Phantasie Memorial Edition.

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Phantasie Memorial Edition.

Post by Tawmis »

Phantasie III was a game I loved but never beat. Gonna keep me on this and see if it ever goes on sale. Never played I or II.

https://www.gog.com/en/game/phantasie_memorial_set
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Phantasie Memorial Edition.

Post by Rath Darkblade »

I've never played this game. How old is it? I presume mid-80s or thereabouts, because of the CGA graphics -- but GOG doesn't say when it was made.

Also, the PC's stats are interesting:

Minotaur Labourer
STR 19
INT 8
DEX 12
CON 19
CHA 8
LUCK 10

All right, obviously this isn't D&D because "Luck" doesn't feature in D&D. (Maybe it did back in the 80s? Not sure). But this guy sounds like a stereotypical "dumb fighter". :lol:

Also, he has a CON of 19 but only 13 hit points? Something's not quite right here ... what's going on? :?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:47 pm I've never played this game. How old is it? I presume mid-80s or thereabouts, because of the CGA graphics -- but GOG doesn't say when it was made.

Minotaur Labourer
STR 19
INT 8
DEX 12
CON 19
CHA 8
LUCK 10

All right, obviously this isn't D&D because "Luck" doesn't feature in D&D. (Maybe it did back in the 80s? Not sure). But this guy sounds like a stereotypical "dumb fighter". :lol:

Also, he has a CON of 19 but only 13 hit points? Something's not quite right here ... what's going on? :?
First one was 1985, from what I see. I got Phantasie III when it came out. My friend Shawn (who got me into Sierra) and I used to play it along with Wizardry.

Wizardry also had the LUCK stat. Luck, typically determined your chance to do something (like to hit something, avoid traps, etc).

And as for the Minotaur...

If he's Level 1, that's actually not too unreasonable.

Assuming Labourer is similar to a fighter, in D&D - fighters at Level 1 started with roughly 10 Hit points. And the CON would give bonuses, every few points. (In 5th Edition - the current D&D - it's every even point in a skill beyond 10 - so 10, 11 give +0, 12, 13 give +1, 14, 15 give +2, 16, 17 give +3, 18, 19 give +4, 20, 21 give +5, etc etc).
notbobsmith
Village Elder

Post by notbobsmith »

Tawmis wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:01 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:47 pm I've never played this game. How old is it? I presume mid-80s or thereabouts, because of the CGA graphics -- but GOG doesn't say when it was made.

Minotaur Labourer
STR 19
INT 8
DEX 12
CON 19
CHA 8
LUCK 10

First one was 1985, from what I see. I got Phantasie III when it came out. My friend Shawn (who got me into Sierra) and I used to play it along with Wizardry.

Wizardry also had the LUCK stat. Luck, typically determined your chance to do something (like to hit something, avoid traps, etc).

Assuming Labourer is similar to a fighter, in D&D - fighters at Level 1 started with roughly 10 Hit points. And the CON would give bonuses, every few points. (In 5th Edition - the current D&D - it's every even point in a skill beyond 10 - so 10, 11 give +0, 12, 13 give +1, 14, 15 give +2, 16, 17 give +3, 18, 19 give +4, 20, 21 give +5, etc etc).
It also says he's 13. I'm guessing Minotaurs age faster. Otherwise bringing a kid in a dungeon to slay monsters seems a little irresponsible. Plus you have to listen to him complain about how no one understands him. :)

Interesting that the second game never had a DOS release, so they are using an Apple emulator. I don't think there are that many non-DOS games on GOG.

The third was released in 1988. Seems a little late for CGA-only graphics.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:01 pm

Minotaur Labourer
STR 19
INT 8
DEX 12
CON 19
CHA 8
LUCK 10

Hmm. Then I guess Labourer starts out with 9 Hit Points (one less than a fighter), which sounds OK.

Was the LUCK stat ever part of D&D? If it was, when was it replaced with WIS? Just curious. :)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:42 am Was the LUCK stat ever part of D&D? If it was, when was it replaced with WIS? Just curious. :)
No, LUCK seemed to be a CRPG thing.

D&D was always STR (Strength), INT (Intelligence), WIS (Wisdom), DEX (Dexterity), CON (Constitution) and CHR (Charisma).

There was a time, they did an Unearthed Arcana and introduced COM (Comliness), but it didn't take off.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Heh - I knew I must have talked about Phantasie III somewhere on the forum. And it was about my need to map things...
viewtopic.php?p=81978&hilit=phantasie#p81978
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:25 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:42 am Was the LUCK stat ever part of D&D? If it was, when was it replaced with WIS? Just curious. :)

D&D was always STR (Strength), INT (Intelligence), WIS (Wisdom), DEX (Dexterity), CON (Constitution) and CHR (Charisma).

There was a time, they did an Unearthed Arcana and introduced COM (Comliness), but it didn't take off.
Comeliness? That's how attractive a person is. Isn't that the same as your CHA score? ;)

Now I can't stop thinking about a person with a high Charisma score dancing the CHA-CHA-CHA. :D How long before that appears in your campaign, Tawm?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:36 am
Tawmis wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:25 pm
Comeliness? That's how attractive a person is. Isn't that the same as your CHA score? ;)
Now I can't stop thinking about a person with a high Charisma score dancing the CHA-CHA-CHA. :D How long before that appears in your campaign, Tawm?
That's why Comeliness didn't last.

So CHR is often thought of how attractive you are. But that's actually not it at all.
Charisma is how people perceive you. You can be unattractive and still have a lot of charisma. (Look at the many cult leaders past and present, as a tragic example...) You can also look at someone who is beautiful, but a complete asshole/bitch.
So they tried to introduce comlieness to be the actual trait for beauty. And too many people in D&D just always used Charisma for that. So it never went very far (and was always an optional rule in 2nd Edition when introduced).

As for dancing the cha-cha-cha... trust me, especially with the off week game I run, so many crazy ideas have slid into that game.

Return to “Non-Sierra Games & Help”