Let's Play Sierra Games - Quest for Glory IV

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Let's Play Sierra Games - Quest for Glory IV

Post by Tawmis »

No surprise, right?

Enjoying it so far.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Let's Play Sierra Games - Quest for Glory IV

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Yeah! :D QfG4 is my favourite Quest for Glory game, followed closely by QfG2. Glad you're enjoying it. :)

Fun random fact: QfG4 was the first Sierra game I played that employed voice acting. I still remember the three farmers talking at the inn, and the actors improvising. "Listen, I tell ya, Igor's death has gotta be avenged!" ;)

Ad Avis: "How nice of you to come."

Bonehead: "Go back, or face thy doom."

So many good lines, and really well delivered too. The first time you meet Ad Avis, he delivers his lines in a really cunning, slimy way - reminiscent of Tim Curry in his more villainous roles. :D Baba Yaga is fun. Bonehead is lots of fun. I even enjoyed Punny Bones, although his jokes are ... eh. Heck, it sounds like all the voice actors here had a blast. :D

I remember John Rhys-Davies describing the Narrator's role as "the voice-acting job from hell." :lol:

Yes, the music and the ambience is great. Another fun random fact: the inn music is Edvard Grieg's "Anitra's Dance", a mazurka from a larger work called 'Peer Gynt'. Here it is, performed by a large-scale orchestra. Lots of fun. :)
Tawmis wrote:Very dark setting (always night, from what I remember).
Nope, sorry. You get as much daylight as you get night. But the really tough monsters (like wraiths) only come out at night. You'll want some powerful protection before you take them on. :twisted:
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Probably the most famous music from Edvard Grieg's "Peer Gynt" is "In The Hall Of The Mountain King" -- it's been (over-)used just about everywhere for everything! :)

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

OK - just finished QFGIV. I stopped reading in here because I saw Rath quoting character I'd seen yet in the game.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:47 am Yeah! :D QfG4 is my favourite Quest for Glory game, followed closely by QfG2. Glad you're enjoying it. :)
It really is much better than I remember. I seem to be saying that about each game.

Now that said, after I finished QFGIV (it's currently converting the files to something my editor can work with) - I imported into QFGV - and now remember why I don't remember anything.

The game is pretty horrible. lol

I went into the "danger" area - and... yeah. I lost my entire name I had for QFGI-IV. Because apparently a character limit. It changed it to "Paladin" so I had to rename it to a much shorter name. Then... needing to equip things. The 3D in QFGV is clunky.

Pretty sure I don't remember much about the game because I never finished it. Just as I thought was the case.

I may play another Sierra game instead of torturing myself with QFGV. :D
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:47 am Fun random fact: QfG4 was the first Sierra game I played that employed voice acting. I still remember the three farmers talking at the inn, and the actors improvising. "Listen, I tell ya, Igor's death has gotta be avenged!" ;)
The three farmers, especially the "blond" one (who always spoke after the other two) was the funniest.

Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:47 am So many good lines, and really well delivered too. The first time you meet Ad Avis, he delivers his lines in a really cunning, slimy way - reminiscent of Tim Curry in his more villainous roles. :D Baba Yaga is fun. Bonehead is lots of fun. I even enjoyed Punny Bones, although his jokes are ... eh.
Yes, even after you help him restore his sense of humor... at least his jokes make sense then.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:47 am I remember John Rhys-Davies describing the Narrator's role as "the voice-acting job from hell." :lol:
He was the narrator? He did an astound job.
I did notice there's a scene where apparently they didn't get all of Bonehead's lines, so he had to read it.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:47 am Nope, sorry. You get as much daylight as you get night. But the really tough monsters (like wraiths) only come out at night. You'll want some powerful protection before you take them on. :twisted:
I didn't find any of the monsters tough. Except the special wraith. I think he was the only one to kill me.
Other than when I was experimenting - assuming I'd die (like climbing over the gate wall at night at the castle)
goatmeal wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:03 pm Probably the most famous music from Edvard Grieg's "Peer Gynt" is "In The Hall Of The Mountain King" -- it's been (over-)used just about everywhere for everything! :)
I much prefer...

Savatage called it "Prelude to Madness" with the song leading into "Hall of the Mountain King" (not the same as above), which was the title of the album, and still my favorite Savatage album.

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:36 am OK - just finished QFGIV. I stopped reading in here because I saw Rath quoting character I'd seen yet in the game.
I'm sorry you lost your character's name (but glad you got it back). :) But ...
Tawmis wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:36 am The game is pretty horrible. lol
I'm sorry, no. The GAMEPLAY is a little difficult to grasp. But the game itself is playable, and even enjoyable, if you ignore the gameplay.

Yes, the armour bit is much much simpler than D&D (no braces to protect your arms/hands, no boots to protect your feet, no leg protection - just armour and that's it. ;) Then there are helmets and shields). :D

It feels a little weird at first, but it's easy to get used to. If you use the right keys and stand in the right place, you can even block arrows with your shield. As for 3D -- well ... by 1998, when this game came out, 3D was the way to go. 2D was on its way out.

Did I like it, at the time? No, it felt weird. Do I like it now? Yes, actually. I changed my mind. ;) The real world is in three (actually four or even five) dimensions, so why shouldn't computer games try to approximate it? :)
Tawmis wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:36 am
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:47 am So many good lines, and really well delivered too. The first time you meet Ad Avis, he delivers his lines in a really cunning, slimy way - reminiscent of Tim Curry in his more villainous roles. :D Baba Yaga is fun. Bonehead is lots of fun. I even enjoyed Punny Bones, although his jokes are ... eh.
Yes, even after you help him restore his sense of humor... at least his jokes make sense then.
As far as I'm concerned, Punny's jokes made as much sense before the humour bar as after. I just didn't enjoy the whole anti-dwarf thing, making dwarfs into idiots.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:47 am I remember John Rhys-Davies describing the Narrator's role as "the voice-acting job from hell." :lol:
He was the narrator? He did an astounding job.
I did notice there's a scene where apparently they didn't get all of Bonehead's lines, so he had to read it.
Yep! That was John, all right. :D If you look at the credits, you'll see his name. Oh, wait - from Quest for Glory Fandom.com:
John Rhys-Davies
He is the man who does the narrator voice in Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness Multimedia. He is also known as Salah in the "Indiana Jones" movies, and Gimli from the "Lord of the Rings" movies and video games. He is also known for being in the 1982 movie "Ivanhoe". He is also the voice in "Wing Commander III" and "Wing Commander IV" as Gen. James 'Paladin' Taggart and Prince Thrakhath nar Kiranka.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:47 am Nope, sorry. You get as much daylight as you get night. But the really tough monsters (like wraiths) only come out at night. You'll want some powerful protection before you take them on. :twisted:
I didn't find any of the monsters tough. Except the special wraith. I think he was the only one to kill me.
Other than when I was experimenting - assuming I'd die (like climbing over the gate wall at night at the castle)
Spoiler: Any of the wraiths will kill you quickly if you don't have the Aura spell. They drain your health. The special wraith is especially deadly. ;)

Yes, climbing over the castle gate at night is certain doom. :twisted: Heh - now that reminds me of Deekin and his Doom Song! :D
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

I know QFG5 get a bad rap, but I enjoyed it at the time of its release. Been putting off playing the Thief (completed Paladin, Fighter, and Mage), as it will signify the end of the series for me...

I recall an interview where Corey Cole said that QFGV was the game that closest matched what they had originally envisioned for the QFG series. It's definitely more heavily focused on the "RPG" aspect in 5, rather than the simple side-quests/alternate solutions for the three/four classes offered in 1–4.

However, no matter your thoughts about the gameplay, Chance Thomas's soundtrack is OUTSTANDING.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:38 am
Tawmis wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:36 am The game is pretty horrible. lol
I'm sorry, no. The GAMEPLAY is a little difficult to grasp. But the game itself is playable, and even enjoyable, if you ignore the gameplay.
It feels a little weird at first, but it's easy to get used to. If you use the right keys and stand in the right place, you can even block arrows with your shield. As for 3D -- well ... by 1998, when this game came out, 3D was the way to go. 2D was on its way out.
I may come back to QFGV... but it's... the 3D look... that's the downside is ... so ... dated looking... Like 3D graphics never seem to age well. Same as the old TEKKEN games that used similar 3D polygon look. I'd rather look at AGI/SCI graphics. It's not so... visually displeasing... to the eyes...
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:38 am Yes, the armour bit is much much simpler than D&D (no braces to protect your arms/hands, no boots to protect your feet, no leg protection - just armour and that's it. ;) Then there are helmets and shields). :D
Wasn't even that - like when I selected to "go into Danger" - the hero isn't equipped with anything...
And the combat is so clunky...
I kept trying to attack (after figuring out the sword, shield and armor)... and spent time running around the archers, half the time, if I barely clicked off from them...
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:38 am Did I like it, at the time? No, it felt weird. Do I like it now? Yes, actually. I changed my mind. ;) The real world is in three (actually four or even five) dimensions, so why shouldn't computer games try to approximate it? :)
The same may happen... I remember disliking QFG2, and I enjoyed it. I vaguely remembered QFG3, ended up loving it. Thought QFGIV was super dark, proved to be wrong. So I may change my mind.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:38 am
As far as I'm concerned, Punny's jokes made as much sense before the humour bar as after. I just didn't enjoy the whole anti-dwarf thing, making dwarfs into idiots.
Well, probably because, to my memory, dwarves (or elves, for that matter) are not something we ever got to see in QFG.
goatmeal wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:02 am I know QFG5 get a bad rap, but I enjoyed it at the time of its release. Been putting off playing the Thief (completed Paladin, Fighter, and Mage), as it will signify the end of the series for me... I recall an interview where Corey Cole said that QFGV was the game that closest matched what they had originally envisioned for the QFG series. It's definitely more heavily focused on the "RPG" aspect in 5, rather than the simple side-quests/alternate solutions for the three/four classes offered in 1–4. However, no matter your thoughts about the gameplay, Chance Thomas's soundtrack is OUTSTANDING.
All right, maybe I will leap into QFGV next. Just.... didn't like what I saw when I played. :D
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

I also really liked QFG5 when it first came out. It is definitely more RPG-like, with a limited ability to upgrade weapons and armor. Advancing through the game requires more quest completing rather than puzzle solving. The 3D models for the characters are a little primitive, but I don't think they bother me that much. I thought they looked worse in MoE. I do think they made a very good call with keeping the backgrounds 2D. They are detailed and really nice to look at which would not have been possible with 3D rendering at the time, especially since QFG5 doesn't even use hardware acceleration. Again, compare this to MoE. I think QFG5 was an overall satisfying conclusion to the series. Lots of familiar faces show up. It's also funny to think that this has basically been a year or so for the Hero. And like goatmeal pointed out, the score is terrific.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Yep, the music hasn't aged one bit - not since ... *looks it up* 1998?! The game is now 25 years old! Let's have a party! (Any excuse). ;)

I still play the QfG5 music from time to time, either while studying or walking.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:05 am I also really liked QFG5 when it first came out. It is definitely more RPG-like, with a limited ability to upgrade weapons and armor. Advancing through the game requires more quest completing rather than puzzle solving. The 3D models for the characters are a little primitive, but I don't think they bother me that much. I thought they looked worse in MoE. I do think they made a very good call with keeping the backgrounds 2D. They are detailed and really nice to look at which would not have been possible with 3D rendering at the time, especially since QFG5 doesn't even use hardware acceleration. Again, compare this to MoE. I think QFG5 was an overall satisfying conclusion to the series. Lots of familiar faces show up. It's also funny to think that this has basically been a year or so for the Hero. And like goatmeal pointed out, the score is terrific.
Without a doubt, MOE has the worse 3D graphics. I mean, like, ever. lol
When I finished KQ7 I didn't even try MoE, because it's an eye sore.
And I don't care for the voice acting.

Wizardry 8 didn't have great 3D graphics, but it was infinitely better than MoE, and Wizardry also had beautiful backgrounds, which MoE lacked.

MoE was ... lacking in everything. :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Had to split it into two parts...

For the commentary, probably going to splice it into several sections based on whatever I was doing.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Some thoughts on this ...

- I'm impressed how quickly you reconstructed Dr Cranium's lock. :)
- I like the voice actor for Dr Cranium. He's so enthusiastic. "Ah yes, science!" :D I also like his contempt for magic ... and his love of pizza. ;) (I think I created a picture for him; he celebrates the fact that, since the swamp cuts off Mordavia from the rest of the world, no pizza delivery will arrive within 30 minutes ... so all his pizzas will be free. Yay!) :P
- I know you can give flowers to the Rusalka. But what if you could give her chocolates (a la QfG5)? :P
- The Chernovy fight in the swamp is a pain in the so-and-so. (Same with trying to walk through the swamp - be careful of the grabbing hands!)
- I also like the voice actor for Bonehead. "Go back, or face thy doom." :lol:
- The dreams that the hero has while sleeping next to the staff are creepy. ("Phew, did lose Paladin H"). ;)
- I knew I didn't like Punny Bones for a reason. One of his jokes: "What do you get when a dragon falls into a dwarf mine? A flat miner." (Obviously, the voice actor didn't get the pun on "A-flat minor" - he just pronounces it the same as 'A flat miner'). Sigh. Bad voice acting equals bad character.
- On the other hand, the voice acting for Igor's character is excellent (and his catchphrase is fairly memorable). You might say that, unlike Punny Bones, he didn't dig his own grave. Ha ha, little graveyard humour there. ;)
- :lol: @ the sudden appearance of the remote control.
- The voice actor for Boris Stovich (the gatekeeper at the castle) is very good at doing a creepy voice. :D
- Christina Applegate (who played Kelly Bundy in Married with Children) also did the voice for Tanya, the innkeeper's daughter. I found that rather surprising.

Thanks for sharing! :D I look forward to your commentary. :)

One last thought: Erasmus says "A Hero has to go where a Hero has to go." Since the Hero never relieves himself (at least, we never see a toilet in Gloriana), I can only presume that the Hero's been holding it in for four full games ... and now he really has to go ... :P
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:23 pm
- Christina Applegate (who played Kelly Bundy in Married with Children) also did the voice for Tanya, the innkeeper's daughter. I found that rather surprising.
According to IMDB.com, she wasn't in the game and Russi Taylor (the voice for Minnie Mouse) played Tanya.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:23 pm Some thoughts on this ...
- I'm impressed how quickly you reconstructed Dr Cranium's lock. :)
I would need to look. But that may be a part I sped up. But it's pretty easy once you click the "?" or whatever to see what the photo SHOULD look like.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:23 pm - I like the voice actor for Dr Cranium. He's so enthusiastic. "Ah yes, science!" :D I also like his contempt for magic ... and his love of pizza. ;) (I think I created a picture for him; he celebrates the fact that, since the swamp cuts off Mordavia from the rest of the world, no pizza delivery will arrive within 30 minutes ... so all his pizzas will be free. Yay!) :P
Yes! I enjoyed his character - how he was dismissive about magic and said it was clearly science.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:23 pm - The Chernovy fight in the swamp is a pain in the so-and-so. (Same with trying to walk through the swamp - be careful of the grabbing hands!)
Yeah I wasn't a fan of the swamp walk. It would have been nice for there be a way to "deter" the hands for a short time.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:23 pm - I also like the voice actor for Bonehead. "Go back, or face thy doom." :lol:
He was really good.
Had a mob boss tone to his voice.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:23 pm - The dreams that the hero has while sleeping next to the staff are creepy. ("Phew, did lose Paladin H"). ;)
Agreed - but I wish there was "X" amount of times the paladin ghost would show up. He kept showing up repeatedly with the SAME message. Yes, I got the hint sir.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:23 pm - I knew I didn't like Punny Bones for a reason. One of his jokes: "What do you get when a dragon falls into a dwarf mine? A flat miner." (Obviously, the voice actor didn't get the pun on "A-flat minor" - he just pronounces it the same as 'A flat miner'). Sigh. Bad voice acting equals bad character.
It's a pun, so I think it's intentionally pronounced "miner" vs "minor"
Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:23 pm - On the other hand, the voice acting for Igor's character is excellent (and his catchphrase is fairly memorable). You might say that, unlike Punny Bones, he didn't dig his own grave. Ha ha, little graveyard humour there. ;)
I've not gotten around to doing the commentary - but I did the same thing I did with Torin's Passage - and did a voice over - and included Igor (and most of the towns people) - and did all of their voices - including the women (just for fun) - and I use Igor's "graveyard humor" line in my voice over for what he says.
Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:23 pm - :lol: @ the sudden appearance of the remote control.
My way of saying "Fast forwarding now." :D
Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:23 pm Thanks for sharing! :D I look forward to your commentary. :)
Hoping to tackle that soon.

A co-worker and I recently started playing a survival game called "Sons of the Forest" which has been consuming my time. It's very fun since it's just he and I and those damn caves you need to go into are damn creepy. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

notbobsmith wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:22 am
Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:23 pm
According to IMDB.com, she wasn't in the game and Russi Taylor (the voice for Minnie Mouse) played Tanya.
Whoops! :oops: I haven't looked at the credits for years. I knew it was a familiar name, but for some reason, I was sure it was Christina Applegate. My mistake. Thanks, NBS. :)

Fun fact: Russi Taylor also did some voices for The Simpsons, including stereotypical nerd Martin Prince, purple-haired twins Sherri and Terri, and German exchange student Üter.

Return to “The Quest for Glory Series”