Favorite King's Quest game and why? (And yes, I will even...

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Favorite King's Quest game and why? (And yes, I will even...

Post by Tawmis »

... count Mask of the Betrayer as a King's Quest game! :lol:

All right - let's get this section of the forum rolling by discussing your favorite KQ game - and why it's your favorite. After we get a reply or two in here I will give my answer (because I know you're sitting on the edge of the chair wanting to know, right?)
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: Favorite King's Quest game and why? (And yes, I will even...

Post by Collector »

VI! It is my favorite adventure game, not just KQ. It has everything, an intriguing, multithreaded story with great dialog, wonderful puzzles that are well integrated into the fabric of the plot, superb voice acting, charming hand painted graphics and great music that was well suited for the locale. All put together by one of the best ever game designers, Jane Jensen.

As Almirena said
King's Quest VI is the template by which all other adventure games should be based.

A fantastic, one of a kind, gem of a game.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Another vote for King's Quest VI!

With King's Quest III as a close second.

I spent so much time with Alexander in the third installment that he obviously became my favorite character of the series, so I was beguiled to know that in the sixth he was once again the protagonist. Beside, the Green Isles are a fascinating setting, and a wonderful detailed one, thanks mainly to the pen of Jane Jensen.

And then: great supporting characters, sweet humor, multi-branched storyline, wonderful musical score, superb voice acting and well-thought puzzles. I have to quote Almirena too: a perfect template for any other adventure!
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

For me it's King's Quest IV because the game seemed so huge! And it had a female character. (I have always been a fan of strong female characters!) And it also had a lot of fairy tale elements, which I always liked how they incorporated them into the King's Quest world and made it a part of the many puzzles. The best thing though that really sold me (aside from how big KQ4 seemed) - was the fact that there was night and day within the game. This simply amazed me that they had managed to do this - and better yet - some areas changed when it was night!

I was so floored by this.

KQ6 comes in as a close second, however.

KQ3, I loved. I did. Once I escaped from the Wizard. That Wizard frustrated me to no end...
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Ehehehe... Manannan could be real pain in the ***, but nonetheless can you really say that you didn't love that cute, little kitten? :D

I loved KQ4, except for the whale-tongue... Sometimes, I have nightmares about it!
JasefWisener
Third in Line

Post by JasefWisener »

VI is my favorite (story, characters, setting, everything). A second would probably be V. To me, that game was a big impact on my love for Sierra.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco83 wrote:Ehehehe... Manannan could be real pain in the ***, but nonetheless can you really say that you didn't love that cute, little kitten? :D
I loved KQ4, except for the whale-tongue... Sometimes, I have nightmares about it!
I will give it to you - the whale tongue was a bit... climb, climb, slide... damn... climb, climb, slide... damn... But it was much easier than getting around to beating Manannan... that Wizard... if I could mod KQ3, I would have made it so like you could call down a bolt of lightning on him and be free.

And wasn't there a misprint in the KQ Spellbook? Or am I mis-remembering...
JasefWisener wrote:VI is my favorite (story, characters, setting, everything). A second would probably be V. To me, that game was a big impact on my love for Sierra.
KQV, I agree was awesome. I enjoyed it because I think it was the first Sierra talkie game I had ever played. However, Cedric would often get on my nerves... :)
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Tawmis wrote: And wasn't there a misprint in the KQ Spellbook? Or am I mis-remembering...
Mold the dough in a cookie :?

ehm... maybe Pat?

I was furious I had to resort to a walkthrough on the web, since English isn't my native language and I couldn't figure "pat" out :x
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis »

AndreaDraco83 wrote:
Tawmis wrote: And wasn't there a misprint in the KQ Spellbook? Or am I mis-remembering...
Mold the dough in a cookie :?
ehm... maybe Pat?
I was furious I had to resort to a walkthrough on the web, since English isn't my native language and I couldn't figure "pat" out :x
Well for English not being your primary language you sure speak/write better than most Americans I know. :)

Yeah, that's what I thought... (about the mis-print) - because if I remember correctly I had to call the 900 # for the hint line for that part - and it was pretty costly (for me, back then). Father was not happy with me that I dialed a 900# without asking him first. :-D
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Tawmis wrote: Well for English not being your primary language you sure speak/write better than most Americans I know. :)

By the way, since we are speaking of King's Quest and puzzles, here

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/s ... hp?t=23394

someone posted a (downright silly and pretty dull, if you ask my opinion) link to an article that cites the 7 most sillies puzzles of adventure's history. KQ5 made an appearance for the Yeti/Pie puzzle, and you can read some comments of people complaining about the unfairness of that puzzle. And I disagree with them ;)
Akril
Sierra Veteran

Post by Akril »

I'd have to say KQ7, for a number of reasons. I loved the bright graphics, the animation and the varied whimsical lands, and it was the first time I played a game with dual protagonists. This game was also what motivated me to put some serious effort into learning to animate as well as drawing humans (two things which I had only dabbled in up to this point). Ever since I've played KQ7, I've aspired to make an adventure game of my own, and now that I've finally succeeded, I know I can make more.

KQ3 is a close second since it was the first KQ I was exposed to, and I have some vivid memories of it.
Sierra's Resource Files - There is more to Sierra's games than meets the eye...
My Sierra fan art and fan fiction.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Akril wrote:I'd have to say KQ7, for a number of reasons.
KQ7 was a little too childish for my taste (I'm thinking mainly of the puckish rabbit and a number of other talking creatures), but it surely had its very good moment. Another thing I painfully missed was the Society of Black Cloaks, a feature that I definitely wanted to see more expanded!
misslilo
Caffeine Queen

Post by misslilo »

I must admit, that I haven't played any of these :oops:
I do have the old KQ Collection, but never could find enough interest in installing it.
"You cannot escape your past, but you can make your future" - Diana Melkumova
Twitter/Steam/Twitch: @wowdane
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Post by AndreaDraco »

Misslilo, you really have to give a chance at King's Quest and, if sometimes it appears "tto much", keep in mind than, after that, you will land on King's Quest VI - and that's a real experience!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector »

I envy you misslilo, to be able to play KQ6 again for the first time. It is a game that you will never forget. many feel that it is the pinnacle of adventure gaming, and for good reason. It is like two or three games in one. Multiple paths with different outcomes. All at the masterful hand of Jane Jensen.

BTW, congrats for loosing your noob rank.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Return to “The King's Quest Series”