Started a high-res re-texturing project of GK3

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Started a high-res re-texturing project of GK3

Post by Tawmis »

Spikey wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:22 pm Thanks for testing some so quickly, really appreciate it! What resolution in the game settings are you using, and do you have dgVoodoo running too?
I only upscaled the dining room walls, haven't touched it otherwise - though upscaling really improves your views of stuff that you are closeby. Do you have midmapping on, because I only test with that setting enabled.
1920x1080 and yes to dgVoodoo.
I tested both midmapping on and off - one of them (can't recall which now) blurs it ever so slightly. Noticeable for example on the top of the cabinet thing (in the hall).
Spikey wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:22 pm And yes haha, you noticed I didn't touch the fountain as it was animated and I have no idea what I'm doing. These files weren't loaded with loading just the scene (as they are animated) so I missed them and had to manually skim all the graphic files to even locate them. Anyway, here is an upgraded fountain pack, just dump the files into your custom folder!
https://mega.nz/file/9nRCFKRT#tWWex-OE6 ... JbHIlyrZ44
Did you touch the fountain animation? Because the fountain looked sharp already (the base and such from your previous file).
Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Spikey »

Yes, the base was already done - this upgrades the three water textures related to it. Will work on it more in future releases, it is kind of satisfying to work on animation.
Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Spikey »

Been working around the clock on this, I think I am about 55% done.

Done;
- ALL rooms and bathrooms at the hotel except the kitchen, Roxanne's closet and the dumbwaiter (sorry dumbwaiter lovers, it is the most useless room in the game).
- Museum, Church, Cemetery, Tour Magdala and all outside locations in Rennes-le-Chateau. The John Denver and Kurt Cobain headstones are put in their proper glory, I could not resist. Upgraded the exit Rennes-le-Chateau sign and museum signs to reflect real life / language.
- All parking lots (yes, this includes those of Wen's Site, Serres, Armchair incline and the entirety of Orange Rock)
- l'Homme Mort and Coume Sourdes
- l'Hermitage
- Chateau Blanchefort, Roque Nègre and their crossroads

To do;
- Hotel Kitchen & Roxanne's area
- Villa Bethania
- Rennes-les-Bains (and disco)
- Couiza / trainstation
- Rest of Serres
- Larry Chester's house and surroundings
- Poussin's Tomb
- Devil's Armchair
- Howard & Estelle's Site
- Hexagram locations
- Pech Cardou
- and last but not least... yeah... the Temple

If I can keep up this pace we'll be playing upgraded GK3 long before Christmas!! :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

That would be incredible! Still, incredible, even if it takes longer than Christmas! :)

I'd love to show it off for my channel and host the final file needed on LarryLaffer.net as a place to download it from.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

If it takes some configuration, I could write an installer for it to make it easier to apply. If I get around to redoing the GK3 installer I could add it as an install option.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Spikey »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:01 am I'd love to show it off for my channel and host the final file needed on LarryLaffer.net as a place to download it from.
That would be so awesome!
Collector wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:10 am If it takes some configuration, I could write an installer for it to make it easier to apply. If I get around to redoing the GK3 installer I could add it as an install option.
Oh, that would be a really nice addition - even though the config needed is very minimal, it might scare people off regardless.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Spikey wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:47 pmeven though the config needed is very minimal, it might scare people off regardless.
Just what I was thinking.

Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Spikey »

The entire game is done now! First release of this here lil' project, the end result is 2.5 gb when zipped. Played through the entire game really quickly and without looking too closely, to straighten out details.

Can't think of a better place than Sierrahelp for a first share, or any place at all, as only people here will understand the absolute insanity of what I did here in such a short period of time :).

https://mega.nz/file/Y34DDT5Y#kgDtcpqeq ... xb2WIDJ4DU

@Tawmis - delete your old folder entirely should you want to continue testing, I actually had a faulty plaza map in that initial release, which made it harder for Gabe and Grace to move around freely in that area.

Coming weeks I'll be testing more closely, and may or may not update small stuff.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

I will definitely download this tonight. Won't be able to test it till tomorrow (have a D&D game tonight after work I run)!

Thank you for doing this, Spikey!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I'll take a look at a script for this when I have some time coming up this weekend.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

So far it's amazing quality, Spikey!

I may... or may not have tampered with one of the images... ;)
Attachments
GK3 2023-11-29 22-29-36-68.png
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

So far, not run into any issues - restored to various points in the game. Not seeing anything broke! This is truly awesome.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Ah ha. One bane still exists which you may not be able to fix. So when I play in 1920x1080 (n GK settings) - the Sidney computer is all messed up. And I need to change my resolution down.
Attachments
GK3 2023-11-29 22-37-45-31.png
Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Post by Spikey »

That problem was already present for you right? I tried not to touch any of the Sydney textures except for how it appears in the room.

Some other things;

1. The scenery outside of Room 25 I haven't touched yet. No matter how I attempt to upscale this visual, it only makes it look ugly. It must be a texture that was developed early on, as it has not at all the same quality as all the other beautiful backdrops. I'm still working on this.

2. Gabriel was supposed to have three different outfits I think. Or at least other shirts. A yellow one on day 2, a green one on day 3. They might have changed it to a regular fresh white shirt on day 1 and 3, and a dirty shirt on day 2, when they realised that Gabriel appears in the Bink videos only with that white shirt. Gabe only appears in ONE Bink video on Day 2. and his shirt isn't dirty, although it COULD be that he is already wearing his fresh Day 3 shirt at that time.
yellow-shirt.png
3. Speaking of Bink vids, I have NO idea how to convert upscaled videos back to BNK and make the game play them, even with the official Rad Video tools. I tried replacing that old bnkw32 DLL file with a modern one, and it DOES actually make the game play any vid I throw at it, but only for a few mili seconds, but then it just... stops. Suggestions are more than welcome. If I do figure it out I will report back here of course.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Spikey wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:12 pm That problem was already present for you right? I tried not to touch any of the Sydney textures except for how it appears in the room.
Yes. Was hoping that it'd be one of the images that were able to be upscaled. lol
Spikey wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:12 pm 3. Speaking of Bink vids, I have NO idea how to convert upscaled videos back to BNK and make the game play them, even with the official Rad Video tools. I tried replacing that old bnkw32 DLL file with a modern one, and it DOES actually make the game play any vid I throw at it, but only for a few mili seconds, but then it just... stops. Suggestions are more than welcome. If I do figure it out I will report back here of course.
I was also looking to do the same when I was doing my GK3 playthrough for my channel.
Because I was always having to do it post playing in the editor.

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”