Let's Play Sierra Games - Quest for Glory III?

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Let's Play Sierra Games - Quest for Glory III?

Post by Tawmis »

Welp. So ...

notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:05 pm Well, I took a break from the game and got back to it over the long weekend...

And...

Seem to hit a bug.

Dispeled the Leopard woman.

Did the contest.

Won the contest.

Talked to Uhura.

Got the items I need to pay for the bride.

And I can't seem to enter Laibon's hut anymore.

And found a few threads, like this, that seem to indicate the same...

https://www.gog.com/forum/quest_for_glo ... n_hut_woes
I remember reading about this bug years ago, but I don't think I ever experienced it myself. I always though the bug was a result of running the game on newer hardware and became moot with DOSBox, but I guess I was mistaken. I did find this, suggesting waiting a day. Maybe try going to Tarna and back to the village:

http://www.agdinteractive.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=12964
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

If it is a timer bug go back a few saves and lower the cycles.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:05 am If it is a timer bug go back a few saves and lower the cycles.
From what I've found - it's apparently a bug with how the events are done - and for fighters/paladins (I am playing a paladin) - it easily gets effed up between the horn given, the contest, then the price of the bride,... If you do even one thing odd, it breaks the chain of events.

So I am going to go a few restores back (before the horn and all that), and see if I can get through this.

This has certainly salted my opinion of QFGIII, however. ...
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:24 pm From what I've found - it's apparently a bug with how the events are done - and for fighters/paladins (I am playing a paladin) - it easily gets effed up between the horn given, the contest, then the price of the bride,... If you do even one thing odd, it breaks the chain of events.
SCI Companion.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:37 pm
Tawmis wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:24 pm From what I've found - it's apparently a bug with how the events are done - and for fighters/paladins (I am playing a paladin) - it easily gets effed up between the horn given, the contest, then the price of the bride,... If you do even one thing odd, it breaks the chain of events.
SCI Companion.
Yeah, I have SCI Companion. Now if I knew how to fix the code. But it makes no sense to me when I open Resource.Map for QFGIII. I see things I recognize, but can't understand what's what.

I'm just going to restore way back and see if I can avoid it.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Here you go. Already decompiled for you: https://github.com/EricOakford/SCI-Deco ... aster/qfg3

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Mother of gawd .... this game.

The people who did QA on this game did NOT DO QA. That much is very, very, very, very, very clear to me.

There's SO MANY bugs in this game. SO. MANY. BUGS.

So I figured out how to bypass the area I was stuck.

I had to restore way, way, way before I reached the Simbani village.

Do everything all over again. Do not pick up the horn from the dinosaur thing before you talk to the Chief.

Don't even think about.

Do it all - get to the part where you dispel - and then go from there...

You literally need to break out of the conversation tree - then talk to the chief AGAIN - and ask about marriage.

Then it works.

Don't select what you want from him. Don't select any of those options.

No.

Break out of that convo. And then go back and ask about marriage.

And then I hit like 10 other bugs after and before that.

I finally gave up building up my character (I usually try to max out my main stats like strength, weapon use, dodge, parry, etc) so when I go into the next game, I got some good stats.

However, after the hero literally walking into the sunset like 10 times, or the game freezing when I try to exit a scene after combat, I was done.

I just proceeded to save after every fight, and then just went for the ending.

So I did beat it.

It's currently rendering.

I decided to google to see if others saw this...

And found a thread - and in the same thread they talk about the lock up and the hero walking up into the sky I was seeing.

https://www.gog.com/forum/quest_for_glo ... ombat_area

All things considered, BUGS (which are MANY!) aside, I actually really liked the story and the characters.

I definitely feel like there were way more interesting characters in QFGIII than in QFGII and thankfully there was no annoying Keapon Laffin type character to deal with.

I will say I do miss the multiple enemies you see in QFGI and QFGII in some combat situations that never happens in QFGIII.

I've no idea, right now, if I have it in me to go into QFGIV, or if I am going to play a different Sierra game...
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Tawmis wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:37 pm The people who did QA on this game did NOT DO QA. That much is very, very, very, very, very clear to me.
"Get it out in time for Christmas!!!"

goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

I never played QFG3 as a Fighter, but as for the other three classes (Paladin, Magic User, Thief), the only significant bug I could remember was as a Magic User during the big fight against the Lepoardman Shaman -- something was definitely broken there, but being ~29 years later, but I just can't remember what... seems like a spell I needed to use but couldn't?...

It was either that, or I couldn't use the required spell needed to defeat the Demon King at the game's end. Or maybe since I couldn't get the spell after defeating the Leopardman Shaman, I couldn't use it against the Demon King... Sadly, it's been far too long...

CyricZ's walkthrough for QFG3 might be helpful for the 'correct' order of things for the bride purchase.

As far as 'beefing' up your character for QFG4, just use one of those character modifiers for QFG games. There's at least 2 of them around, and both work fine in DOSBox. 8-)

Loved the setting of QFG3 (a nice change of pace from the commonplace 'Eurocentric' theme), as well as the inclusion of the two junkmen, An Forda and his son, 'Dummy.' :lol:
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Or you could also take advantage of the import bug in QfG4 to max out your stats.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Collector wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:16 pm
Tawmis wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:37 pm The people who did QA on this game did NOT DO QA. That much is very, very, very, very, very clear to me.
"Get it out in time for Christmas!!!"
Seriously. There's some atrocious bugs in QFGIII.
goatmeal wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:57 am I never played QFG3 as a Fighter, but as for the other three classes (Paladin, Magic User, Thief), the only significant bug I could remember was as a Magic User during the big fight against the Lepoardman Shaman -- something was definitely broken there, but being ~29 years later, but I just can't remember what... seems like a spell I needed to use but couldn't?...
It was either that, or I couldn't use the required spell needed to defeat the Demon King at the game's end. Or maybe since I couldn't get the spell after defeating the Leopardman Shaman, I couldn't use it against the Demon King... Sadly, it's been far too long...
CyricZ's walkthrough for QFG3 might be helpful for the 'correct' order of things for the bride purchase.
As far as 'beefing' up your character for QFG4, just use one of those character modifiers for QFG games. There's at least 2 of them around, and both work fine in DOSBox. 8-)
Loved the setting of QFG3 (a nice change of pace from the commonplace 'Eurocentric' theme), as well as the inclusion of the two junkmen, An Forda and his son, 'Dummy.' :lol:
My play through for this was as a Paladin.
As for walk throughs, most of these games I've already played a million times. One of the few is Quest for Glory II-V. lol
And so when I do these, I don't do walk throughs, just to see if I get stuck and see if I can figure it out.
Like the days before the internet.
I usually look at Walk throughs after I am done, and maybe comment in the commentary version, things I may have missed.
And I agree, I actually (bugs aside) enjoyed this more than QFGII.
Collector wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:17 am Or you could also take advantage of the import bug in QfG4 to max out your stats.
As for stats, I will just work it normal in QFGIV, with no need of edits or bugs to take advantage of. I don't mind building up stats, as long as there isn't a bug that's going to end up dead ending me. Which is what happened in QFGIII - I was literally just going out to the Savana constantly to fight to build up my Weapon Use, Strength, etc., and got most of them to 300 when I hit the bug.

When I got past the bug with the restore way back, I was going to just rebuild the stats, doing the same thing, but the hero walked into the horizon or froze so many times, I just said, "I will build up the stats in QFGIV...." LOL
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

I wonder if some of the issues you've been having were addressed by NRS' patch:

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/P ... dates.html
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:06 pm I wonder if some of the issues you've been having were addressed by NRS' patch:

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/P ... dates.html
Mother trucker. I bet it would have...
Laibon conversation
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Didn't seem to; installed patch, restored before contest, did contest, convo tree is still broke.

Return to “The Quest for Glory Series”