Let's Play Sierra Games - Quest for Glory III?

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Let's Play Sierra Games - Quest for Glory III?

Post by Tawmis »

Yeah, decided to jump into Quest for Glory III.

So far, there's aspects I love (Liontaurs are great!), however, the wandering around the map (outside of the town) in the beginning...

Why does it go to where you can see the hero if there's no monster to fight?

It's done it like six times, and I keep waiting for a monster to show up, or see if there's something on the screen to find.

Monsters have shown up other times, so it's not glitched.

Just seems like sometimes, you see the red line of you wandering - then boom - cuts to you standing there. On a field.

Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

Nothing happens.

Wander off screen again, I guess?
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Let's Play Sierra Games - Quest for Glory III?

Post by Collector »

This is why I have played the game far less than the other games in the series.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:58 am Yeah, decided to jump into Quest for Glory III.

So far, there's aspects I love (Liontaurs are great!), however, the wandering around the map (outside of the town) in the beginning...

It's done it like six times, and I keep waiting for a monster to show up, or see if there's something on the screen to find.

Monsters have shown up other times, so it's not glitched.

Just seems like sometimes, you see the red line of you wandering - then boom - cuts to you standing there. On a field.

Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

Nothing happens.

That also struck me as odd. I wonder if it is a red herring of sorts. Sometimes something does happen when you leave the map screen, like finding the honey bird. So maybe it happens at random times to make you look around and see if anything is important.

I do like QFG3. I know that it's sometimes considered the weakest mainly due to the lack of a good villain. The unnamed demon wizard just shows up at the end and doesn't really factor in to the rest of the plot of the game. Maybe I think the setting is cool. Like yourself, I liked the liontaurs and Rakeesh in particular.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:21 am This is why I have played the game far less than the other games in the series.
I've admittedly not gotten far; but unlike QFG2 where I hated making my way through the city until I got my money changed and bought the map - even with the actual map from the game - the way the halls work is disorienting, so that being the "first experience" in QFG2 always set a specific mood in me when it first came out. Now in QFG3, it's not the map - the city is pretty straight forward - but, while I love the Liontaurs and such, and this dynamic between them and humans, and the statue that tells you what you need to do...

I don't care for the "over the map view" of the game. I can't understand why they went away from this - when it was done so well in QFG1 and QFG2 (though the desert in QFG2 where the map flips on you after you reach so far is disorienting map wise)... and the over the map view works in certain games... in Realms of Arkania, my favorite CRPG by far, that's how travel worked because you were going across a MASSSSSSIVE continent, so it makes sense.
notbobsmith wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:14 pm That also struck me as odd. I wonder if it is a red herring of sorts. Sometimes something does happen when you leave the map screen, like finding the honey bird. So maybe it happens at random times to make you look around and see if anything is important. I do like QFG3. I know that it's sometimes considered the weakest mainly due to the lack of a good villain. The unnamed demon wizard just shows up at the end and doesn't really factor in to the rest of the plot of the game. Maybe I think the setting is cool. Like yourself, I liked the liontaurs and Rakeesh in particular.
Yeah - I like the Liontaur, their culture, their buildings, and how it all feels so beautifully Egyptian or something...
But I think the hero looked better in QFG1 and QFG2 then he does in QFG3 (I get this was Sierra's new model, like King Graham in KQ5 and such), but I felt the hero in the first two had way more detail to them.

Just these tiny things I am noticing that add up.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Yeesh. It took me about 40 minutes to figure out how to use the money changer.
I kept trying to give him my purse of gold, assuming he'd convert it - he just kept telling me I didn't have enough.
For fun, I decided to click on myself - and suddenly saw options. (I was fully expecting the traditional banter, "You talk to yourself and engage in an argument, that, to your surprise, you lose.")

And now realize this is how you buy things as well.
They also changed combat.

To be fair, this may be covered in the manual. My manual is in my box, in my bin, in the garage.
So this frustration might be my own fault.
I should grab the gog manual, since I have it from there too, and see what else to expect. lol
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:56 pm Yeesh. It took me about 40 minutes to figure out how to use the money changer.
I kept trying to give him my purse of gold, assuming he'd convert it - he just kept telling me I didn't have enough.
For fun, I decided to click on myself - and suddenly saw options. (I was fully expecting the traditional banter, "You talk to yourself and engage in an argument, that, to your surprise, you lose.")

To be fair, this may be covered in the manual. My manual is in my box, in my bin, in the garage.
I should grab the gog manual, since I have it from there too, and see what else to expect. lol
I don't remember having a problem with exchanging money. I forgot how to do it exactly, but a Youtube playthrough seems to just click the bag of money on the money changer.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:53 pm
Tawmis wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:56 pm Yeesh. It took me about 40 minutes to figure out how to use the money changer.

I don't remember having a problem with exchanging money. I forgot how to do it exactly, but a Youtube playthrough seems to just click the bag of money on the money changer.
Yeah, sadly that doesn't work.
That would have been too obvious. :lol:
Attachments
Image2.png
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

So that said - based on that message - he does, what I complained the money changer in QFGII doesn't do. So that's a plus.

So once ye have it properly converted by "talking to yourself" and selecting to change it - you can come back and if you have 250 commons, he will change it to 2 Royal, which will reduce your weight.
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

So you try to change your money from Shapeir, and he won't take it because you "don't have enough"? That's odd.

It is nice that you can change your "pennies", though.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:20 pm So you try to change your money from Shapeir, and he won't take it because you "don't have enough"? That's odd.
It is nice that you can change your "pennies", though.
Yeah. It's odd that just clicking the purse doesn't do it. I think once ye have it changed, it will work.

And since I never made a "what's next on my channel" like I normally do -

Blabbing about the next game I'm playing on my channel - Quest for Glory III. Obviously.

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

:lol: I like how you inserted your face into the QfG3 splash-screen. Unexpected. Made me laugh. :lol:
Tawmis wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:58 am Yeah, decided to jump into Quest for Glory III.

...Just seems like sometimes, you see the red line of you wandering - then boom - cuts to you standing there. On a field.

Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

Nothing happens.

Yes, the Liontaurs are pretty amazing. Very cool idea. (I'm not sure if the graphical display of them has anything to do with Rakshasas? Except, of course, Liontaurs are very far from the evil Rakshasas). ;)

Yes, walking off into the Savannah (and jungle etc.) will end up randomly. If there's no monster, there's no monster. You can just keep going. *shrug*
Just couldn't become a paladin because of one mistake -- one mistake that Rakeesh wasn't even there to see! I mean, come on Rakeesh! COME ON!
Yeah, QfG2 is very judgmental that way. It adds up your "paladin points" (in a way), and if you don't hit a certain amount, you don't become a paladin. Simple as that.

It's very similar to the Kristy Marx "Robin Hood" game. If, at the end of the game, you don't hit a certain number of points, you don't get Maid Marian. (If you don't hit another certain number, you don't get to be a nobleman again, or you might even be executed). :shock:

The ancient Egyptian angle is quite well-done. Obviously they had stepped pyramids, but not temples inside them (that we know of). The temple we get to see (to the goddess Sekhmet) is nicely done; I just finished writing a story where Sekhmet is a secondary character, so I can tell you all about her! :D She is a bloodthirsty goddess of war, but also a goddess of healing.

Sekhmet is the daughter of the sun god, Ra, and is among the more important of the goddesses who acted as the vengeful manifestation of Ra's power, the Eye of Ra. Sekhmet is said to breathe fire, and the hot winds of the desert were likened to her breath. She is also believed to cause plagues (which were called as her servants or messengers) although she is also called upon to ward off disease.

In a myth about the end of Ra's rule on the earth, Ra sends the goddess Hathor, in the form of Sekhmet, to destroy mortals who conspired against him. But her blood-lust was not quenched at the end of battle, so it led to her destroying almost all of humanity. To stop her, Ra poured out beer dyed with red ochre or hematite so that it resembled blood. Mistaking the beer for blood, Sekhmet became so drunk that she gave up the slaughter and returned peacefully to Ra.

Sekhmet is the wife of the creator god Ptah, also the patron of architects and craftsmen. She is also the mother of Maahes, a lion god, and the sister of the cat goddess Bastet (or Bast). :) So, it makes sense (in QfG3) that Sekhmet is the goddess of liontaurs. It would've been nice to see other Egyptian-style deities.
=======================================================
Good luck in QfG3. I seem to remember that it was my least favorite QfG, mainly because the training (for the contest with Yesufu) seemed to take ages and ages -- but it's probably just my bad memory speaking. ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:50 am Good luck in QfG3. I seem to remember that it was my least favorite QfG, mainly because the training (for the contest with Yesufu) seemed to take ages and ages -- but it's probably just my bad memory speaking. ;)
It fixes a lot of qualms I had in QFG2 (money changer, in particular) - but yes, it's the least... engaging for me. It's the longest break I've taken between the QFG games so far. Like I could be playing now since I finally caught up on my D&D notes - but instead, doing my "Last Time On D&D" videos.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hmm ... yes, I suppose D&D is more fun than QfG3. (But not as fun as QfG4!) ;)

I just had a silly thought. Other words for 'montage' include 'collage', 'assortment', 'pastiche' etc. So, when you train your hero to boost his stats ... since it takes a really long time ... would that be a TRAINING COLLAGE?

I also just realised why the training here seemed to take ages. In QfG2, Uhura (and Rakeesh) offer running commentary, which helps. In QfG3, you just train and train forever, and raise your skills one or two points at a time (and continually fall off the training bridge ... and curse). OK, it's 'realistic' ... just not very fun. *shrug*
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Well, I took a break from the game and got back to it over the long weekend...

And...

Seem to hit a bug.

Dispeled the Leopard woman.

Did the contest.

Won the contest.

Talked to Uhura.

Got the items I need to pay for the bride.

And I can't seem to enter Laibon's hut anymore.

And found a few threads, like this, that seem to indicate the same...

https://www.gog.com/forum/quest_for_glo ... n_hut_woes

Return to “The Quest for Glory Series”