Let's Play Sierra Games - Heart of China.

If you have the Heart to talk about it - someone here's bound to listen! Discuss Heart of China here!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Let's Play Sierra Games - Heart of China.

Post by Tawmis »

Man, this game kicked my butt. I don't know how many times I saw "The End" - not because I beat the game, but something went wrong (tank arcade sequence, getting sold into slavery, the sword fight on the train, the plane blowing up, Kate freezing to death, the list goes on and on!) This was a really tough game to get through - but over all - it's actually a pretty fun game once you accept that you're going to see "The End" quite a few times before you ACTUALLY reach the end of the game! There was one moment I was upset they did something - but at the end, you see it's undone - and if you've beat the game, I think you know what I mean! Anyway, here's me struggling to make it to the end of Heart of China! Again, quite the fun game, despite the constant "The End because you messed up!" :D

notbobsmith
Village Elder

Re: Let's Play Sierra Games - Heart of China.

Post by notbobsmith »

Has it already been 5 years since I did my own playthrough? Man, time flies. An odd game that I remember seeing in an issue of InterAction but otherwise had no interest in and never really found anyone who had an opinion on it. The game never did much for me. Actually I don't think I particularly liked any of the Dynamix adventure games.

Any particular reason you decided to do this one?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

notbobsmith wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:56 pm Has it already been 5 years since I did my own playthrough? Man, time flies. An odd game that I remember seeing in an issue of InterAction but otherwise had no interest in and never really found anyone who had an opinion on it. The game never did much for me. Actually I don't think I particularly liked any of the Dynamix adventure games.

Any particular reason you decided to do this one?
I'd played it when it first came out - and I remember getting to the village (where the plane nearly goes off the edge). And I could never figure out what to do. So, like Codename: Iceman it was one of the Sierra games that I don't recall ever finishing - and sure enough, once I finally got past the plane ledge bit in this playthrough - it was, for sure, all new to me. But even getting TO that point again, this play through, it was a lot of dying. Back in 2015, I even mentioned on the forum, after beating Codename: Iceman, I was going to give this a swing again (viewtopic.php?p=54191#p54191) and gave up.

I almost gave up again on the bit with the snakes and Kate. I trimmed out probably an hour of me trying to figure out how to shoot the snake. Not even kidding.

Over all, I ended up enjoying it for what it was worth. Thought it was a fun story. Although, I did play both Lucky and then did Kate - and when she comes off easy - it puts off Lucky, which I felt was odd. I feel like he would have jumped at the chance, so the fact that that leads to the "bad ending" seemed weird to me.

I thought they did a cool bit of swapping between the characters. While you primarily play as Lucky, there is a bit where you play as Chi in the Warlord area, then later play as Kate in Istanbul. Although, I did have to slow down the cycles by A LOT to win the pearl under the shell game.

I did NOT care for the two arcade sequences. And was glad that the choice to BYPASS them was available. I did try both - multiple times, before proceeding with the bypass.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Hello! After two months away - I am finally back at the channel and hope to plunge myself back in more frequently for 2024! I return with a commentary on Heart of China which was the last thing I played back in 2023! Swing by, check it out, if you like it, click that Subscribe button if you haven't already! And if you're so inclined, tickle the LIKE button on Youtube as well.

Return to “Heart of China”