Page 1 of 3
Space Quest II Remake
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:27 pm
by MusicallyInspired
SQ2 by Infamous Adventures is about to be released. The IA team is chatting with people at
http://www.efnet.org/ for those interested in anticipation of its release. Put a name in the "webchat login" section and change the channel to #InfamousAdventures and then log right in.
Re: Space Quest II Remake
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:39 am
by Datadog
Re: Space Quest II Remake
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:58 am
by Rath Darkblade
Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

*jumps up and down*
I hope that all the very ~EVIL~ ways that Roger can die have been left in.

But hopefully it is now easier to avoid them.
Eek, I still remember Roger getting waxed, having an acid bath, having an encounter with "Alien" etc... ecch. Not a good mental picture!

Re: Space Quest II Remake
Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:18 pm
by Collector
The game should make any SQ fan very happy. It has high production values and is very faithful to the spirit of the SQ games. The style is modeled after SQIV and follows the original plot of SQ2 closely, but with a couple of new puzzles. While the narrator does not try to imitate Gary Owens' voice, he does a magnificent job of utilizing the same cutting, snarky edge that Owens gave.
If you have not tried it yet, what are you waiting for?
Re: Space Quest II Remake
Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:47 pm
by Rath Darkblade
Collector wrote:The game should make any SQ fan very happy.
Ahem... I point you towards my post, right above you.
And downloading now.
Re: Space Quest II Remake
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:38 am
by Rath Darkblade
Hrrrr... is anyone else playing this game? *hopeful* If life was a role-playing game, this game would be a "Killer DM/GM" (I'm not kidding!)

I played it for about 10 minutes and died 8 times. (OK, some of them I just killed Roger out of curiosity to see what would happen, but....)
Right now I'm having trouble with the alien plant. (I remember that one from the original SQ2 - it was always a killer). I've walked veeeeeeeeery carefully over to the upper left, and nothing bad is happening right now. However,
when I try to pass under the overhanging archway-looking plant, it squeezes me to death.
Is there any way to get through this alien plant maze? It's really, really beginning to get annoying.

Help....?

Re: Space Quest II Remake
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:24 am
by Maxor127
It plays exactly like the original except for a couple puzzle changes, so far. All of my deaths have pretty much been from trying to walk around hazards that I know are there or trying to figure out the controls. It took me a few deaths to figure out the rope swinging part because I misunderstood the controls for it. I blazed through it and made it to the dark maze, and then I quit trying to navigate it. I always hated that part.
Re: Space Quest II Remake
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:44 am
by Datadog
Rath Darkblade wrote:Right now I'm having trouble with the alien plant. (I remember that one from the original SQ2 - it was always a killer). I've walked veeeeeeeeery carefully over to the upper left, and nothing bad is happening right now. However,
when I try to pass under the overhanging archway-looking plant, it squeezes me to death. 
This part's slightly evil.
They intentionally made it so that anyone who played the original would overlook the new puzzle - and also made it so that anyone who solved the maze still wouldn't be able to get through.
On the plus side, the puzzle's fairly simple. If you've been exploring properly (i.e. poking around in holes), you probably already have everything you need to get past it. If you have the right item, try letting yourself get killed by the plant and watch what happens for a clue.
Re: Space Quest II Remake
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:33 pm
by Collector
A user on IA's forum has called the IA team the "New Guys from Andromeda", and in my opinion after this effort, a mantle well deserved.
Re: Space Quest II Remake
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:34 pm
by Tawmis
There's something missing - unless I am too stupid to figure it out. In the beginning, when your "watch" beeps and you release the broom - how do you look at the watch to get the message?
EDIT: NM. Figured it out seconds after posting this.
Re: Space Quest II Remake
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:01 am
by Rath Darkblade
Datadog wrote:Rath Darkblade wrote:Right now I'm having trouble with the alien plant. (I remember that one from the original SQ2 - it was always a killer). I've walked veeeeeeeeery carefully over to the upper left, and nothing bad is happening right now. However,
when I try to pass under the overhanging archway-looking plant, it squeezes me to death. 
This part's slightly evil.
They intentionally made it so that anyone who played the original would overlook the new puzzle - and also made it so that anyone who solved the maze still wouldn't be able to get through.
On the plus side, the puzzle's fairly simple. If you've been exploring properly (i.e. poking around in holes), you probably already have everything you need to get past it. If you have the right item, try letting yourself get killed by the plant and watch what happens for a clue.
Hmmm... I think I know what you're talking about, but it's still not helping.
You mean the green rabbit who falls in the hole, and I have to take its carcass and feed it to the plant, right? I tried that several times last night, got a few messages like "That was stupid", and was then fed to the plant instead. Ugh.
Any help there?

Re: Space Quest II Remake
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:01 am
by Collector
Remember, Roger is a sick man.
Did you try combining any objects?
Re: Space Quest II Remake
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:04 am
by Rath Darkblade
Well huzzah - and don't I feel slightly stupid.

All I had to do was
combine the rabbit with the ordnance and give it to the plant. No need to go through the maze at all! Argh.
Anyway, I'm trying to make it to the swamp, but every time I do, those baboons show up and shoot me at the last minute.

Is there any way to give them the slip?
Re: Space Quest II Remake
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:57 am
by MusicallyInspired
You've gotta hide. Same puzzle as in the original.
Re: Space Quest II Remake
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:54 pm
by Rath Darkblade
Hmm? This is odd.

I tried hiding about five or six times, but those baboons found and shot me anyway.

The seventh time, they couldn't find me! Huzzah!
But... it's very strange.