Most people may know this, but some may not: the astrologer's dialogue here is a reference to, and variation of, the first verse of the song "Age of Aquarius" from the 1967 musical "Hair".

"When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars"

In 1969, it was a #1 hit in the US by the American soul/R&B group, the 5th Dimension, when paired with a second song from the musical and released as "Medley: Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In (The Flesh Failures)":
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

goatmeal wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:54 am Most people may know this, but some may not: the astrologer's dialogue here is a reference to, and variation of, the first verse of the song "Age of Aquarius" from the 1967 musical "Hair".
"When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars"

In 1969, it was a #1 hit in the US by the American soul/R&B group, the 5th Dimension, when paired with a second song from the musical and released as "Medley: Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In (The Flesh Failures)":
I had no idea. And I am even old. Though the song predates my birth. Good to know there's some reference the Coles were making.
Because the character felt, otherwise, useless.
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Tawmis wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:10 pm I had no idea. And I am even old. Though the song predates my birth. Good to know there's some reference the Coles were making.
Because the character felt, otherwise, useless.
I think we're just about the same age, Tawmis, so it also pre-dates me, but all my dad listened when I was growing up was pop music from the late '50s through the early '70s, so I knew that one instantly! :)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Of course it comes from the musical "Hair"

01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

goatmeal wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:37 am Rath -- Nice pictures for QFG3, but my Typeface OCD would not allow me to remain quiet: that's not the font used in QFG3. ;)

Here's my version:
https://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/s ... _menu_font

(Look at my sample picture in the comment section of that page.)

If you don't want to create a FontStruct account, I will upload it here for download when I get home from work.
As promised, here is the TTF font for all to download and enjoy. Click the following link, then download the ZIP file from the upper-right hand corner of the screen:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YXogWW ... share_link
Last edited by goatmeal on Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Thank you, goatmeal! :D I didn't have the font, so I just used GloryQuest as a shortcut. (Except for Rakeesh's "Why does Rajah get all the nice liontaur women" - I used a different font, can't remember which).

Thanks also for the reference to "Aquarius". That song is before my time too, but I've heard it often enough on the radio to know which one you mean. :) (I know "Let the Sun Shine In" too).

Does anyone know what font is being used in QfG5? I know it's different to GloryQuest, but I've no idea. It's not Arial, is it? ;)
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:35 pm Thank you, goatmeal! :D I didn't have the font, so I just used GloryQuest as a shortcut. (Except for Rakeesh's "Why does Rajah get all the nice liontaur women" - I used a different font, can't remember which).

Thanks also for the reference to "Aquarius". That song is before my time too, but I've heard it often enough on the radio to know which one you mean. :) (I know "Let the Sun Shine In" too).

Does anyone know what font is being used in QfG5? I know it's different to GloryQuest, but I've no idea. It's not Arial, is it? ;)
You're welcome on both accounts. :)

As for the QFG5 fonts, here are the two main fonts:

• TEXT (In-game Speech) = Likely a pixel font designed by Sierra. That might inspire me for my next project!

• MENU (Buttons, Text Trees, and Death Screens) = "Flareserif 821" or "Albertus"

There are a few other used, such as a sans-serif font for the sub-screen titles (the "Quest For Glory V" in-game control panel, Bargain, Character, Equipment, Inventory, Spells, etc.) and a bolder pixel font used for the Inventory & Spell names on their respective screens...
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Didn't wanna swing the Who Am I thread off topic so posting my reply here -
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:30 am Sorry, NBS. I was referring to Tawmis's QfG2 walkthrough - here. When he trains with Uhura in the Fighter's Guild, he says something along the lines of "Time for another..." (insert reverb and echo) "TRAINING MONTAGE!!!" ;)
Tawm, that could become a meme on your channel. :D
I wish I would have thought of the "Training Montage!" thing sooner, as often as I trained... lol
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

All right - still very under the weather, voice is horrid... but just finished the funny "subscribe" video intro (this one is pretty good)... now gonna work on commentary on the final QFG2 video in a moment.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

It's still rendering the high definition version - but here's the final commentary piece to Quest for Glory II - Part 8 of 8!
This one has another new (hopefully funny?) intro for trying to get subscribers (trying to reach 1,000 subscribers!)
Anyway - give it a view, a LIKE if you're so inclined, and if you're feeling generous and haven't already - clicking SUBSCRIBE would be wonderful.
And naturally, feel free to share the link too! That always helps!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

:lol: I like the introduction. What will you wish for? One Thousand Subscribers. :D

I'm so sorry you had a cold last week. Coincidentally, I was knocked out by a cold (not COVID, thank goodness) at exactly the same time. Misery loves company, I guess? :)

You've come into Raseir, and Khaveen slaps you and gives you a Visa. What, you can't use Mastercard instead? ;)

Umm ... Ferrari is not 'Signor'. The word is spelled that way, but it's pronounced "Senior" (aka "Sin-your").

No more TRAINING MONTAGE! :lol: That made me jump a bit. Thanks, Tawm. ;)

"Man, this is grim". That's the whole point of Raseir, isn't it? ;)

You tried talking to the thieves. Even if you're part of the Thieves Guild, they won't talk to you.

Ugarte's name is pronunced "You-GAR-tee", so yeah, about right. (That whole angle is straight out of The Maltese Falcon).

Signor Ferrari is a parody of Casper Gutman. Ugarte is Joel Cairo, Gutman's "associate". Wilmer (the bartender) is Wilmer Cook, a vicious young gunman that accompanies Gutman. The three of them are searching for the Maltese Falcon, a fabulously rich (and mythical) statuette of a falcon created in Malta in the Middle Ages by a bunch of knights. :D Hence the Black Bird in QfG.

Yep, you said Zayishah's name correctly. (And "Whoa! If this was Larry, he would've peeped"). :lol:

"Let's see if the new day brings anything new, other than the rat who is interested in our underwear." :lol: I always thought the rat bit was just a joke on the part of the developers.

I can't believe the hero managed to break the gate. ;) That'd never work in real life. Also, I like how he breaks through the gate and then rolls around on the floor like a marble. :lol: And where are the guards? If someone broke a gate in my dungeon, I'd be like "Where the...?! Who's breakin' down mah door?!" And I'd run down there very quickly. "You're nicked!" ;)

The start of the Forbidden City reminds you of the Troll's Cave in KQ4? Hmm. The darkness/light bit reminds me very much of the Fellowship in Moria.

Jumping on and off the log reminds you of Frogger? I never thought of it, but you're right. It is very much like Frogger. :) (Shows how old I am too).

Suleiman is pronouced "Soo-li-MAHN". The Sultan of Shapeir mentions him too - Suleiman ben Daoud (i.e. the Arabic translation of "Solomon, son of David" - the Biblical King Solomon). In Muslim folklore, Suleiman was a fabulously rich king who could control genies and so on. :D I guess that's why his name is THE NAME OF POWER(C). ;) Iblis is just a genie, but Suleiman could control him. :D

The Purple Djinni also mentions Suleiman. "By the power of Suleiman ben Daoud, I will teleport you to Iblis."

The guy at the top and the blue flag (actually handkerchief) dangling is for thieves. :) You have to climb the magic rope there when the guy at the top isn't around. (Mayzun, the servant of the princess Zayishah, told you she would tie her handkerchief there to guide you).

You don't have magic rope? Too bad! You should've bought it from Keapon Laffin in Shapeir! :D

Shameen and Shema speak up for you! (Her name is pronounced "She-ma", rhyming with "dreamer"). :D

Yep, Quest for Glory 3 came about because the Coles wanted "Shadows of Darkness" to be a bigger challenge. But in that case, the hero at the end of QfG2 wouldn't be able to handle it. So, they created QfG3 as an "in-betweener" for the hero to train up even more and be more buff. :D

Thanks, Tawm. It's been fun! :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:09 pm :lol: I like the introduction. What will you wish for? One Thousand Subscribers. :D
Yeah, I look forward to doing these for each of the videos as the new "signature" thing to do in all my videos.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:09 pm I'm so sorry you had a cold last week. Coincidentally, I was knocked out by a cold (not COVID, thank goodness) at exactly the same time. Misery loves company, I guess? :)
Must be, because misery was sure had on my end. lol
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:09 pm You've come into Raseir, and Khaveen slaps you and gives you a Visa. What, you can't use Mastercard instead? ;)
They don't take that here. Mostly because they don't think anyone can be a master but them, clearly! :D
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:09 pm No more TRAINING MONTAGE! :lol: That made me jump a bit. Thanks, Tawm. ;)
I mention it twice, but only did the edit on one of them. :D
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:09 pm You tried talking to the thieves. Even if you're part of the Thieves Guild, they won't talk to you.
Really? I assumed they were you "inside men" of some kind.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:09 pm Signor Ferrari is a parody of Casper Gutman. Ugarte is Joel Cairo, Gutman's "associate". Wilmer (the bartender) is Wilmer Cook, a vicious young gunman that accompanies Gutman. The three of them are searching for the Maltese Falcon, a fabulously rich (and mythical) statuette of a falcon created in Malta in the Middle Ages by a bunch of knights. :D Hence the Black Bird in QfG.
Ah, I was unaware!
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:09 pm Yep, you said Zayishah's name correctly. (And "Whoa! If this was Larry, he would've peeped"). :lol:
May need to go get those X-RAY glasses....!
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:09 pm I can't believe the hero managed to break the gate. ;) That'd never work in real life. Also, I like how he breaks through the gate and then rolls around on the floor like a marble. :lol:
My favorite part is my command even had a ? at the end, as if this didn't seem like it should work! :D
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:09 pm Suleiman is pronouced "Soo-li-MAHN". The Sultan of Shapeir mentions him too - Suleiman ben Daoud (i.e. the Arabic translation of "Solomon, son of David" - the Biblical King Solomon). In Muslim folklore, Suleiman was a fabulously rich king who could control genies and so on. :D I guess that's why his name is THE NAME OF POWER(C). ;) Iblis is just a genie, but Suleiman could control him. :D
The Purple Djinni also mentions Suleiman. "By the power of Suleiman ben Daoud, I will teleport you to Iblis."
I need to go back and pay more attention... I don't recall the Sultan saying it (unless it was right before we head to Rasier).
And the genie saying it - well, that's no help - by that point you're already on the other side of the door. :D
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:09 pmThanks, Tawm. It's been fun! :)
Thanks for checking it out and all the comments in the thread! :)

Return to “The Quest for Glory Series”