Started a high-res re-texturing project of GK3

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Started a high-res re-texturing project of GK3

Post by Tawmis »

I don't think Spikey's been on since you asked.
https://forums.sierrahelp.com/memberlis ... file&u=509

You can see his last day active on here was Jan 15.

You may wish to send him a PM - if he has notifications on for PMs he may see it.
Subbi
Noob

Post by Subbi »

HI all,

Great news on these upgraded textures. I wanted to try it out and followed the exact procedure as explained on larrylaffer.net, however even though the game loads properly I don't really see any difference with before....I'm pretty sure I'm seeing the old textures.

Some specifics:
- I have the GoG version of GK3, so I needed to make a new gk3.ini (as it wasn't there upon starting this)
- Looking at the settings screenshot on larrylaffer.net, mine are exactly the same however I don't have the 1080p resolution. I only have the default options with a maximum of 1024x768. Don't know if this is the issue that avoids the new textures to load?
- I am playing the game via DGVoodoo, so using the DirectX wrapper (I think it is what it's called)

Any thoughts or idea's why I'm not seeing the updated textures?

Thanks,
Subbi
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Subbi wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:56 am HI all,

Great news on these upgraded textures. I wanted to try it out and followed the exact procedure as explained on larrylaffer.net, however even though the game loads properly I don't really see any difference with before....I'm pretty sure I'm seeing the old textures.

Some specifics:
- I have the GoG version of GK3, so I needed to make a new gk3.ini (as it wasn't there upon starting this)
- Looking at the settings screenshot on larrylaffer.net, mine are exactly the same however I don't have the 1080p resolution. I only have the default options with a maximum of 1024x768. Don't know if this is the issue that avoids the new textures to load?
- I am playing the game via DGVoodoo, so using the DirectX wrapper (I think it is what it's called)

Any thoughts or idea's why I'm not seeing the updated textures?

Thanks,
Subbi
I need to include this in larrylaffer.net - set the textures to high in GK3.
Attachments
412654901_209993475498112_2220703235679748274_n.jpg
Subbi
Noob

Post by Subbi »

I managed to solve the issue on why the textures don't load on my computer.
The gk3.ini file, if you create it with the standard text editor in Windows, actually defaults it into gk3.ini.txt. Had to use a DOS prompt to rename that properly...there are probably easier ways, but still a very typical pitfall some users may fall into.

This is maybe standard stuff for some people, but a casual windows user won't realize this. This is where, I think, an installer package might be helpful when this texture upgrade is going to be found by a much larger group of people. This type of question would pop-up all the time on the GoG or Steam forums I expect.

I noticed a huge amount of changes in the textures, so really really nice!!
- The bookstore window posters (with Jane Jensen) do not seem to be upgraded, is that correct?

Also was wondering how some of you managed to get the resolution to 1920x1080 pixels resolution. My GK3, GoG version, with DGVoodoo applied with the recommended settings from experts at the GoG forums, dont give me that resolution option. ONly the 3 standard ones that were available when installing it in the basic setup.

Best regards,
Subbi
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Subbi wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:01 am I managed to solve the issue on why the textures don't load on my computer.
The gk3.ini file, if you create it with the standard text editor in Windows, actually defaults it into gk3.ini.txt. Had to use a DOS prompt to rename that properly...there are probably easier ways, but still a very typical pitfall some users may fall into.

This is maybe standard stuff for some people, but a casual windows user won't realize this. This is where, I think, an installer package might be helpful when this texture upgrade is going to be found by a much larger group of people. This type of question would pop-up all the time on the GoG or Steam forums I expect.

- The bookstore window posters (with Jane Jensen) do not seem to be upgraded, is that correct?

Also was wondering how some of you managed to get the resolution to 1920x1080 pixels resolution. My GK3, GoG version, with DGVoodoo applied with the recommended settings from experts at the GoG forums, dont give me that resolution option. ONly the 3 standard ones that were available when installing it in the basic setup.

Best regards,
Subbi
Collector has the info on the site on the GK3 section.

But here you go:

Edit the path of the shortcut and go into "Properties" to specify width and height (your desired resolution).

So for example - I changed mine to -

"C:\Sierra\Gabriel Knight 3\GK3.exe" -width 1920 -height 1080
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Subbi wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:01 am I managed to solve the issue on why the textures don't load on my computer.
It is not because of Notepad, but because you have your Windows set to hide extensions. This is a bit dangerous as you might encounter a file from the internet named something like "FileName.txt.exe". you'll see it as "FileName.txt" with the EXE hidden. If you try to open it, it will not open a text file, but execute whatever program it actually is.

Open an Explorer window and go to "..." on the toolbar and select "Options". On the View tab of the options dialog, uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types". You will now see the actual extension of of any files with a double extension. Not only will you know if a file is actually an EXE instead of a more innocent type like "txt" or "jpg". If you specify the extension of a file you are saving in Notepad it will save it as 'ini' or whatever format you are trying to save it as. If it still adds the "txt" to the end you will see it and can simply rename it with the right extension.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Subbi wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:01 am This is maybe standard stuff for some people, but a casual windows user won't realize this. This is where, I think, an installer package might be helpful when this texture upgrade is going to be found by a much larger group of people. This type of question would pop-up all the time on the GoG or Steam forums I expect.

Best regards,
Subbi
I wrote an installer, but it fails to compile since it makes it too large with the updated texture files included. I'll have to find another way to pack the files for the installer. Not only would an installer automate the ini file, it would make the right Registry entries for display settings.

Subbi
Noob

Post by Subbi »

Thanks for the tips. I managed to get it to the 1920x1080 resolution.

The installer would be a great addition. Yeah, I can imagine it may be difficult to include the updated texture files, but perhaps it can work if you have downloaded that separately. The game also need to be downloaded before you can use the installer right? (assuming it works with GoG/Steam versions)
Subbi
Noob

Post by Subbi »

So I had been running in a few "fatal exception errors" that occurred a couple of minutes into the game at random spots.
I'm not entirely sure if it's caused by the new textures or the higher resolution (1920x1080). I tried on/off settings in-game on mipmapping and incrementatal rendering, but that didn't make any difference.

I checked the DGVoodoo settings, and within the DirectX tab I had set the VRAM to 256MB. I am nog trying to see if I increase it to 512MB, if I still get these errors assuming they are memory/performance related. Sofar, after playing for about 5-10 minutes they donot seem to occurr anymore.
Don't know of course if that will remain the case, otherwise I may have to decrease the resolution down to 1024x768, as I'm sure I was able to finish the game in the original (high) resolution.

If you guys have any thoughts or experience with this, it would be very welcome
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Subbi wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:26 am If you guys have any thoughts or experience with this, it would be very welcome
I did not run into any fatal exception errors, so it should not be related to the 1920x1080.

I don't have GK3 installed anymore, so I do not know what I had the memory set to.
Sweem
Noob

Post by Sweem »

Hi guys,
this is my first post here. Its nice to see that there are still active projects around GK3!
I am working on modding some sounds and dialogues with ai.
But the reason i am here: I have read that you can extract a "GK3R.EXE" File from the console menu.
This file gives you an developer environment or something like this.
It have tried to extract the file but it doesnt work.
Maybe the file isnt included in the gog Version? If so can someone give me this file?
Greetings Sweem
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

The file is present in the GOG version and is easy to extract. With the game running, just press "CTRL"+"SHIFT"+"TILDA" (the ~ to the left of the 1 key). You will see the console window at the top of the game's screen. Type "extract" then press the Enter key. The screen will display

Code: Select all

Extract "",""
with the cursor moved to the first pair of quotes. Now just type "gk3r.exe" and the file will be dumped into the game's base folder. Note that if you have the game installed in the 'Program Files (x86)' or any other system directory any output will be redirected to the VirtualStore if you have UAC turned on. The easiest way to avoid this is to not install the game in any system folder like 'Program Files (x86)'. Instead, install to a location like 'C:\Sierra\GK3'.

Sweem
Noob

Post by Sweem »

That is exactly what i did. And thx for the quick reply btw.
My folder is E:\spiele\Gabriel Knight 3\
I type extract ("gk3r.exe","") in the console but nothing happens.
Also typing extract ("","") does not give me a !!!readme.txt file.
Last edited by Sweem on Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweem
Noob

Post by Sweem »

Could you send me the exe and txt file?
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

Try typing just extract and enter, then gk3r.exe.

Return to “The Gabriel Knight Series”