Question: Running QfG on Windows 11?

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Question: Running QfG on Windows 11?

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Hi all,

I'm wondering about this, because I have the Quest for Glory Collection installed. As I'm sure you're aware, games that old rely on DOSBox.

They used to work just fine before I had to have my computer upgraded, a few months ago. In the upgrade, my C drive became a D drive, and a new C drive was added, which holds Windoze 11. ;)

Now, whenever I try to run a QfG game, I get this message:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe not found. Please reinstall.
Of course, I know what's going on: DOSBox isn't found on my C drive, because it's on my D drive! :)

My question is this: I can easily install DOSBox on my C drive, but should I uninstall it from the D drive, first? I think I should, otherwise there might be all kinds of clashes - maybe? I'm not sure. Does anyone know?

Thanks very much. :D
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Question: Running QfG on Windoze 11?

Post by Tawmis »

I have DOSBox installed on my C: drive as well as my external drive (H: drive) - so that if I take my laptop around, I can grab my external drive and still play my Sierra games. Shouldn't be a problem at all. You can probably also just edit the file to point to your D: drive for DOSBox
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Oh! OK. Do you know how to edit the file, please? I'm completely new to editing .exe files, so I've no idea. *blush* Thanks :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:50 pm Oh! OK. Do you know how to edit the file, please? I'm completely new to editing .exe files, so I've no idea. *blush* Thanks :)
Not the .exe - but whatever is pointing to it - it's going to depend on what game(s) you're using.
If you're using Collector's installers - it will either reinstall or ask if you're using an existing DOSBox install.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Er ... I've no idea if I'm using Collector's installers. I have a shortcut to a folder called

Code: Select all

D:\Sierra\Quest for Glory Collection Series\Quest for Glory Collection Series
, and in that folder are shortcuts that points to the various .exe files (e.g.

1. D:\Sierra\Quest for Glory Collection Series\Quest for Glory 1\Quest for Glory 1.exe
2. D:\Sierra\Quest for Glory Collection Series\Quest for Glory 2\Quest for Glory 2.exe

etc.) :) I believe these shortcuts were created when I installed the games, using my old "Quest for Glory Collection Series" CD.

But when I try to open these shortcuts in Notepad, I see a bunch of symbols that don't mean much to me.

I tried searching these for the phrase "DOSBox", but can't find it.

What am I missing? I'm confused. :?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Can anyone help, please? :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Question: Running QfG on Windows 11?

Post by Tawmis »

So are these GoG installs? Or did you install from the CDs then make DOSBox shortcuts? That info helps. To tell you where to change where it's pointing.
You mentioned using the CDs... above. Which if you did that, you would have had to have created the short cuts yourself so that they know to launch DOSBox. If you've done that - right click the short cut and go into the properties - you should see it in there. Just change the drive letter of where DOSBox is installed.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Whoops! Sorry, Tawm -- I missed your reply here. *blush*

Yes, I used the CDs to install this -- but I didn't create the short-cuts myself. I used Collector's installers.

Here's what one of the short-cuts says, just to give you a clue:

The "Target" and "Start In" boxes all point to where the file is kept.
The "Target" and "Start In" boxes all point to where the file is kept.

As you can see, the "Target" and "Start In" boxes all point to where the file is kept - i.e. in the D drive, under the Sierra -> QfG Collection -> QfG1 subdirectory, and the file is called "Quest for Glory 1.exe" :)

The file exists just fine. Unfortunately, there's an error with DOSBox. Any idea what I should do from here?

Thanks! :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Can anyone help, please? :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

So #1 should point to just the directory that the game is in.
#2 - Should point to the executable.

So for example #1 could be: C:\Tawmis\Sierra
#2 would be: C:\Tawmis\Sierra\QFG.EXE

If that doesn't work, just reinstall the game. :)
Attachments
2024-02-06 18_17_10-Space Quest 3D (1.0.523) Properties.png
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Sigh ... my reply to this was deleted. :\

I was trying to say that yes, my #1 (for QfG1) is D:\Sierra\Quest for Glory Collection Series\Quest for Glory 1

and #2 is D:\Sierra\Quest for Glory Collection Series\Quest for Glory 1\Quest for Glory 1.exe :)

But when I try to open it, I get the error message about DOSBox not being installed on my C drive.

So, I'll install it on my C drive and try again. Thanks! ;)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Do you have both commands in quotes?
"D:\Sierra\Quest for Glory Collection Series\Quest for Glory 1"

and

"D:\Sierra\Quest for Glory Collection Series\Quest for Glory 1\Quest for Glory 1.exe"
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Sounds like the problem is that when the new drive was installed, the former C: drive became the D: drive... and there is no current DOSBox installed on the new C: drive, which is where the game shortcuts are pointing to. And, it's not recognizing it on the D: drive.

I suppose he could get the shortcuts to point to the D: drive where the old DOSBox program resides, but for someone who isn't a well-versed in old-style DOS/shortcuts, it's likely far easier to just reinstall DOSBox on the new C: drive.

It won't hurt anything, and duplicating it won't cause problems down the line because the new system doesn't recognize the Program Files & Program Files (x86) folders from the old C:/new D: drive now (which is the cause of the problem)...
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:44 pm Do you have both commands in quotes?
"D:\Sierra\Quest for Glory Collection Series\Quest for Glory 1"

and

"D:\Sierra\Quest for Glory Collection Series\Quest for Glory 1\Quest for Glory 1.exe"
Yep, that's exactly it. :)
goatmeal wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:14 pm Sounds like the problem is that when the new drive was installed, the former C: drive became the D: drive... and there is no current DOSBox installed on the new C: drive, which is where the game shortcuts are pointing to. And, it's not recognizing it on the D: drive.
Yes, that's what happened.
goatmeal wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:14 pm I suppose he could get the shortcuts to point to the D: drive where the old DOSBox program resides, but for someone who isn't a well-versed in old-style DOS/shortcuts, it's likely far easier to just reinstall DOSBox on the new C: drive.

It won't hurt anything, and duplicating it won't cause problems down the line because the new system doesn't recognize the Program Files & Program Files (x86) folders from the old C:/new D: drive now (which is the cause of the problem)...
I'm familiar with some DOS commands, which is why I thought I could (or should?) give it a try. Is it difficult -- I mean, is it more than just changing "C" into "D"?

(Yes, I know that sounds like "just smart enough to be dangerous", which is why I was asking. :) I'd rather not break the game. Note I never said "How hard can it be?") :lol:
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:10 pm
goatmeal wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:14 pm I suppose he could get the shortcuts to point to the D: drive where the old DOSBox program resides, but for someone who isn't a well-versed in old-style DOS/shortcuts, it's likely far easier to just reinstall DOSBox on the new C: drive.

I'm familiar with some DOS commands, which is why I thought I could (or should?) give it a try. Is it difficult -- I mean, is it more than just changing "C" into "D"?

(Yes, I know that sounds like "just smart enough to be dangerous", which is why I was asking. :) I'd rather not break the game. Note I never said "How hard can it be?") :lol:
Unfortunately, I've not used nor am I familiar with the DOSBox shortcuts that you are using. I set my DOSBox up like my old DOS system, with a TXT menu screen, batch files, and everything.

I'd hate to try to give you [bad/poor] advice on changing things; it would be me just guessing blindly, and would hate to mess things up even further.

(That's why I've been lurking about this thread since it started, but hesitated to join in...) :oops:

((Some help I wuz, huh?)) :roll:

Return to “The Quest for Glory Series”