QG2 Stamina depleting fast

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

QG2 Stamina depleting fast

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer »

I’m noticing the hero’s stamina is depleting unusually fast. He was overloaded at one point but I dropped the weight to well below his maximum carrying capacity. But just walking from one side of a screen to another drops about 10 stamina points.

Could my save file have gotten corrupted with the weight value? Is there a way to fix this with the “suck blue frog” debug codes?

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: QG2 Stamina depleting fast

Post by Collector »

What cycles are you using?
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Also (aside to Collector's question) if you're using DOSBox - upload the save - and I can download and see if I see the same thing.
Will also need the TRIALSG.DIR with it.
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

8000 cycles. I believe the default for the SHP installer.

It might’ve been a glitch, or maybe not. I was ultimately able to complete the game regardless. I noticed it was very easy to overload your weight in this one, what with all the money and items you collect.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Tawmis wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:32 pm Also (aside to Collector's question) if you're using DOSBox - upload the save - and I can download and see if I see the same thing.
Will also need the TRIALSG.DIR with it.
I’ll send that to you soon, just to see. Thanks.
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

2 is probably the one I have played the least of the SCI games. The maze of the city's street put me off early on.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Semi-Happy Partygoer
Oldbie

Collector wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:32 pm 2 is probably the one I have played the least of the SCI games. The maze of the city's street put me off early on.
Yes, like the KQ5 labyrinth, it’s almost impossible to figure out without consulting a map or guide.
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:23 am
Collector wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:32 pm 2 is probably the one I have played the least of the SCI games. The maze of the city's street put me off early on.
Yes, like the KQ5 labyrinth, it’s almost impossible to figure out without consulting a map or guide.
Yes, the shifting 3rd-person perspective did it no favors, but I can see why it was designed like that (similar to the old "cubic" dungeon games of the late 70s/early 80s).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

If you go straight to the money changer then back to where you start to get the map - it becomes infinitely easier.

But that was my biggest pain point too. Well, that and the desert - how if you go north/south far enough, it flips perspective. I hated that, for mapping.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:35 am
If you go straight to the money changer then back to where you start to get the map - it becomes infinitely easier.
Agreed. I always do that first.
Tawmis wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:35 am But that was my biggest pain point too. Well, that and the desert - how if you go north/south far enough, it flips perspective. I hated that, for mapping.
Finding the money changer is actually easy. :) What you have to do is four things:

1. Ask Shameen, Shema, and Abdulla Doo about the money changer. One of them will tell you she lives in Dinar Tarik, and another one will tell you how to get there.

2. Ask the trader outside (who sells you the map, I forget his name) about the money changer. His instructions are a little confusing.

3. Go to the water plaza, go to the katta with the flowers, and turn left into the streets.

4. Then follow the streets, always stopping and looking at the street signs to make sure you're following the right directions to Dinar Tarik.

You will shortly find the money changer. Change your money, and then follow the way back. It isn't all that hard if you pay attention to the street signs.

You will soon be back in the watery plaza, so go back to the inn and buy a map. Presto! :D

I never tried to map the desert, but always stayed within the same range of screens, not far from the city.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:49 am I never tried to map the desert, but always stayed within the same range of screens, not far from the city.
I am one of those weirdos that like to map everything on paper. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade »

Tawmis wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:47 pm
Rath Darkblade wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:49 am I never tried to map the desert, but always stayed within the same range of screens, not far from the city.
That's not weird at all. It's what I would expect from someone who played old-school D&D. :)

I never got the chance to play D&D when I was growing up, but there were things called "Gamebooks", like "Fighting Fantasy". When I was a kid, I played the first one, which included a maze. So, I got some checkered paper and mapped the entire maze, start-to-finish.

*gives Tawm a high-five* :D
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Almost 4 years ago I posted my GEM Draw map of QFG4:

viewtopic.php?p=74397&hilit=gem#p74397

Discussing maps for QFG2, I dug up my two maps for Shapeir and Rasier, again rescued from oblivion by DOSBox.

(Oddly enough, I didn't make the desert map until I recreated these as Excel spreadsheets in the mid-'90s...)

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

goatmeal wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:27 pm
Almost 4 years ago I posted my GEM Draw map
Whoa! The GEM Draw seems pretty cool. Is that freeware? :D
goatmeal
Sierra Veteran

Post by goatmeal »

Tawmis wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:23 pm
Whoa! The GEM Draw seems pretty cool. Is that freeware? :D
It is freeware now. You will need the GEM Desktop program to run it. Here is my quick history/explanation of the GEM Desktop and associated programs, some of my screenshots from 2020, and where you can get the programs now for use with for DOS or DOSBox.

viewtopic.php?p=74397&hilit=gem#p74415

You can grab the files here:
http://www.deltasoft.com/downloads-gemworld.htm

Return to “The Quest for Glory Series”